DoorGunner

CHRISTMAS 2022.

Rate this topic

258 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

84 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? Today is a big day. It's October 1st and as we all know it's the first day when we can activate our Snoopy Christmas Countdown Clocks. So run out and pick up some brand new AAA batteries so the entire family can watch the days pass by till we can all say, Merry Christmas.

IMG_1479.JPG.0541a8574ff1974bb6ca50120dabba14.JPG 

Edited by DoorGunner

I have the batteries but not the clock.  My wife put it away where she can find it when we need it.  But, she can't find it.  It's probably with the THANKSGIVING stuff.    

83 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? It's only three weeks till one of the all time great classics airs. Sunday October 23 at 8 PM is, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

This animated classic first aired on October 27, 1966 and was sponsored by the Coca-Cola company and also Dolly Madison baked goods. Actor Peter Robbins was only ten years old when he became the voice of Charlie Brown.

Peter Robbins Blondie 1968 (cropped).JPG

Amazon.com: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown : Peter Robbins,  Christopher Shea, Sally Dryer, Kathy Steinberg, Gail DeFaria, Lisa DeFaria,  Glenn Mendelson, Ann Altieri, Bill Melendez, Charles M. Schulz, Bill  Melendez, Charles

History of the Tree for Boston

On 6 December 1917, 2 ships collided in Halifax Harbour, causing a devastating explosion. It killed nearly 2,000 people and left hundreds severely injured and homeless.

Boston sent immediate medical aid and relief supplies to Nova Scotians. We will never forget this support and kindness from the people of Boston. To say thank you, the province gives Boston the gift of a beautiful Christmas tree every year.

2021 marks the 104th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion and the 50th anniversary of the Nova Scotia Tree for Boston tradition.

https://novascotia.ca/treeforboston/

19 hours ago, TogginBob said:

I have the batteries but not the clock.  My wife put it away where she can find it when we need it.  But, she can't find it.  It's probably with the THANKSGIVING stuff.    

I've got a snoopy "tree" and keep the clock in the box with the tree so it doesn't get lost.

On 9/19/2022 at 0:01 AM, DoorGunner said:

96 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? Many consider The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as the official start of the Christmas Season. We actually know that it really begins the evening they air, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Anyway, back to the parade. 

Macy's is the second largest consumer of helium in the world with the United States government being #1. 

From 1942 to 1944 the parade was cancelled and Macy's donated the 650 pounds of rubber used to make the balloons to the war effort along with the helium for barrage balloons and lighter than air ships that patrolled the east coast as submarine spotters.

Barrage balloon - Wikipedia

The Other 'Silent Service' – U.S. Navy Airships of WW2 -  MilitaryHistoryNow.com   

Missing being a Navy parachute rigger at Lakehurst Naval Air Station?

On 9/28/2022 at 0:01 AM, DoorGunner said:

87 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? Kids of today will never know the thrill of this magic book. As kids we couldn't wait for the delivery of the greatest book of all time. Me and my brother would race home after school every day to get to the book first. We were allowed to ask Santa for one big toy so it took many many days of carefully looking at every page to make our choice which changed just about every day. It was like looking at the full inventory of Santa's workshop. 

Times change and the Book is long gone but still missed by many. I can still look back and smile just remembering the thrill. This was the greatest book of all time.

1977 Simpsons Sears Christmas Wish Book Catalogue Canada image 1  

Many people would not have had a Merry Christmas if the Sears order was delivered late.  Most of us living south of the Pine Barrens could not get to Philly for Christmas shopping in the 1940s

82 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? 88% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Turkey consumption has increased by 104% since 1970. 46 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving, 22 million on Christmas and 19 million on Easter. The average weight of a turkey purchased at Thanksgiving is 15 pounds. The heaviest male turkey ever raised weighed 86 pounds. (yes, 86 pounds)

A domesticated male turkey can reach a weight of 30 pounds in just 18 weeks. 

Scaled-back Thanksgiving plans leave turkey farmers in limbo | PBS NewsHour

Ready-Made Thanksgiving Dinner | Minnesota Monthly 

Posted (edited)

On 9/19/2022 at 0:01 AM, DoorGunner said:

96 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? Many consider The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as the official start of the Christmas Season. We actually know that it really begins the evening they air, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Anyway, back to the parade. 

Macy's is the second largest consumer of helium in the world with the United States government being #1. 

From 1942 to 1944 the parade was cancelled and Macy's donated the 650 pounds of rubber used to make the balloons to the war effort along with the helium for barrage balloons and lighter than air ships that patrolled the east coast as submarine spotters.

Barrage balloon - Wikipedia

The Other 'Silent Service' – U.S. Navy Airships of WW2 -  MilitaryHistoryNow.com   

I remember seeing the air ships as a kid growing up in the 60's. They were still flying them periodically out of South Weymouth Naval Air Station. They were loud as hell too as I recall. Here's a pic of a Navy Blimp making an emergency landing at S. Weymouth NAS. The building in the background was one of the blimp hangars. The rounded doors were on curved rails that split in the center and each half opening to the sides of the hangar. 

1280px-US_Navy_blimp_K-38_making_emergency_landing_at_NAS_South_Weymouth_in_1943.jpg

Edited by slicedcornbread

81 Days till CHRISTMAS

Did you know? This Thanksgiving more than 50 million pumpkin pies will be consumed making it the most popular pie for the holiday. However the year round favorite is still the apple pie. 

And how is this for a Thanksgiving pie chart? 

1*_b6ZPgWu32z2NJ4Ez8YB5w.png