HarryHood711

ODM DNA Dilemmas

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Just now, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I thought you had the 11' 1-5

Yours is a nice setup I would buy either of the 2 rods.

Mine is the 3/4  -4

i just bought a 11’ 1-5 but not odm

On 9/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, HarryHood711 said:

Does anyone who has this rod wish it had just a little more backbone? I currently have the 10' 3/4-4, never really thrown over 3 because I personally feel the rod can't handle it. I was messing around with an old-school GSB 1321L I have (needs rebuilt) and feel like that style rod might suit me better. Has anyone else had regret buying this rod or think the same regarding it being a little underpowered? I know my comparison isn't the best since they are clearly way different rods but I'm open to any input/valuable feedback. 

Try throwing 3+ on this rod.  I have the 10 1/2 dna  and it handles 3.5 oz ,  I haven't had the need to throw more that 3.5oz .  I also own the 9ft dna and I have no regrets buying either rod.  

On 9/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, HarryHood711 said:

I think it throws needles, some minnows like sp's etc just fine. I think it throws danny's, darters, any 1oz minnows like red fins etc, like total garbage. Mine is paired with a VSX200 so I know it's paired fine. The more I use it the less pleased I am. 

Can't say this has been my experience. In fact in my opinion, it absolutely slings a SS darter. I did have somewhat of a learning curve when I first cast the rod. I found that I had to slow down my casting motion and let the rod handle the load on it's own. Once I did that I felt like this rod eats 1.5-3.5 oz for lunch. 

55 mins ago, bajanfish said:

Can't say this has been my experience. In fact in my opinion, it absolutely slings a SS darter. I did have somewhat of a learning curve when I first cast the rod. I found that I had to slow down my casting motion and let the rod handle the load on it's own. Once I did that I felt like this rod eats 1.5-3.5 oz for lunch. 

Maybe in reality I'm just throwing it too hard and that's why I feel most plugs fall on their face. I am definitely used to older style rods, this is my first mod/mod fast rod as well. 

I still think that the 3/4 to 3+ oz. rod is pretty much a in between stick that promises to cover all the bases. Covers some not all.

Bottom line is you need 3 rods to do it all.

1. A 1/2 oz. to 2 oz for bay and light tackle fishing.

2. A 1-3 oz. to cover most beach and rocky situations. My favorite.

3. A 2-5 oz. to handle big plugs and big fish.

Even when you get used to casting a Mod/Fast rod you will still be stuck in the marketing of the 3/4 to 3+ oz rod.
My 1-3 is much the same but handles both ends very good. Not my exp. with the 3/4 +

4 mins ago, LowEnd said:

I still think that the 3/4 to 3+ oz. rod is pretty much a in between stick that promises to cover all the bases. Covers some not all.

Bottom line is you need 3 rods to do it all.

1. A 1/2 oz. to 2 oz for bay and light tackle fishing.

2. A 1-3 oz. to cover most beach and rocky situations. My favorite.

3. A 2-5 oz. to handle big plugs and big fish.

Even when you get used to casting a Mod/Fast rod you will still be stuck in the marketing of the 3/4 to 3+ oz rod.
My 1-3 is much the same but handles both ends very good. Not my exp. with the 3/4 +

Just 3 rods:wag:

I used to own a 3/4-3 DNA and I agree with Ryan that the Lami Carbon Surf 1-5 is the optimal rod out of the two. It is $50 or so less than the DNA, and it throws plugs from a 1oz bucktail/topknock all the way up to a 3-4 oz metal lip/pencil popper very well. I've caught fish on sandy beaches, boulder fields, and at the canal with it and it has worked well in all scenarios.

7 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

Maybe in reality I'm just throwing it too hard and that's why I feel most plugs fall on their face. I am definitely used to older style rods, this is my first mod/mod fast rod as well. 

Yeah, can't hurt to give that a try and see if it works for you. The rod that my DNA replaced was a "broomstick" as well so I totally understand you. 

10 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

There's your problem you gotta let the rod load. 

15 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

There's your problem you gotta let the rod load. 

In other words, don't bring a rod back as far as an older rod, keep it more vertical to allow the rod to load itself vs you loading it? 

5 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

In other words, don't bring a rod back as far as an older rod, keep it more vertical to allow the rod to load itself vs you loading it? 

In layman's terms, you maybe putting too much force into you cast.

On 21/09/2022 at 3:31 PM, CutGrassCatchBass said:

I used to own a 3/4-3 DNA and I agree with Ryan that the Lami Carbon Surf 1-5 is the optimal rod out of the two. It is $50 or so less than the DNA, and it throws plugs from a 1oz bucktail/topknock all the way up to a 3-4 oz metal lip/pencil popper very well. I've caught fish on sandy beaches, boulder fields, and at the canal with it and it has worked well in all scenarios.

The 10 or the 11 footer ?

Thanx.

2 hours ago, snapper1 said:

The 10 or the 11 footer ?

Thanx.

I have the 10' rod because I'm on the shorter side and I don't want to high stick while standing on rocks, especially at the canal. I have handled the 11' as well though, and both models seem to load fairly well throughout their range, or at least up to 4oz.