Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onthefly

Skagit line for smb

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The last two seasons I've been trying out Skagit casting for smallies on big river like Delaware and Susquehanna and small creeks also using a single hand 9 and 10 ft rods in 6 and 8 wt. I can say the experience has been great and would recommend anyone having issues with their shoulder give it a try. In a season you can get pretty good at it and you don't need a switch rod you can use your regular old fly rod  provided you have the right line setup my heads are 14 to 18 ft long with a type 3 and floating tip of 10 ft is what you will need.  There are lots of videos out there on single hand Skagit and scandi casting. Check out opst sight for info. I had a good day this weekend landing about 30 bass and my elbow and shoulder survived the day. 

IMG_20220910_144937.jpg

Edited by onthefly

It can be a bit limiting but definitely a lot of fun. Useful if you're walking/wading in bigger water like you mentioned

With T3 tips and bigger flies water borne casts are a good way to go. These casts do without false casts so could help with shoulder issues.

Contary to some beliefs out there if we are steady on the sweep to D loop they are not that noisy. For night time brilliant.

mikey

I've be watching ed ward videos it seems with opst heads being short his style is almost a hybrid of scandi and Skagit his anchor is dynamic and there is little pause in any part of his cast small part of tip is in water and goes right from sweep into forward cast he never looses the load or tension.