Capt.Castafly

False Albacore are "King!"

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

First year "chasing" albies and I'm hooked (pun intended?). Saturday got out in a boat in the sound. Checked out from plum gut over to the race all morning with no action. Finally found some breaking fish in the middle of that area and the brother in law hooked into two and landed one. The fish were gone as quickly as they had showed so we move north in close to shore to get out of some of the wash and wind. Found a few schools tight in to the shore further east in between the two rivers but it was tough fishing. 

Got home and the wife was out so I decided to drive the beach. No real action out front but saw a few schools of albies running the channel but were gone before you could blink. Went back yesterday for a beach day and saw a school run the channel but again were gone before you could even pick up a rod. On the way out saw a school corner some bait tight to shore but they didnt stick around. 

I know its albie fishing and that it takes patience and more than a little luck but I really would like to pop my albie cherry...

49 mins ago, AClarke said:

First year "chasing" albies and I'm hooked (pun intended?). Saturday got out in a boat in the sound. Checked out from plum gut over to the race all morning with no action. Finally found some breaking fish in the middle of that area and the brother in law hooked into two and landed one. The fish were gone as quickly as they had showed so we move north in close to shore to get out of some of the wash and wind. Found a few schools tight in to the shore further east in between the two rivers but it was tough fishing. 

Got home and the wife was out so I decided to drive the beach. No real action out front but saw a few schools of albies running the channel but were gone before you could blink. Went back yesterday for a beach day and saw a school run the channel but again were gone before you could even pick up a rod. On the way out saw a school corner some bait tight to shore but they didnt stick around. 

I know its albie fishing and that it takes patience and more than a little luck but I really would like to pop my albie cherry...

You just need to make about 5000 more casts and then you’ll get one. :)

1 hour ago, AClarke said:

You picked a good year to start. I can't remember a better start, at least for me.

My advice is strike while the iron is hot. Call in sick. Go every day this week. A hurricane could come and put a stop to it.

My next advice is watch for the high hook and copy him. Don't mug him or try to steal his rock. It's usually not the rock. Just figure out how he's doing it. It'll be subtle, but it'll be different from everyone else.

And get 15 and 20 lb floro. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need it. You do. If you want more than moderate success. 

Just watch out for Seagar on the shelf right now. Might be a QC issue. 

Like Z-man said. If you see fish or have confidence there may be fish in the area it's best to fish there and blind cast and hope you hook up or they pop up within casting range and take a shot. Like you said if you see the fish while driving or walking they are usually gone by the time you can get your rod and cast. Even if your casting sometime they pop up in another area and by the time you get a cast off they are gone. It's good to cast anyway because you may get lucky and hook up. 

Posted (edited)

The fish of a thousand casts....

If you're driving the beaches, they're definitely there zooming back and forth.

Dead looking, windy, choppy water out front yesterday.  No blitzes, no birds.

Despite that, we landed about 10 of them (between four people).  All blind casting kastmasters.  Letting your spoon sink for about 10-15 seconds and moderate retrieve rate.  We were NOT reeling at lightning speeds that most people do.

Cast, cast, cast.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Posted (edited)

41 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Despite that, we landed about 10 of them (between four people).  All blind casting kastmasters.  Letting your spoon sink for about 10-15 seconds and moderate retrieve rate.  We were NOT reeling at lightning speeds that most people do.

Cast, cast, cast.

Of 4 days fishing, 1 day they were annihilating the skipping fast retrieve. 

The other 3 days for me, all let sink, slowish retrieve. 

For awhile my son fishing next to me couldn't hook up on fast during a time I think I hooked 4.

Edited by mikez2

Potential Party Pooper Alert

150115.png.a36f2b503f5310bd1fdf48bd835bac26.png

Unfortunately, it looks like powerful Hurricane Fiona will track NE off New England this week. No direct impact, but decent odds for groundswell around next weekend 

2 mins ago, rst3 said:

Potential Party Pooper Alert

150115.png.a36f2b503f5310bd1fdf48bd835bac26.png

Unfortunately, it looks like powerful Hurricane Fiona will track NE off New England this week. No direct impact, but decent odds for groundswell around next weekend 

Awe shucks, I guess I won't skip my nephew's wedding to fish after all.

