Ftyer

Funnyfish

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I figured we could use a thread like the one in the Mass forum. Anyone been chasing them or seeing them? I’ll start chasing them this week now that Labor Day is past. 

Haven't seen any yet, and I'm spending time checking the usual haunts. Inlets, etc. I can only find spanish macks (no complaints). I heard people are catching them off the open beach. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting. Funny Mass' funny fish thread is into 33 pages. Seems they're into them good between RI and the Cape. Hoping for some shots back in here LIS. Usually that's not until October around here. Plenty of bait waiting. Bunker from 1-14", bay anchovies, butterfish, tinker mackerel, spearing all on the buffet table right now. Good luck. 

Edited by brushfly

7 hours ago, JimmyBean said:

I can only find spanish macks (no complaints).

In the Sound?

6 hours ago, brushfly said:

Thanks for posting. Funny Mass' funny fish thread is into 33 pages. Seems they're into them good between RI and the Cape. Hoping for some shots back in here LIS. Usually that's not until October around here. Plenty of bait waiting. Bunker from 1-14", bay anchovies, butterfish, tinker mackerel, spearing all on the buffet table right now. Good luck. 

6 hours ago, brushfly said:

Yup, Mass' funny fish thread is into 33 pages as you and we have noted BUT nothing from the always "dead" Long Island forum which has been SO boring. For so long......Sad, isn't it?

11 hours ago, CWitek said:

Had an Almaco jack 30 miles off Fire Island a few weeks ago

That’s awesome. Was it one of any size??

I spent last weekend chasing them at the cape and they are definitely there as well as a ton of people after them. They also were concentrated in only one area stretching a half mile or so and that’s all we saw of them. 

I’ve never chased Long Island Albies but will likely be focusing my efforts around the Montauk area. I wish everyone luck in searching for these crazy guys. 

3 hours ago, JimmyBean said:

South shore jetties 

LOL

Figures

Places that I don't go.

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

That’s awesome. Was it one of any size??

No.  Maybe 3 pounds.  Hit a weighted Green Machine fished far back of the center river.

16 hours ago, flysully said:

Yup, Mass' funny fish thread is into 33 pages as you and we have noted BUT nothing from the always "dead" Long Island forum which has been SO boring. For so long......Sad, isn't it?

It's been quiet overall. I miss Reel-Time the most though. Good group in its hey day.

by the time i see them coming through an inlet or north shore point and i switch lures they are immediately gone.

the 30lb leaders and tins/epoxies never seem to work for me. so i always try to retie to fluro or 20lb mono w/ jig

Had bonito by me for two days last week, western south shore.

First day couldn’t catch them, wrong gear.

Finally got one with the proper gear.

No albies yet, but they should be here soon.