Capt.Castafly

False Albacore are "King!"

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Newport Striper said:

Experienced the same thing. Hit the surf last night and it was clear the cold front has slowed down the bite. Went out in the boat for albies this AM and despite the boat traffic, no one was hooking up. The birds were flying but not feeding. Disappointing 

Same with me.   There was something buzzing around.   Someone said macs but definitely not of the chub variety.   Maybe Spanish as they were smaller than albies.   No one was hooking up except on bass.   There were some nice bass around mixed in with schoolies.   

7 mins ago, notime said:

Same with me.   There was something buzzing around.   Someone said macs but definitely not of the chub variety.   Maybe Spanish as they were smaller than albies.   No one was hooking up except on bass.   There were some nice bass around mixed in with schoolies.   

There were stupid numbers of chubs today where I was. Three hours of it. 

On 9/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, notime said:

Most likely bullet tuna - both those and chubs have been buzzing around lately. Bullet tuna look a lot like a juvenile albie, about a foot long or less. They seem a lot harder to catch than the chub mackerel...There have been some spanish macs around as well, but while smaller than albies, blitzing spanish mackerel still make significant splashes. And they also torpedo themselves out of the water similar to king mackerel...so if you see what appears to be some 'bronze' color torpedoes jumping around, those are likely spanish

Despite having to keep yesterday's outing brief (had to leave by 10AM due family plans - daughter is visiting from the UK), I still had an ok trip - landing 5 fish out of 8 hook ups (including two on the fly). I feel like that day had double digits written all over it if I could've put in the time. Also landed a nice 10lb bluefish

They were so aggressive, I experienced something yesterday 3 times that probably only experienced a handful of times in total prior to that. And that was having fish already on as the lure/fly hit the water. It happened once while spin fishing with an unweighted albie snax and twice while fly fishing. The first of the two times with the fly, I had just caught one and was in the process of paying the line back out so I could have the full amount of line I needed to be stripped off. I missed that hit. The second time, the fish nailed it before I even had the line in my stripping hand... not sure how I lucked out to catch that one, but I did...pretty cool to see them that aggressive. 

The one beef I had was that I can't believe how many people can't tell the difference between albies breaking freely on their own, the the massive explosive splash they make when they hit someone's lure...I couldn't count the number of times a lure went flying in the directly of a hookup in progress, because they couldn't make that distinction...one of my three lost fish was due to that happening

8 mins ago, albacized said:

Despite having to keep yesterday's outing brief (had to leave by 10AM due family plans - daughter is visiting from the UK), I still had an ok trip - landing 5 fish out of 8 hook ups (including two on the fly). I feel like that day had double digits written all over it if I could've put in the time. Also landed a nice 10lb bluefish

They were so aggressive, I experienced something yesterday 3 times that probably only experienced a handful of times in total prior to that. And that was having fish already on as the lure/fly hit the water. It happened once while spin fishing with an unweighted albie snax and twice while fly fishing. The first of the two times with the fly, I had just caught one and was in the process of paying the line back out so I could have the full amount of line I needed to be stripped off. I missed that hit. The second time, the fish nailed it before I even had the line in my stripping hand... not sure how I lucked out to catch that one, but I did...pretty cool to see them that aggressive. 

The one beef I had was that I can't believe how many people can't tell the difference between albies breaking freely on their own, the the massive explosive splash they make when they hit someone's lure...I couldn't count the number of times a lure went flying in the directly of a hookup in progress, because they couldn't make that distinction...one of my three lost fish was due to that happening

I would call that an epic outing. Especially from shore and with fly rod. Right place right time. I’m still looking for a day like that. I casted for six hours on Friday knowing fish were around and they were not having it. Did have a few short strikes but no hookups. No one was catching. 

Just now, JimKu said:

I would call that an epic outing. Especially from shore and with fly rod. Right place right time. I’m still looking for a day like that. I casted for six hours on Friday knowing fish were around and they were not having it. Did have a few short strikes but no hookups. No one was catching. 