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Awe shucks, I guess I won't skip my nephew's wedding to fish after all.

Weddings are so much better than fishing.......

( ¬ _¬)

Still 5 days out though..so some change to situation is expected..but if you ARE potentially ditching wedding..maybe take a late week gander at the surfing forecast to see if swells will just be a nuisance, or actually somewhat nasty for certain locations

The first day of the swell might be ok but after that there’s a good chance the water will dirty up. That’s not gonna work. 

12 mins ago, rst3 said:

Weddings are so much better than fishing.......

( ¬ _¬)

Still 5 days out though..so some change to situation is expected..but if you ARE potentially ditching wedding..maybe take a late week gander at the surfing forecast to see if swells will just be a nuisance, or actually somewhat nasty for certain locations

Nah, there really wasn't ever a chance of me skipping the wedding. Much.

I WILL be chiding my nephew for getting married in Albie season. 

I will NOT be mentioning I got married on the same date.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

You just need to make about 5000 more casts and then you’ll get one. :)

I look forward to the next 4850 casts!

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

You picked a good year to start. I can't remember a better start, at least for me.

My advice is strike while the iron is hot. Call in sick. Go every day this week. A hurricane could come and put a stop to it.

My next advice is watch for the high hook and copy him. Don't mug him or try to steal his rock. It's usually not the rock. Just figure out how he's doing it. It'll be subtle, but it'll be different from everyone else.

And get 15 and 20 lb floro. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need it. You do. If you want more than moderate success. 

Just watch out for Seagar on the shelf right now. Might be a QC issue. 

With the hurricane swell currently forcasted thursday night/friday morning looks like a good day to play hooky and surf the afternoon so i think you just convinced me to maybe take tomorrow or wednesday or both to try and get on a bite.

I havent ventured out to any of the obvious spots for albies but mid week morning may be worth a check. I usually would try and avoid crowds and drive the beach and set up on the jetty..

I just renewed my supply of 15 lb seaguar, hopefully its not to fresh....

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Cast, cast, cast.

Everyone here has been super encouraging and have convinced me to take a day or maybe two to hit the beach. I have a handful of colors and sizes of epoxies and some albie snax. Ill give an update tomorrow or wednesday. 

4 mins ago, AClarke said:

I havent ventured out to any of the obvious spots for albies but mid week morning may be worth a check. 

Mid week is what you want. 

As a new guy, you actually want a certain amount of crowd. Just seeing guys hook up gives confidence. Also, the regulars are a good bunch. At worse, they won't mug you. At best, they'll offer advice and help you land your fish.

Avoiding the riffraff makes all the difference. You rarely get fish to yourself. 

22 mins ago, Drew C. said:

The first day of the swell might be ok but after that there’s a good chance the water will dirty up. That’s not gonna work. 

Still aways out, but Fri looks to be the worst of this event. Prob still be splashy on Saturday morning, too. 

Fx for Matunuck

Screenshot_20220919-140953_Chrome.jpg.df7d424ba7f03af90661d93b0d02624e.jpg

Had an incredible weekend Albie fishing pushing around 12-16 fish between two mornings.  Of the past 5-6 years I've been targeting these fish; I'm at a loss for words with the carelessness of preserving a species I though / knew the Striped Bass fishery was in dire need of change...But after witnessing 25-30 people both mornings everyone wielding white buckets and continuing to fill them with 5-10 hardtails each both mornings really has me concerned.  With that being said, I understand the commercial guys taking a few for shark chartering, Lobster fishermen using them as bait, ect....  

By all means take fish home, eat what you legally catch and possess; but have some damn morality for the long term "big picture"...I'm sure most of these individuals have youngsters who would love to grow up and be able to look forward to the fall mornings to chase these fish.  People really have to start waking up and rub the glaze out of their eyes.

**PS- Clean up after yourselves as well....I swear these people leave more trash around the SoCo landscape then what Johnston Landfill sees in a month.