Richard_the_Aughth

Maine fresh water boat rentals

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Is there anywhere in Maine where I can easily rent a small boat for fishing? I am looking for unpressured water and an willing to drive pretty far, coming from Massachusetts. If no boat rentals, how far north do I have to drive for less pressured water?

On 9/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Is there anywhere in Maine where I can easily rent a small boat for fishing? I am looking for unpressured water and an willing to drive pretty far, coming from Massachusetts. If no boat rentals, how far north do I have to drive for less pressured water?

This time of year you will be able to rent plenty, as all the tourists have gone. 

Sebago Lake and Long Lake would both be good starting points. Several marinas will rent to you.

Are you targeting trout/salmon, or bass?

28 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

This time of year you will be able to rent plenty, as all the tourists have gone. 

Sebago Lake and Long Lake would both be good starting points. Several marinas will rent to you.

Are you targeting trout/salmon, or bass?

Thank you for your response! I would prefer to target trout/salmon, but also open to bass. I took a quick look and found some place that rents on Sebago lake. How would you rate the fishing there? Also, anything I need to know or look out for(other than inclement weather)? I assume we need Maine fishing license for a day?

24 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Thank you for your response! I would prefer to target trout/salmon, but also open to bass. I took a quick look and found some place that rents on Sebago lake. How would you rate the fishing there? Also, anything I need to know or look out for(other than inclement weather)? I assume we need Maine fishing license for a day?

First, Sebago is a big lake. And if the winds kick up you can get into trouble, quite quickly. Be careful. 

Sebago has a gret Lake Trout (togue) population. Downriggers, leadcore, or vertical jigging on the countours. 

Landlocked salmon will be starting their spawn up the songo river into the crooked river towards the end of September early October depending on the rains. 

Also, you can boat all the way into brandy pond, into long lake through the songo locks. Good family trip combined with fishing. 

Plenty of restaurants to pull up to and have lunch or drinks. 

Nice time of year. 

Posted (edited)

59 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

First, Sebago is a big lake. And if the winds kick up you can get into trouble, quite quickly. Be careful. 

Sebago has a gret Lake Trout (togue) population. Downriggers, leadcore, or vertical jigging on the countours. 

Landlocked salmon will be starting their spawn up the songo river into the crooked river towards the end of September early October depending on the rains. 

Also, you can boat all the way into brandy pond, into long lake through the songo locks. Good family trip combined with fishing. 

Plenty of restaurants to pull up to and have lunch or drinks. 

Nice time of year. 

Thanks again for all your help! Im going to try to avoid a day with winds over 10mph, but if it does get windy, would you advise staying closer to the edges rather than our in the middle? I have not piloted a boat much but that seems like the best move?

You are saying i can dock the boat and just grab a seat at a restaurant? That sounds extremely convenient!

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

19 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Thanks again for all your help! Im going to try to avoid a day with winds over 10mph, but if it does get windy, would you advise staying closer to the edges rather than our in the middle? I have not piloted a boat much but that seems like the best move?

You are saying i can dock the boat and just grab a seat at a restaurant? That sounds extremely convenient!

Yes. At the confluence of Long Lake and Brandy Pond (Route 302 in Naples) there are several restaurants on each side of the causeway. 

Captain Jacks, Rick’s Cafe and several others I forget the name of. 

I never fished there but Sebago is quite well known for good fishing and I imagine it would be fairly pressured as a result but have no clue.

If you have the time, they have stuff up in the north woods where you'd be so remote you'll lose cell signal an hour before arriving and won't ever get it back until you're an hour south again

3 hours ago, adam42 said:

I never fished there but Sebago is quite well known for good fishing and I imagine it would be fairly pressured as a result but have no clue.

If you have the time, they have stuff up in the north woods where you'd be so remote you'll lose cell signal an hour before arriving and won't ever get it back until you're an hour south again

Yea I think I need more than a day for that though, but it does sound like a trip I'd like to make at some point. Serious question but is there any issue with bears that far north? Do you need to carry a gun?

Lots of the place on 302 in Naples are closed now, earliest I can recall. IMO fishing on Long lake is not very good and Sebago is so large you would really need some specific intel to be productive. I would try smaller bodies of water with less pressure though finding a boat rental may be tough especially this time of year. 

14 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Serious question but is there any issue with bears that far north? Do you need to carry a gun?

No, don't worry about Smokey et al. Don't know anyone with a camp even in the Allagash who carries bear spray.

Bigger problem will be Lyme Disease so carry a spray gun of insect repellent w/DEET...

10 mins ago, MacCTD said:

Lots of the place on 302 in Naples are closed now, earliest I can recall. IMO fishing on Long lake is not very good and Sebago is so large you would really need some specific intel to be productive. I would try smaller bodies of water with less pressure though finding a boat rental may be tough especially this time of year. 

Maybe look for smaller bodies of water, and check to see if there are still canoe rentals that are open. There are usually a bunch of rental places for canoes in the more remote regions. I would guess once October 1 comes, people in Maine will start thinking more about hunting. But grab a map, check out where you want to head to, and start maybe making some phone calls.

18 hours ago, adam42 said:

Just got back from a trip up north. Nothing funnier or sadder than seeing a 20 something lose cell service for a week. I had service (ATT) he didn't (PCS)

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

Nothing funnier or sadder than seeing a 20 something lose cell service for a week. I had service (ATT) he didn't (PCS)

People don't realize that in Maine, Cell Service is a Privilege, not a Right.  Your service will vary as there isn't a single provider that has good coverage all over.  Most folks, like us, are Multiple Service Provider Households so they do have a chance at some coverage, but once you get way into the boonies, it's a Satellite Phone or nothing...

recently spent a week up on the allagash floating all the way to the border of canada

was on a group, no bear precautions were taken and none were seen - black bears are super timid anyway so if you come across one just make a bunch of noise and it'll scatter

i'd be much more concerned about an angry moose than a hungry bear