I've actually been redirecting my attention from the spot we normally run into each other to another (also well known) spot...at the usual spot, if you're not on the tip of that jetty (with all the crowd jammed there), you're at a disadvantage.While the place I was at yesterday could still be described as crowded, there is definitely more room and the fish are more apt to run up and down the rocks. By the way, yesterday blind casting albie snax worked better than epoxies as far as I could tell, with flies also being a hot offering if you fly fish

56 mins ago, albacized said:

Most likely bullet tuna - both those and chubs have been buzzing around lately. Bullet tuna look a lot like a juvenile albie, about a foot long or less. They seem a lot harder to catch than the chub mackerel...There have been some spanish macs around as well, but while smaller than albies, blitzing spanish mackerel still make significant splashes. And they also torpedo themselves out of the water similar to king mackerel...so if you see what appears to be some 'bronze' color torpedoes jumping around, those are likely spanish

The fish I saw did look like a baby Albie.    So it was no doubt a bullet mackerel.    And I had hooked up on a fish and it didn’t pull like a typical Albie before it dropped off.  Probably a bullet.   Thanks. 

1 hour ago, notime said:

The fish I saw did look like a baby Albie.    So it was no doubt a bullet mackerel.    And I had hooked up on a fish and it didn’t pull like a typical Albie before it dropped off.  Probably a bullet.   Thanks. 

Here’s a bullet tuna I caught several weeks ago...

FF52B4C9-A595-4C7A-9D6F-CCA18CA79C3E.jpeg

8FC65223-4C2D-4FFF-88D7-D65804F61A53.jpeg

36 mins ago, albacized said:

Here’s a bullet tuna I caught several weeks ago...

FF52B4C9-A595-4C7A-9D6F-CCA18CA79C3E.jpeg

8FC65223-4C2D-4FFF-88D7-D65804F61A53.jpeg

Caught a couple chubs and saw 2 spanish macs being pulled from there. I am heading down there tomorrow Am hopefully.

12 hours ago, albacized said:

I had the same thing twice this weekend.

The first time it seemed the fish had his mouth open and the lure dropped in. It was that quick. 

I saw it the second time. It targeted the splash of the lure hitting. After that I kept trying to slap my lure down to make a splash. Didn't work again.

Caught two albie today late afternoon in brutal conditions fishing from shore. The 4 other guys fishing for albies left about an hour after I got ther leaving the entire jetty to me and some other person fishing bait. I was getting bored with no action so I decided to try the bottom with a gulp jerk shad on a jig. After a few minutes the albies popped up right in front of me. My jig was already out so I reeled like heck to try and get into the zone and made it. One albie crushed it. I put a pink weighted albie snax on after releasing the fish. Another pod popped up quickly far out but reachable. Chucked it in the location and hooked up. That was it for awhile until right before sundown they popped up twice but I didn’t hook up. Up and down quick. I also caught two fluke. 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, JimKu said:

Caught two albie today late afternoon in brutal conditions fishing from shore. The 4 other guys fishing for albies left about an hour after I got ther leaving the entire jetty to me and some other person fishing bait. I was getting bored with no action so I decided to try the bottom with a gulp jerk shad on a jig. After a few minutes the albies popped up right in front of me. My jig was already out so I reeled like heck to try and get into the zone and made it. One albie crushed it. I put a pink weighted albie snax on after releasing the fish. Another pod popped up quickly far out but reachable. Chucked it in the location and hooked up. That was it for awhile until right before sundown they popped up twice but I didn’t hook up. Up and down quick. I also caught two fluke. 

Always a nice feeling when you stick it out after everyone has left and it pans out well - congrats

Edited by albacized

2 hours ago, albacized said:

Always a nice feeling when you stick it out after everyone has left and it pans out well - congrats

Somehow we got lucky yesterday. After leaving venue number one, which was crowded like an ant colony, we drove to our other favorite destination for the tide.

We couldn't believe our luck! Somehow the prime spot was open, with room for both.

All I can think of is the surf was too big for albie guys. Surf casters would have considered it mild but albies guys maybe don't like the splashy splash. Actually, it's landing albies on fly gear and lite spin gear that makes the difference. It's a pain landing them. We started with 12 lb leaders but no way that worked. We went to 15 but ultimately we lost about 10 between us at the rocks over the weekend.