Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 12 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Went out to a little back water spot last night. The fish were busting all over the surface. They were on very small peanuts and other small bait. Slightly picky but I was getting hits and hooking up consistent enough. One nice fish over 30". 

The action died after about an hour. Still some fish breaking hear and there and managed a couple more but had to work much harder at it. 

6 hours ago, GoldenAnchor said:

I was fishing the same day/time/area from shore and trust me the spin fisherman were hooking up plenty. I caught 5. There were about 8 guys in the area around me (including me) and collectively we probably caught ~40. There were so many more people fishing along the shore and I am sure they caught too but I was only paying attention to the guys closest to me. I was really impressed by how well we all worked together to avoid tangles while these fish were buzzing from side to side.

I caught all of mine right at the surface, blind casting but knowing they were there. Others were letting their lure sink and it’s true they were catching more. I tried the sink approach but the usual burn across the surface seemed to work best for me. Plus you get the bonus of seeing the fish explode on your lure at the surface. Adrenaline!

Last thing I’ll say is that the whole process was EXHAUSTING. Amazing, but damn if they don’t wipe you out with all that casting, fast reeling, and of course the fight. One of my best fishing experiences to date.

883958A8-FDA0-4437-9D4D-3CC1A66B3EE4.jpeg

Is that are really big epoxy jig or a smaller albie?

17 mins ago, z-man said:

Is that are really big epoxy jig or a smaller albie?

Lol! I noticed that too. It’s a 1.5 ounce jig. Probably the smallest albie I caught yesterday. Not the smallest I saw though; at least one was tiny. I saw a few huge ones pulled out. Here is a bigger one that I caught…

C785A8B0-68B0-48F2-B672-C3104A23A2FE.jpeg

20_MPH_Al.jpg.c656fd629ef3253bb0f336b4e91037a9.jpg

Ahh...20 knots...nothing!!  It was brutal to get a 25' cast, luckily that's all that was needed.  I use a 7' sink tip and do let it sink some before moving.

Just saw a grey seal take an albie from a shore guy.

First time I've ever seen that in 30+ years doing this.

I fished a couple of times  but didnt report   because of the albie  chase   an if its not that . then its  new TUNA    fleet  which is ok with me , 

yesterday was a killer with that F$%^&*()_ wind    

especially when there was  NO lee .      we just got back in the cove  when I get a call from a friend   that was coming  in from digging ,,,     ..The channel blew up with fish on small bait      lhe  caught  4 blues an a slot   of a popper  .

the last 3 days the cove is loaded with  6" pogies  ..   great for live lining   those will catch anything  

finally there is a nice kid that works at the marina an then works on his boat afterwork .he finally got it  running  an in about ten days ago  .  this afternoon  I,m getting in my truck an hes going  out   / ask me if I knew he caught a albie     I told him EVERYBODY  knew ... pulled out this camera    smiling big as can be .with a good size albie he caught last Sunday at W /L     .   they have been up in the bAY   about a week   /

But no clue where  or how long these bite size pogies  came from .  but there are going to be sunset  blitzes  all around here ><><>

Had a seal eat my fly rod albie yesterday.  Had it broadside in his mouth and somehow got my line wrapped up too. Line broke at the juntion with running line. Fishing over!!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, flyphoto said:

Had a seal eat my fly rod albie yesterday.  Had it broadside in his mouth and somehow got my line wrapped up too. Line broke at the juntion with running line. Fishing over!!

Yeah, that was epic, bummer for you.

That was me and my son fishing near you guys.

30 years on that jetty, never seen anything even close to that.

Edit: it just occurred to me; I don't think the guy I saw was using a fly rod. Did two albies get seal eaten yesterday?

Edited by mikez2

Went out this AM for a few hours.    Ramp packed.   Only few spots left when I got there at first light.    I’m talking to guy in line behind me as we wait for ramp to clear about who should take which open spot (he had bigger boat so was letting him choose) and guy pulls into lot with his boat and parks in open spot.    Basically to hold it.   Cuz he didn’t want one of the other open spots (they are smaller and a bit awkward).  He said first come first serve.  Needless to say we had a few words.   Poor guy behind me, who got there before the other guy got screwed.   

Oh and fishing sucked.  Almost no surface activity in my area.  

3 hours ago, flyphoto said:

I believe so. I was near the fish trap and it happened around 5pm.

Oh yeah that was us.

Tons of small seabass, 1 short flounder, bunch of small togs. Couldn't buy a abicore bite but shore fisherman seems to have the luck today on the jetty when we came back. We were out there looking for them but couldn't find them. Only find balls of bait coming around every so often. 

Later in the day found a tog hole, pulled up 4 keepers to save the day.

Mid-morning assist a double kayaker that flipped. Gather all their stuff that floated but I think they lost a few other thing include a cooler. They were using electric assist motor so that wasn't working after the flip. Dude were cold as they were able to paddle back to shore. 

Got out in the sound chasing albies Saturday. A lot of searching in the morning led to finding a few small schools but hard to track down. Brother in law hooked into two. I got skunked.

Saturday afternoon drove a beach looking for anything. Once the tide switched there was a blitz of schoolie to 30 inch fish that lasted from about 530 until I got tired of poking smaller fish. They were on tiny silversides and tough to fool with the sun up but dusk made them more open to hitting smaller topwater bait. Lots of massive shad about as well. 

Sunday took another ride in the afternoon. Albies cruised through the channel I was fishing once but didnt show a great opportunity to catch. Hooked into a bunch of massive shad which was kinda fun on the lighter tackle. On the drive out the wind had pushed bait in tight and a school of albies was feeding for about 2 minutes. Wind kinda messed up my cast and blew my opportunity. I would love to finally catch my first Albie, if anyone prays to the fish gods or otherwise I would appreciate a good word being put in.

1 hour ago, AClarke said:

Got out in the sound chasing albies Saturday. A lot of searching in the morning led to finding a few small schools but hard to track down. Brother in law hooked into two. I got skunked.

Saturday afternoon drove a beach looking for anything. Once the tide switched there was a blitz of schoolie to 30 inch fish that lasted from about 530 until I got tired of poking smaller fish. They were on tiny silversides and tough to fool with the sun up but dusk made them more open to hitting smaller topwater bait. Lots of massive shad about as well. 

Sunday took another ride in the afternoon. Albies cruised through the channel I was fishing once but didnt show a great opportunity to catch. Hooked into a bunch of massive shad which was kinda fun on the lighter tackle. On the drive out the wind had pushed bait in tight and a school of albies was feeding for about 2 minutes. Wind kinda messed up my cast and blew my opportunity. I would love to finally catch my first Albie, if anyone prays to the fish gods or otherwise I would appreciate a good word being put in.

It will come with time my man, I have gone 1 for 3 in four trips this year. If they are suicidal that day it is great, most days it is tough. You will get it!

1 hour ago, Joser said:

It will come with time my man, I have gone 1 for 3 in four trips this year. If they are suicidal that day it is great, most days it is tough. You will get it!

Honestly I am just excited to get casting. The excitement and fishing style is such a different breed than what I have been accustomed to with trying to hunt big stripers.