ODM DNA Dilemmas

Rate this topic

HarryHood711

Does anyone who has this rod wish it had just a little more backbone? I currently have the 10' 3/4-4, never really thrown over 3 because I personally feel the rod can't handle it. I was messing around with an old-school GSB 1321L I have (needs rebuilt) and feel like that style rod might suit me better. Has anyone else had regret buying this rod or think the same regarding it being a little underpowered? I know my comparison isn't the best since they are clearly way different rods but I'm open to any input/valuable feedback. 

Where do you go when the lights go out?

They have plenty of power. Maybe they’re too moderate for you. Are you used to a faster rod? I had no problem landing a 30 lb bass with my back bay rod and never had any problems with my 10 even in heavy surf here in Jersey sand beaches. I never heard from anyone thay it needs more back bone. I try to stay in the rod specs. I never had an issue. Just try one. What are you got to lose

Edited by Steve_M

The DNA’s are in my opinion very light, fast, but do have the strength. My what is it, 7’ 6”? Backbay edition, It took on a cow nose ray this past summer. I thought the rod was going to snap, or my Vr50 was going to break off the reel seat, but it took that giant on! Maybe they aren’t stiff, but these rods do have strength.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

I only own the 8' and 9' DNA's. The 9 has become my goto 9'er. I'm only fishing plugs to maybe 3oz and jigs to 2oz. I own a pile of rods, including high end odm models. But, that rod I fish alot of the time. Maybe it has to do with the mojo attached to it. I've caught a bunch of big fish in current with it and haven't felt under gunned.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

Here’s my hot take on it.

The 10’ DNA is just another one of the many useless “in between” rods that are out there.

No fun for catching small fish, and would get owned by the fish of a lifetime. Doesn’t toss small plugs great and can’t toss large plugs at all.  I guess you better hope there are a lot of medium fish around that are eating medium plugs. 

It’s just meant for the average angler catching average fish.

Toss big wood on the big lamiglas and don’t let your gear (or gear manufacturers) force you into being average.

Just now, Pickerel92 said:

Here’s my hot take on it.

The 10’ DNA is just another one of the many useless “in between” rods that are out there.

No fun for catching small fish, and would get owned by the fish of a lifetime. Doesn’t toss small plugs great and can’t toss large plugs at all.  I guess you better hope there are a lot of medium fish around that are eating medium plugs. 

It’s just meant for the average angler catching average fish.

Toss big wood on the big lamiglas and don’t let your gear (or gear manufacturers) force you into being average.

This take is exactly what my gripe was. It tosses some small plugs ok but others meh. Forget about bigger plugs too. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks this. 

Where do you go when the lights go out?

How much does a fast sinking 155 stick shadd weigh? 3 4/4 OZ? I have ZERO issues throwing that with this exact rod. It comfortably throws biggish metal lips, and 3oz darters as well. It absolutely slings smaller plugs like minnow plugs and needlefish. As for fighting fish i've never felt out gunned fighting jacks, tarpon etc. I was apprehensive when I initially bought it but I can honestly say that it's exceeded all of my initial expectations. 

27 mins ago, bajanfish said:

How much does a fast sinking 155 stick shadd weigh? 3 4/4 OZ? I have ZERO issues throwing that with this exact rod. It comfortably throws biggish metal lips, and 3oz darters as well. It absolutely slings smaller plugs like minnow plugs and needlefish. As for fighting fish i've never felt out gunned fighting jacks, tarpon etc. I was apprehensive when I initially bought it but I can honestly say that it's exceeded all of my initial expectations. 

What reel do you pair yours with?

9 mins ago, bajanfish said:

8000 Stradic.

Oh nice reel. Double what Iuse . (I have been using a 4000) I should really leave a bigger reel on her. I have used with 55500 ultegra and just got a Spheros  5000

. Do you find you get powerful enough hook set? 

Edited by jeffapeikin