Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 12 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Agreed. At least in my experience, albies take off like a shot when released quickly. As with any fish, the googan factor, poor landing techniques, and the desire to put every fish on social media, likely increase the mortality significantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When catching them from the beach, i had to work them in the water before they would "take off" tried the dart through to deeper water but they didnt "go".  When working them in the water they sat there for minute and then exploded out of my hand when ready.  But with most people fishing from a jetty that is pretty difficult to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished a backwater spot last evening, was crowded as i would have expected. Tons and tons of 2-3" peanuts and mullet, super picky bass. Tricked a few including one low slot.  Typical shenanigans with these spots, left after getting irritated with guys poaching schoolies and pretending 24" fish were keepers (if true keepers why are you running them to your car).. These were not white bucket crew either, so the poachers come in all shapes and forms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Fished a backwater spot last evening, was crowded as i would have expected. Tons and tons of 2-3" peanuts and mullet, super picky bass. Tricked a few including one low slot.  Typical shenanigans with these spots, left after getting irritated with guys poaching schoolies and pretending 24" fish were keepers (if true keepers why are you running them to your car).. These were not white bucket crew either, so the poachers come in all shapes and forms.  

 

Lets make it a game fish.

*

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thank you :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, striper pat said:

Don't know what to say about that, sad.

I saw quite a few caught from a jetty, a tough fish to handle from the rocks, need to have a plan to land it.

Are they just to far gone from the fight?

Is it time to rethink the traditional albie release and treat them like a striper?

 

 

I saw too much poor handling the two days I fished. Nets, fish on the rocks for 3+ minutes for pics, guys getting a fish and taking their sweet time for a pic, taking for ever to get a hook out, etc. 
 

It’s not hard, pic your landing spot before hand, fight the fish hard, if you want a pic have the camera ready and try your best to keep the release under 20 seconds. If it takes longer then that skip the pic and get the fish back in. I think any albie out for the water for a minute or more is always crab food. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I saw too much poor handling the two days I fished. Nets, fish on the rocks for 3+ minutes for pics, guys getting a fish and taking their sweet time for a pic, taking for ever to get a hook out, etc. 
 

It’s not hard, pic your landing spot before hand, fight the fish hard, if you want a pic have the camera ready and try your best to keep the release under 20 seconds. If it takes longer then that skip the pic and get the fish back in. I think any albie out for the water for a minute or more is always crab food. 

I'm guilty of wanting pics. We try our best to make it quick but certain fish of significance get enough shots to be sure of good ones.

We have a collection of photos from our recent trip that will be trophies on the walls for years. I hope no fish died for that, but if a couple did, I feel they're no more dead than if I hung them on the wall. Or ate them.

 

The fact that I don't normally catch too many, especially if you averaged by years, makes me feel slightly less bad about it. 

 

The other thing is, they mostly all look alike. There are only so many poses. After you get a couple, there's no need to take a pic of every one.

 

The biggest thing that sucks on certain jetties, especially in surf, it's hard to safely get a good spike release. If they land wrong, shoot off into the rocks, there's not much you can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a pic now and again too. But like you said, they’re all pretty much alike. Take one or two and that’s it. 
 

Just plan ahead - having a landing spot, have the camera easily accessible, try to minimize handling, keep it on a wet/weedy rock if needed.


Climbing up the rocks with the fish, putting it on a dry rock, taking one’s sweet-assed time getting the camera out, hook out - not ideal to put it mildly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehh, not like the Albie fishery is at risk for overfishing.  We're natures correction for the annual albie cull.

 

Maybe we'll have a newfound respect for people harvesting them for food, instead of frowning upon them lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corpslave said:

I thought there was a chat years ago about albies died on the ocean floor off a breakwall that everyone was catching them on. A diver said the botton was paved with them. The chance of them living after being caught was slim to none? Very low survival rate.

I've always questioned anecdotal information, especially on this topic.

When was the last time you seen a diver fishing near an albie crowd on a jetty?

Why are there never no photos to substantiate this evidence?

Yes! a jetty jockey might have more higher mortality rate than boaters.

