bob_G

Saltiga question

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Maybe I should post this in the reel maintenance forum, but I'll try here first.

The knob on my handle of my Saltiga has really tightened up. Tried a couple of spray oils, didn't really work. The screw holding the knob to the handle is impossible to loosen up.

Easy fix would be a new handle.  But before I drop $100, I want to exhaust all options, providing there are any.

Many good tips on Google. 
Don't be surprised if just hitting the screw head with a hammer will break it loose.  
Good luck. 

Aluminum handle?  Maybe some distilled water and white vinegar and let is soak to break up the aluminum oxide build up?

It's 15 years old. ;)

Probably some built up crud under the handle knob. There was a time when Red Top serviced them, but whether that still is the case, I wouldn't have a clue.

8 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It's 15 years old. ;)

Probably some built up crud under the handle knob. There was a time when Red Top serviced them, but whether that still is the case, I wouldn't have a clue.

I wanted to put a power knob on, they're only about $25.  But I can't unscrew the old one.

So replacing the handle with a power knob is about a $100.  But as you know Mike, I need a power knob because the fish I catch r so big.:laugh:

5 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Aluminum handle?  Maybe some distilled water and white vinegar and let is soak to break up the aluminum oxide build up?

Thanks, gonna try it tomorrow.

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks, gonna try it tomorrow.

I've found PBlaster liquid unfreezes just about anything if you soak it long enough. 

Also, the handle/knob from your old Saltist 5000 may fit the Saltiga. If you still have the Saltist that is.  

7 mins ago, bdowning said:

I've found PBlaster liquid unfreezes just about anything if you soak it long enough. 

Also, the handle/knob from your old Saltist 5000 may fit the Saltiga. If you still have the Saltist that is.  

Tried PBlaster last year and this year, no dice. Freed it up a bit, but more is needed.

Good idea on the Saltist.  I'll pull it out of the draw with my old relic reels from decades ago.

9 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Vinegar seems to be the best, cheapest option for removing aluminum oxide.

I tried to find a stronger marine product if straight Vinegar doesn't work for Bob, but the only thing I dug up was STAR BRITE Aluminum Oxide cleaner, which uses sulphuric acid, urea, and Tetrafluoroborate to deep clean, break up, and bring the oxidation to a hazy head that can be easily scrubbed away to restore the original aluminum. 

25 bucks on Rainforest Home delivery 

51JXglpXpTL._AC_SY580_.jpg.587afcaf9d4017423c0384751ba37da5.jpg

6323fc0f866f6_61TpzYgU2L._AC_SY580_.jpg.30a3edeb2b12cd7c3ca6b3c717682a56.jpg

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

I wanted to put a power knob on, they're only about $25.  But I can't unscrew the old one.

So replacing the handle with a power knob is about a $100.  But as you know Mike, I need a power knob because the fish I catch r so big.:laugh:

Not sure you'd be happy with those power knob unless it's a direct fit. I know a great reel guy if you need...

9 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Pull the handle off and stick the knob end into a pot of boiling water. 

Never thought of that.:idea:.  Thanks, will do tomorrow.

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Never thought of that.:idea:.  Thanks, will do tomorrow.

It worked for me once on a Saragossa that had a stuck screw that held in the line roller. 

Also, perhaps toss in the freezer for a night if the boiling does not work. 

Grab a bottle of CLR and soak it in that overnight. Could even warm it up slightly if you’re really motivated. 

That said, far and away, the best thing I’ve found is a pneumatic hammer and a bit attachment, like the one pictured bellow. You attach your bit to the end of it and a box wrench on the middle, allows you to vibrate the bolt as you slowly rotate it out. It’s worked when everything else has failed for me. 

B9D0AD60-F288-48EB-B9BA-FE4AC8FB6872.jpeg