Captain Ahab

Sad news

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Only knew Tom from his posts here on SOL. From what I remember, he loved to fish and would catch in the most unlikely of places. 

Only fished with him once, but through his networking, met a lot of great people.

May he rest in peace.

I had the pleasure of talking with him on several occasions while fishing at the local spots. Never fished with him extensively, but I remember him as being very generous with his knowledge. From my perspective, any controversy  was internet based, and not in the real world.

When folks mention the term "Sharpie", the image of Tom jigging the Cape Henlopen Pier immediately pops into my mind.

Condolences to his friends and family.

1 hour ago, wok167 said:

I had the pleasure of talking with him on several occasions while fishing at the local spots. Never fished with him extensively, but I remember him as being very generous with his knowledge. From my perspective, any controversy  was internet based, and not in the real world.

When folks mention the term "Sharpie", the image of Tom jigging the Cape Henlopen Pier immediately pops into my mind.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Pier.  That's why I know the name.  What was the supposed controversy?  

RIP sir.

Tom was definitely a heck of a fisherman. Been humbled by him mutiple times. Use the same lure cast to the same spot he'd get bit kinda thing. Could put on a clinic anywhere whether it was flounder at the pier, stripers at the inlet or crappie in a pond.

Search hengstthomas and check out some of his reports especially the older ones before he moved to Dover. Very detailed and usually accompanied by pictures.

Pretty sure SOL gave him a prize bundle years ago for being a good contributor etc.

He used to fish Trappe Pond where I fished often as a kid in the 60's when we used to camp there.  His post brought back good memories. 

I fished with Tom maybe a dozen times, but exchanged PMs and other communications with him many times.  It's been years since we spoke regularly.  We crossed paths every now and then, usually at the pier or a local bait shop.  On my best days fishing I could almost equal his fish total, assuming he was having an "off day" :)

I learned a lot while watching him fish, and he would take the time to show or tell folks some pointers on fishing techniques, bait, and other things.  I almost never caught flounder until he game me some tips.  I was sure to pass those tips along to others that looked like they could use them ;)

RIP Tom!

tom.jpg.a8b94838dda3ca3df77da11c1f63daf7.jpg

On 9/17/2022 at 8:44 AM, wok167 said:

. From my perspective, any controversy  was internet based, and not in the real world.

Well I knew him personally and fished with him for many years and I can tell you with 100% certainty you are incorrect.

We will leave it at that, as this isn't the place to run over a man who just passed away.

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

I know things have changed over to the pier.  Sad that Tom is gone, off topic but does anyone know how Dave is doing?  I've been out of town a bit.

Which Dave?  Lol