albacized

To change backing or not???

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So yesterday, I took a trip to chase some false albacore - towards the end of my outing, fish show up in front of me and I hook up. This kid off to my right throws over my line and hooks up as well. In short order, I'm into my backing and this kid's braided line (not sure of the pound test) was crossed with my backing. I'm pretty sure my line was over his but he kept insisting otherwise and kept jerking up on his rod while trying to pump his fish in (he was doing that despite the fish still running out). Luckily it was his line that broke and I eventually landed the fish without further incident. 

I was running 20lb dacron on that reel - the question is there a chance this kid's line caused some level of damage to my backing that could cost me next time? What's at stake is not just losing a fish the next time, but a $100 dollar fly line as well. I can just imagine that two lines rubbing against each other in such a manner with fish running out in quick order could affect the integrity of the backing....but then again, I have a wild imagination and could be described as paranoid...lol

Edited by albacized

Replace it, I’d bet there’s a weak spot/issue. 

Regarding the asshatery that you experienced, that sucks. I haven’t been able to get out and stuff like that makes it a little easier. Too many asshats in todays fishing world. 

I'd change it.  In fact, I'd upgrade it to something better than dacron.  I use JB Line One 65lb sprectra, but as I recall, Cary Greene recommended a different product.  I think it was Suffix 131 Braid, but I couldn't find that post.  

1 hour ago, albacized said:

So yesterday, I took a trip to chase some false albacore - towards the end of my outing, fish show up in front of me and I hook up. This kid off to my right throws over my line and hooks up as well. In short order, I'm into my backing and this kid's braided line (not sure of the pound test) was crossed with my backing. I'm pretty sure my line was over his but he kept insisting otherwise and kept jerking up on his rod while trying to pump his fish in (he was doing that despite the fish still running out). Luckily it was his line that broke and I eventually landed the fish without further incident. 

I was running 20lb dacron on that reel - the question is there a chance this kid's line caused some level of damage to my backing that could cost me next time? What's at stake is not just losing a fish the next time, but a $100 dollar fly line as well. I can just imagine that two lines rubbing against each other in such a manner with fish running out in quick order could affect the integrity of the backing....but then again, I have a wild imagination and could be described as paranoid...lol

Who knows .. but I wouldn’t change it. There isn’t very much tension on a fly line in the water connected to a fish.  Much less than it feels to the fisherman holding the rod.  

Pull out 120 ft of line .. connect to a spring scale and bend the rod in half pulling as hard as you can on some 25 lb test.  You will not break the leader and there will be like 6lbs on the scale.  Add in the lubrication from the water and the fact that the fish were not pulling in exact opposite directions … there was probably a very light amount of friction between the two lines 

….but then again …. I really have no idea.  

How much backing was outside the rod tip? Check that 1st.How much backing is on the reel? Replacing 200yds[?] of backing for 100' possibly damaged seems not to practical.

Posted (edited)

I always use nothing but 30 lbs. test dacron backing. It still gives you plenty of line on the reel, more than you ever need.

Handles better too with your fingers when level winding and will not cut you.

I also use only white color. Any other color I've used somehow bleeds onto the fly line over time.  

Using 20 lbs. test backing, you have a great chance to lose the entire fly line since it stronger in pound test than the  backing.

I just lost half a sink fly line this week on an albie run. It seems he must have wrapped the fly line around some ghost trap or rock, could not get it free.

You can also reverse the backing you now have on and be safer with the  newer end tied to the fly line. If you don't have anything to spool it on, just take it outside on the lawn.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

The other option is remove some of the dacron and go with braid top shot of some sort. Lately I’m liking power pro slick in 40 or 50. Realistically any good braid type product would work. 

Whatever you do, don’t change to braid.  Totally unnecessary from a fishing standpoint and a great way to slice your fingers on an albie run. 

I would just reverse it. 

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Whatever you do, don’t change to braid.  Totally unnecessary from a fishing standpoint and a great way to slice your fingers on an albie run

I would just reverse it. 

I have heard this a ton of times but it has never been an issue with me or the people I fish with. Even offshore fishing I have never cut my fingers with braid as backing.

I wouldn't switch to braid for backing because after years of using it I have never found it to be beneficial. It stays on my reels now because it's there and I never change my backing.

As to the initial question, pretty much any line can burn through another. I have seen it happen with mono, braid, fly lines, and dacron. You can usually find any damage if it is there. I would strip off a hundred yards and wind it back through my fingers and see if I felt an obvious defect. If I did feel a defect, changing the backing would depend on where i felt the defect. 

Edited by DAQ

1 min ago, DAQ said:

I have heard this a ton of times but it has never been an issue with me or the people I fish with. Even offshore fishing I have never cut my fingers with braid as backing.

I wouldn't switch to braid for backing because after years of using it I have never found it to be beneficial. It stays on my reels now because it's there and I never change my backing.

Plenty of old fly guys in the old fly homes with no fingers!!!!

Just in case, it’s perfectly fine to use, it won’t cut you and it lasts longer than micron. 

it’s just another option, another tool in the belt. I have some reels with dacron, some with only braid, and some with a braid top shot. It’s all good and it all works. 

Until you cut you fingers to the bone when an albie makes a 200 yard run!

14 hours ago, albacized said:

...but then again, I have a wild imagination and could be described as paranoid...lol

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. :rav:

Put aside the cutting issue with braid for a moment and talk about performance.

This is why I like Dacron....

Braid can sometimes under wind on a spool, get caught between layers, twists, knots, can overwind very easily.

(I use nothing but mono on all my spinning reels. Have had too many issues using gel spun with different clients skill. Mono is much more forgiving for me.)

I like the little stretch in Dacron, acts as a shock absorber for quick runs with funny fish. 

Dacron is much more durable, last longer, over time, easier to level wind.

Dacron is much more visible when playing a fish noting directions of the fight.

It's much more visible to the boats and people around you too. 

The chance of your backing and his braid making contact and rubbing in a fixed location long enough to do damage is highly unlikely. Your line was moving as was his and it all happened under water where there is less chance of friction burn. As mentioned above do an inspection by running it through your fingers to find any damage to justify a change.