It takes more time climbing down and up the rocks for a hero shot, get the camera ready and of course not the best release from that high.

To bad someone else doesn't take a photo shot while they are down at ocean level.

That would be a great perspective and nice back drop too with the rocks and waves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2022 at 0:13 PM, mikez2 said:

Where are the bluefish? We ran into a few scattered schools but numbers seemed low. My son and I each managed slams, he on Thursday, me Sunday (no pics to confirm mine grr), but we both would have had more slams if the normal number of blues were around. 

They are at The Cape according to my sources ...

 

Nice write-up Mike ... we need to get out October ... maybe a Snake/Fish Fest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

They are at The Cape according to my sources ...

 

Nice write-up Mike ... we need to get out October ... maybe a Snake/Fish Fest

 

You wouldnt have known it from the night I had on Wednesday. Lost two rubber baits in my first two casts. and landed one of the biggest blues I have ever caught on an eel and got a few cigar butts to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I've always questioned anecdotal information, especially on this topic.

When was the last time you seen a diver fishing near an albie crowd on a jetty?

Why are there never no photos to substantiate this evidence?

Yes! a jetty jockey might have more higher mortality rate than boaters.

It takes more time climbing down and up the rocks for a hero shot, get the camera ready and of course not the best release from that high.

To bad someone else doesn't take a photo shot while they are down at ocean level.

That would be a great perspective and nice back drop too with the rocks and waves.  

I dont get any pictures mostly because I fish primarily by myself. Maybe the next time I run into Kooky when we are waist to chest deep in the water I can convince him to take a nice photo shoot of me getting skunked ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished far western RI waters the afternoon of the 15th, the 16th, and the 17th.  Found albies quickly on the afternoon of the 15th and the blitzes were great.  The next morning, slightly less so, and the afternoon of the 16th, even less.  On the 16th I ran east to Weekapaug area and it was dead.  On the way back to home port, I looked around other spots around fishers, with success.  On the 17th I found next to none in the same spots, had to run west across the CT Border where I did find pods on the coastline with other boats working them.  Crowds got worse as time wore on, and I took off.  I did some bassing in my usual spots and it was pretty weak compared to LDW.  It seems I do better in these waters when there's more wind.  More blues this past weekend than bass.  4 short trips of a few hours each, 6 alberts and dropped probably another 4.  It seems there's a bunch of fish on the well known breakwalls and a void between there and CT border.

 

Back again next weekend.  I hope you don't mind my reports on state border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I've always questioned anecdotal information, especially on this topic.

When was the last time you seen a diver fishing near an albie crowd on a jetty?

Why are there never no photos to substantiate this evidence?

Yes! a jetty jockey might have more higher mortality rate than boaters.

It takes more time climbing down and up the rocks for a hero shot, get the camera ready and of course not the best release from that high.

To bad someone else doesn't take a photo shot while they are down at ocean level.

That would be a great perspective and nice back drop too with the rocks and waves.  

Like i said its second hand info. Id love to see pictures from underwater backing up these claims. Again there was a write up years back of this same type of situation with a diver off a breakwall claiming all these dead albies. I can guarantee boat albies have a much better survival rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stroipaHuntah said:

I fished far western RI waters the afternoon of the 15th, the 16th, and the 17th.  Found albies quickly on the afternoon of the 15th and the blitzes were great.  The next morning, slightly less so, and the afternoon of the 16th, even less.  On the 16th I ran east to Weekapaug area and it was dead.  On the way back to home port, I looked around other spots around fishers, with success.  On the 17th I found next to none in the same spots, had to run west across the CT Border where I did find pods on the coastline with other boats working them.  Crowds got worse as time wore on, and I took off.  I did some bassing in my usual spots and it was pretty weak compared to LDW.  It seems I do better in these waters when there's more wind.  More blues this past weekend than bass.  4 short trips of a few hours each, 6 alberts and dropped probably another 4.  It seems there's a bunch of fish on the well known breakwalls and a void between there and CT border.

 

Back again next weekend.  I hope you don't mind my reports on state border.

Nice report! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.