HarryHood711

ODM DNA Dilemmas

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I’m with Pickerel92 on this. A lot of 3/4 to 3 or 4 oz rods don’t seem to do either end of the rating well. Or the top end just isn’t there.

No exp. with the DNA but have a St. Croix and used a Century SS 1265 and felt the same. They are nice rods but for me just lacked that confidence on the top end.

Are they useless? No. But I grab other rods that I feel that can handle changing situations better.

11 hours ago, bajanfish said:

How much does a fast sinking 155 stick shadd weigh? 3 4/4 OZ? I have ZERO issues throwing that with this exact rod. It comfortably throws biggish metal lips, and 3oz darters as well. It absolutely slings smaller plugs like minnow plugs and needlefish. As for fighting fish i've never felt out gunned fighting jacks, tarpon etc. I was apprehensive when I initially bought it but I can honestly say that it's exceeded all of my initial expectations. 

I think it throws needles, some minnows like sp's etc just fine. I think it throws danny's, darters, any 1oz minnows like red fins etc, like total garbage. Mine is paired with a VSX200 so I know it's paired fine. The more I use it the less pleased I am. 

27 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

I think it throws needles, some minnows like sp's etc just fine. I think it throws danny's, darters, any 1oz minnows like red fins etc, like total garbage. Mine is paired with a VSX200 so I know it's paired fine. The more I use it the less pleased I am. 

Redfins: nothing really throws a Redfin very well. 

I don’t have this DNA but I have started assuming that .5 or .75 - 3 rods won’t be great for metal lips etc. 

(Except for my now dearly departed Shimano Speedmaster 9’ .5 - 3ounce. That was great for the upper end but hard work casting anything under 1.5 - especially after my wife broke 2” off the top LOL.)

I even completely separated my 3 OZ plus plugs & jigs from everything else. Those will require my 1-5 (really 2-5) blank. 

On 9/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, HarryHood711 said:

Does anyone who has this rod wish it had just a little more backbone? I currently have the 10' 3/4-4, never really thrown over 3 because I personally feel the rod can't handle it. I was messing around with an old-school GSB 1321L I have (needs rebuilt) and feel like that style rod might suit me better. Has anyone else had regret buying this rod or think the same regarding it being a little underpowered? I know my comparison isn't the best since they are clearly way different rods but I'm open to any input/valuable feedback. 

I currently have the 11' 1oz - 5oz and 11' 3oz-8oz ODM DNA rods. I bought them because I thought the TFO 10'6" 2-6oz was a little stiff for my shoulder (partial rotator cuff tear).

After using the DNAs for 2 seasons now, my 2oz-6oz TFO seems a lot less stiff than I realized. 

I really like the DNAs, because they are mod-heavy, compared to the heavy TFO. The 1-5 and the 3-8 both feel like they easily handle the work loads I give them.

The 1-5 is my popper rod. I can throw poppers noticeably farther with the 1-5 DNA compared to the TFO. I recently caught a 45", 30lb+ striper on the 1-5 oz DNA, at the canal, mid-tide when the current was riping. I had no problem getting that fish in. With this rod I often throw 2.75oz & 3oz poppers, 3oz Roberts Rangers, 2-3oz kastmasters, etc.

The 3-8 DNA is my canal jigging rod. I love this rod for jigging. It's mod-heavy action makes it easy to cast, yet it has plenty of backbone for the 3-6oz lures I typically throw with it.

For what it's worth, I have a 10' 6" 3/4-4oz TFO. It is mod-heavy rather than heavy like the 2-6oz TFO. I use the 3/4-4oz for 2.75oz & 3oz poppers, 2-3oz kastmasters, 1.25-1.5 lures like x-raps, sp minnows, etc. It handles all these lures very nicely.

I have that exact rod asked about with a VR 175.

Pros are it’s a really nice and lightweight setup. Well balanced and easy to carry and fish while covering a lot of ground. It’s a versatile rod and you can throw a wide range of lures with it. 

Cons are I would say it’s a decent pencil popper rod. Not too bad but I had some problems with getting the pencil to work immediately on really long casts. Throws metal lips in the 3 oz range decent enough. 

It’s a good rod for sand beaches I would say. Maybe not so great for when you’re fishing around rocks when you need more  backbone to pull or steer small to medium sized fish away from rocks in strong current. I had trouble doing that in a couple of situations. 

