Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 12 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mikez2 said:

My son and I had an epic 4 day weekend in SoCo. We fished hard pre-dawn Thursday until late Sunday afternoon. 

To cover the trip properly would need a blog. I'll do random thoughts and some pics.

We camped at Burlingame keeping with the 50 year, four generation tradition. The place was summer crowded. I prefer the later fall when it's quiet. 

We had friggin perfect weather. I mean the wind was stiff for fly casting but otherwise, if you could bottle that weather, you could sell it as "perfect camping weather".

No bugs!!!!! I have never in my life camped in New England in warm weather and not had at least some mosquitos. I guess the drought was good for something. 

Preliminary striper report for fall looks encouraging. We found them in numbers in a few places. They were very difficult, feeding on tiny peanuts. We still managed a few every time we tried. Slots too. My biggest regret was we just got too tired to fish all day and at night. We chose to get sleep.

Albies! Well, everyone knows by now. It's been a good year. Who knows how long it will last. We saw a couple young guys who had lifetime best days. They probably got spoiled. It may be awhile before it happens again.

Where are the bluefish? We ran into a few scattered schools but numbers seemed low. My son and I each managed slams, he on Thursday, me Sunday (no pics to confirm mine grr), but we both would have had more slams if the normal number of blues were around. 

The albie crowd is getting huge. I love the old regulars and the up and coming young guys that get it. Unfortunately now everybody is an albie fishermen. The ethics and etiquette long established on the jetties are out the window when the scup fishermen all carry albie gear.

Since when has eating albies been a thing? Our first day, we saw more albies kept than I had seen in 30 years combined. Each day after was the same. And not just the usual suspects (they kept buckets of them), it was all kinds of people. 

My son got his first albie on his fly rod, a goal he'd had for a long time. He worked his ass off and earned his fish. That was also the day he got his slam. Keeper bass, blue and fly caught albie at 16.

20220916_063539.jpg

20220915_060309.jpg

20220915_062527.jpg

20220915_144024.jpg

20220916_063349.jpg

20220915_192027.jpg

20220918_070840.jpg

20220915_140246.jpg

20220918_090703.jpg

20220916_185248.jpg

I wonder if the people are actually eating them or if they taste them and throw them in the trash? I caught one a couple weeks back and spectators were asking me why I wasn’t keeping the small tuna. Assuming it must taste good. 

29 mins ago, charliestriper said:

Sadder still, I fear they are being cut up for bait.

A couple guys i asked were definitely taking them for bait. 

16 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Time for a Clave. Remember those events?

Never will forget.

One of my older sons joined us on the jetty Saturday. He was remembering being along on those trips. 

Good times.

I took one last week, gave it the treatment I've done with WC albacore and yellowfin.....bled and headed/gutted and packed it in ice immediately, froze it, then slow ice water bath defrost, quartered, skinned and removed red meat, coated loins with sesame seeds, quick sear and chilled. Served sliced into rounds with soy and wasabe.....consensus was BLAH......there was quite a bit of leftovers.  I'll let em swim from now on.  

Limited out on togs today before the wind picked up around 10am. Saw the funnies splashing around but not getting hits. 

Fished a spot this afternoon 2day & got 1 Albie on the 1st cast. Halfbeaks were swimming around. Diver came through & said there were a bunch of dead Albies on the bottom.

3 hours ago, chipwood said:

Fished a spot this afternoon 2day & got 1 Albie on the 1st cast. Halfbeaks were swimming around. Diver came through & said there were a bunch of dead Albies on the bottom.

I thought there was a chat years ago about albies died on the ocean floor off a breakwall that everyone was catching them on. A diver said the botton was paved with them. The chance of them living after being caught was slim to none? Very low survival rate.

Don't know what to say about that, sad.

I saw quite a few caught from a jetty, a tough fish to handle from the rocks, need to have a plan to land it.

Are they just to far gone from the fight?

Is it time to rethink the traditional albie release and treat them like a striper?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Corpslave said:

I thought there was a chat years ago about albies died on the ocean floor off a breakwall that everyone was catching them on. A diver said the botton was paved with them. The chance of them living after being caught was slim to none? Very low survival rate.

They burn a lot of energy with their fast sprints and I wouldn’t be surprised if the C+R mortality was very high. I’ve seen inexperienced fly guys with average sized albies on the line for what seems like 10 minutes. Pretty much no one has an intention of keeping them, and that’s wanton waste if you are catching them purposefully undergunned, *in my opinion*. I did once see a guy catching them with a what looked like a 6 foot trout rod from bennie’s; but he was getting them in faster than anyone somehow… experience plays a big role.

No one is going to leave a good albie bite, and I don’t think they are regulated by the DEM unless something changed. Tough ethical issue. But I think all catch and release fisherman should uphold the highest standards of safe fish handling at all times. Even then fish still catch a barbless hook to the gills from time to time.

Edited by trwhite

21 mins ago, Billybob said:

It's surprising because they normally take off like a shot when you release them.

Last weekend was a killfest.

It's not always like that.

Nevertheless, there's something apocryphal about stories of this diver who's seeing all these dead albies.

Considering the crabs and lobsters and the big seal hanging around, I can't picture much for remains left over from the weekend. Even the racks would be broke up and spread around by the tides and big surf.

Having said all that, this was a tough weekend. Numbers caught were high, googan factor off the charts, and on Sunday, surf that made landing and releasing dangerous.