JakerSurf

Fishing surf off Long Beach

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi -

I am staying with friends in Long Beach next weekend and have an opportunity to fish the surf a few hours in morning and evening. Since my outings will be quick I probably won't throw bait, rather the usual stripper plug assortment with soft baits and AVA's. Any helpful hints or suggestions would be most appreciated on spots that may produce this time of year and rigs. I won't have a car so its purely casting the surf in Long Beach. Thanks for your help! 

JakerSurf

Your choices appear limited, so it's easy for you. Just go out and enjoy. Metals sounds good of various sizes try some small lures too. 

You'll get robbed blind by crabs, etc if you trying dunking bait.  If you have to bring in something, small hook for the other thieves - kingfish.  The cops will toss you off at closing time (11?), and expect some kookery from kids who are defending fish, surfing area, etc.  Consider a teaser if doing metal, slow retrieve.  Needle on the lee side, also painfully slow.  Good luck!

Jake, take a look at the big state park on the other side of the channel.   Diamond/tubes and SPs will produce in that water.

Posted (edited)

Jake,

Not Guaranteed but a rule of thumb,  east sides of Jetty will be shallower, west side should be deeper. Cast straight down each side of Jetties fish can hang close, Also fish parallel down the beach along the lip, yes the Jetty are structure but Long beach is a relatively shallow beach and can hold fish but aren't magnets. Again not a lot of structure in LB so the Jetties, the beach lip or any cut thru that first bar are structure that needs to be worked. You have to move up and down the beach, find a jetty fan cast each side, move. My point is don't pick a  spot and spend 2 hours there expecting the Fish to come to you, you have to find the fish down there, good Luck and catch em up. 

5 inch magdart in bone or Blurple or swim shads if fishing at night, Small poppers and albie snaz if you are gonna try the sunrise thing.

Always have 1/2-1 oz bucktail, I would prefer a curly trailer down here as surf can be tame especially with the Jetties 

Edited by fishinthedark

If the wind is east don’t even bother, surf will be full of weed.

You should be OK this weekend as it will warm up which tells me the wind will be south or west.

20 years ago that place was incredible ....haven't fished it in about as long but as others have said fish the jettys.  With mullet around some of those pockets will be stacked with pinned mullet.  The sand bars between the jettys can hold fish at certain stages of the tide but the outflows that form parallel to the rocks are your best bet. Fish both sides of the rocks.

Follow up...Weeds, weeds and more weeds. If I was fishing for salad I would have killed it. Lots of porpoises and a whale that was having a good meal but nothing but grass and weeds for me. Thanks for all the advise.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, JakerSurf said:

Follow up...Weeds, weeds and more weeds. If I was fishing for salad I would have killed it. Lots of porpoises and a whale that was having a good meal but nothing but grass and weeds for me. Thanks for all the advise.

It is always a

Next time

But at least it was fun

I know it would be more fun with the fish on the other end of the rod.

Better luck next time.

Posted (edited)

On 9/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, JakerSurf said:

Yup.  I love fishing Long Beach, but I find the weeds to be there about half the time.  It’s a pleasure when it’s weed-free.

Edited by gadabout