dennisl

What to do with E-Z Body

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Do a search for Jack Gartside corsair sand eel. It might give you some ideas.

The mini size is probably sand eel or very small white bait.

Look up the E-Z Sand Eel pattern by Capt. Bill Murphy. It calls for small E-Z Body but maybe the mini could be used for small (2,5"-3") sand eel flies.

Dennisl,

This is an option that you might like.

Look for Google's URL for:      E-Z Sand Eel – step by step

HT

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are a few I tied up last night.

Might try to build up the underbody more, these look a little thin. And the short-shanked version looks ridiculous.

IMG_8487.jpg

13 mins ago, dennisl said:

Might try to build up the underbody more, these look a little thin. And the short-shanked version looks ridiculous.

IMG_8487.jpg

I f you do, I suggest you don't do it with more bucktail and flash as I think there is enough. Instead, as the first tying step, just build up the shank by tying strips of something (I use wool) on top and bottom or just wrapping it around the shank.

1 hour ago, Suave said:

I f you do, I suggest you don't do it with more bucktail and flash as I think there is enough. Instead, as the first tying step, just build up the shank by tying strips of something (I use wool) on top and bottom or just wrapping it around the shank.

Agreed! Maybe just thread? Or even wire to make it a little heavier

1 hour ago, dennisl said:

Agreed! Maybe just thread? Or even wire to make it a little heavier

Thread is a lot thinner than wool so you'll need a lot more wraps to achieve what you want. Wire? Maybe but I never use wire on my saltwater flies unless I want to "keel" a big, heavily-dressed fly like a Sedotti Slammer.  

8 hours ago, dennisl said:

IMG_8487.jpg

I think the top 2 look great and I agree that the bottom one is not the correct hook for that fly even though I an sure it will catch. 

I don't think building up the body will make a difference and I totally agree with Suave that you do not want to do it with increasing the tail section. I would go with a wrap of some sort. Body braid or something like that could work but you need to keep the transition from the back of the ez body to the bucktail as neat as you have now. 

Chenille is another good filler to use under E-Body material.

Comes in all different sizes and colors to match all different of tubing.   

I haven't tied with it in a while.  I still have a bunch of it sitting in one of my material drawers.   A couple of minnows I did with it

63248aeeaade8_SiliSkinMinnow.jpg.a37a89186175791e36839ec582fa6b26.jpg

63248b14b7b03_SiliSkinSilverside.jpg.3b67b030ce2fc532878c67a48133d379.jpg

The tubing is covered with clear thin sili-skin, something else I haven't used in a long time.  Not sure whether I used Corsair or E-Z body.  The material had a thread "lateral line" on each side.  If you removed it the material became more flexible and easier to shape.

A couple more made with larger tubing and using thin clear sili-skin to cover the tubing.

63248cca7192f_SiliSkinBunker.jpg.afe42f1dd1880202a1f539e2598c3018.jpg

very informative video, recently acquired a bunch of that ezbody stuff and wasn't sure how to use it

thanks