Capt.Castafly

Albies are King !

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

We may have just lost the Queen Lady recently, but here, "Albies are King! "

Are you ready for some Football?  It's been the best albie season so far in the last four years.

They seem to be everywhere, evenly distributed along our ocean coastline and some in our bay waters and willing to chew.

They can be caught by surf fishermen on jetties, beaches, others on boats, jet skis, paddle boards.

So far so good this season as far as good weather. No tropical storms, large wave surges, extreme winds so far.

It's totally crazy. If you haven't gotten in on the act, drop your weedwacker and grab your rod.

Show us (here) your best albie photos for all to share. Maybe get some couch potatoes off the couch.

20220909_075804.jpg

20220914_065348.jpg

20220908_063844.jpg

20220914_082018.jpg

I have a few under my belt this year, although I haven't yet gotten in on the heavy action of late...but I will say that the one single albie I've taken on the fly so far this was a far more satisfying experience than all the other albies, plus one bonito, I've caught so far this season...which is saying a lot given that I consider any albie catch, by any method, to be one of the more thrilling experiences of each season...

Posted (edited)

Albies are totally awesome. But there is only one King. The Silver King ! Once you catch one you will know why. Still so pleased with this years action. Fabulous 

Edited by turkaholic
Spelling

57 mins ago, turkaholic said:

Albies are totally awesome. But there is only one King. The Silver King ! Once you catch one you will know why. Still so pleased with this years action. Fabulous 

Albies are by far the best inshore fish that we have up here. Damn shame that we only get them for ~6 weeks each year, and lucky if it's that much. I haven't been able to get out so far but that changes monday and tuesday plus vacation is in two weeks. Hopefully they are still around then.

Had a good day yesterday that I had to keep abbreviated (had to leave at 10 - family commitments)...landed 5 albies + a good size blue (8-10 lbs), with two of the albies being caught on the fly (other 3 spin caught albies + blue caught on albie snax)...

BD07B724-0BA2-427E-818E-0AD683019DB2.jpeg

On 9/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, albacized said:

Fish are definitely running somewhat smaller than a week or two ago

That actually good news for me. Most of my fly fishing experience is on freshwater, and I’m not sure I’m ready yet to handle the big albies I was getting last week on spin gear. 

Did the bait and switch thang in the wee hours then went and Got my speed demon fix ..plus managed a super slam  ..bluefish, striper, albies, scup

IMG_8333.jpg

20220920_121743.jpg

20220917_143810.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-074856_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-074830_Video Player.jpg

A 2/5 grind today, similar yesterday. All three lost fish were right for while, unusual to drop that many.

3 albies and a damn nice bone to show for it. Both days, stepped on the rocks about 6:15a and off around 4p. 

Twice today I casted forever, said **** it I need a break and you know it - blow ups right in front of me. Put my crap on and both times hooked up, hot lucky there. 

Tried to leave, lined up, took a few steps and heard that sound. Another unproductive 45 mins more - eff those fish lol. 

Damn close to 20 hours on the rocks over two days, no food or water until back at the truck. Nice to know my broken ass can still do it. 

1CDEDE48-688C-4A6B-8210-F7F1B658C74A.jpeg

CDD3346D-CE4F-40BC-A129-00B47791F912.jpeg

2 hours ago, thaistick said:

Did the bait and switch thang in the wee hours then went and Got my speed demon fix ..plus managed a super slam  ..bluefish, striper, albies, scup

IMG_8333.jpg

20220920_121743.jpg

20220917_143810.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-074856_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-074830_Video Player.jpg

Nice Scup :-)