Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 12 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Most dead fish eventually float along the surface or wash up on the shore.

Can't say as I've seen many albies in either case.

Edited by cow tamer

11 mins ago, cow tamer said:

Most dead fish eventually float along the surface or wash up on the shore.

Can't say as I've seen any albies in either case.

Tuna species have no swim bladder and their meat and muscle tissue seem denser than other fish.

So I serious doubt that any gases could develop and float them.

6 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Tuna species have no swim bladder and their meat and muscle tissue seem denser than other fish.

So I serious doubt that any gases could develop and float them.

I have seen a number of floating albies over the years. I think I even shared a pic once when this subject came up before. 

Albies sink when they first die but will fill with gases and float after they start to decompose....and to that point, I've never seen a fresh dead albie floating, but have seen plenty of fairly decomposed floating albies

Lights-out hardtail fishing this week. Landed 6 chunky albies Tuesday afternoon and at least 16 on Wednesday (all from shore). Had bones both days and spanish macks as well. But considering the lack of bass fishing in these reports, can anyone report significant bass activity aside from the typical outflow action? (a simple yes or no will suffice)

I am led to believe I experienced the onset of fall run back at the end of July and haven't seen NEAR the action since. Put in a lot of hours this week, especially, but have yet to see a single school of bass which is just odd for this time in the season.

***meant to post up in the more recent thread. I've clearly been on vacation, losing track of my days LOL

Edited by sikcrodbends

15 mins ago, sikcrodbends said:

Lights-out hardtail fishing this week. Landed 6 chunky albies Tuesday afternoon and at least 16 on Wednesday (all from shore). Had bones both days and spanish macks as well. But considering the lack of bass fishing in these reports, can anyone report significant bass activity aside from the typical outflow action? (a simple yes or no will suffice)

I am led to believe I experienced the onset of fall run back at the end of July and haven't seen NEAR the action since. Put in a lot of hours this week, especially, but have yet to see a single school of bass which is just odd for this time in the season.

***meant to post up in the more recent thread. I've clearly been on vacation, losing track of my days LOL

Its been spotty, have been getting an uptick of reports recently of schoolies on the move and have seen it myself but its still not the all out fall feeds we would expect. The bay is really quiet also in comparison to what last year at this time looked like.  Have not seen the blue fish blitzes we would expect either.

1 min ago, Kooky said:

Its been spotty, have been getting an uptick of reports recently of schoolies on the move and have seen it myself but its still not the all out fall feeds we would expect. The bay is really quiet also in comparison to what last year at this time looked like.  Have not seen the blue fish blitzes we would expect either.

The last consistent surface action I’ve seen (of bass) was in early-mid August. It’s been unusually quiet and it’s been quite discouraging to keep motivated to pursue these fish. Seems like they moved out early but I’ve been wrong before :D 

1 hour ago, sikcrodbends said:

The last consistent surface action I’ve seen (of bass) was in early-mid August. It’s been unusually quiet and it’s been quite discouraging to keep motivated to pursue these fish. Seems like they moved out early but I’ve been wrong before :D 

I haven’t seen much besides last weekend and week bass/shad/blues were slumping small bait. 

IMG_0329.MOV

On 9/22/2022 at 7:29 AM, trwhite said:

They burn a lot of energy with their fast sprints and I wouldn’t be surprised if the C+R mortality was very high. I’ve seen inexperienced fly guys with average sized albies on the line for what seems like 10 minutes. Pretty much no one has an intention of keeping them, and that’s wanton waste if you are catching them purposefully undergunned, *in my opinion*. I did once see a guy catching them with a what looked like a 6 foot trout rod from bennie’s; but he was getting them in faster than anyone somehow… experience plays a big role.

No one is going to leave a good albie bite, and I don’t think they are regulated by the DEM unless something changed. Tough ethical issue. But I think all catch and release fisherman should uphold the highest standards of safe fish handling at all times. Even then fish still catch a barbless hook to the gills from time to time.

I think I know who that individual is that was using the trout rod and had 2 hook-ups with 2 landed before the entirety of the rockface got any action. If you were along a SE facing popular spot during hardtail season.  And I only use single in-lines on my resins/epoxies with crushed barb. :rav::wave:

8 hours ago, sikcrodbends said:

Sounds like I may be getting lucky. Past couple of weeks I have gotten out around a half dozen times and haven't been skunked once. Including last night, got 8, mostly around 24", one slot. Have had to move around quite a bit to find them though.  Funny how even a few feet can make a difference. 

Ran mid bay in west passage to monahans and back this pm.  The lack of boats and yakers off gansett kinda confirmed there were no falsies to be found there.....did locate some gator blues and schoolies on the way down....birds were spread out and fish were super spotty, did not see any real concentrations of bait on top or on the finder.