6 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

I have that exact rod asked about with a VR 175.

Pros are it’s a really nice and lightweight setup. Well balanced and easy to carry and fish while covering a lot of ground. It’s a versatile rod and you can throw a wide range of lures with it. 

Cons are I would say it’s a decent pencil popper rod. Not too bad but I had some problems with getting the pencil to work immediately on really long casts. Throws metal lips in the 3 oz range decent enough. 

It’s a good rod for sand beaches I would say. Maybe not so great for when you’re fishing around rocks when you need more  backbone to pull or steer small to medium sized fish away from rocks in strong current. I had trouble doing that in a couple of situations. 

I can't get a gibbs pencil to work for sh*t. I can work cordell pencil's ok, caught some nice gator blues earlier this season on those. 

For me I lean into my 9' DNA throwing a Doc and I enjoy it, but the backbone of the 10' lami carbon surf 1-5 is perfect for those larger plugs and metal lips like bigwoods or 3oz dannys. But at the same expense that rod really isnt ideal for throwing anything under 1oz

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

GSB 1321m or L they'll be the best overall surf blanks long after their no longer available.

It seems more prefer the M. I’m not too sure the difference honestly. 

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I currently have the 11' 1oz - 5oz and 11' 3oz-8oz ODM DNA rods. I bought them because I thought the TFO 10'6" 2-6oz was a little stiff for my shoulder (partial rotator cuff tear).

After using the DNAs for 2 seasons now, my 2oz-6oz TFO seems a lot less stiff than I realized. 

I really like the DNAs, because they are mod-heavy, compared to the heavy TFO. The 1-5 and the 3-8 both feel like they easily handle the work loads I give them.

The 1-5 is my popper rod. I can throw poppers noticeably farther with the 1-5 DNA compared to the TFO. I recently caught a 45", 30lb+ striper on the 1-5 oz DNA, at the canal, mid-tide when the current was riping. I had no problem getting that fish in. With this rod I often throw 2.75oz & 3oz poppers, 3oz Roberts Rangers, 2-3oz kastmasters, etc.

The 3-8 DNA is my canal jigging rod. I love this rod for jigging. It's mod-heavy action makes it easy to cast, yet it has plenty of backbone for the 3-6oz lures I typically throw with it.

For what it's worth, I have a 10' 6" 3/4-4oz TFO. It is mod-heavy rather than heavy like the 2-6oz TFO. I use the 3/4-4oz for 2.75oz & 3oz poppers, 2-3oz kastmasters, 1.25-1.5 lures like x-raps, sp minnows, etc. It handles all these lures very nicely.

Have you thrown 5 or close to it with the 1-5?

50 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Have you thrown 5 or close to it with the 1-5?

No. I don't believe I've thrown over 4oz with the 1-5. If I'm throwing something that weighs 5oz, I use my 3-8oz rated one. I often thrown 5oz or 6oz jig heads with sluggos at the canal. 5-6oz is in the sweet spot for the 3-8oz DNA.

I have the 10' dna and it does have somewhat of a softer tip. It does cast 1oz plugs like sp's and bombers. but starts to get a little soft around 3- 3 1/2.

7 hours ago, zak-striper said:

No. I don't believe I've thrown over 4oz with the 1-5. If I'm throwing something that weighs 5oz, I use my 3-8oz rated one. I often thrown 5oz or 6oz jig heads with sluggos at the canal. 5-6oz is in the sweet spot for the 3-8oz DNA.

I was looking at this for big wood,non canal rod.

Thanks for your input 

I have the 10 3/4 -4  i find its a good rod ive used it all season have had no issues turning fish working wood up to 4 oz . Throwing down in the lower end it doesnt seem that great . I throw big metal lips and needles with no issues i like the moderate action  of the top section . I would have liked a 1-5 better but this is what i have .

24 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I have the 10 3/4 -4  i find its a good rod ive used it all season have had no issues turning fish working wood up to 4 oz . Throwing down in the lower end it doesnt seem that great . I throw big metal lips and needles with no issues i like the moderate action  of the top section . I would have liked a 1-5 better but this is what i have .

I thought you had the 11' 1-5

Yours is a nice setup I would buy either of the 2 rods.