Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 12 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Scrubbed the mission this morning at 05:30.

Looked at the radar, hour by hour, just to much rain during peak fishing times for my older clients.

Don't you hate it when the bass are there annihilating peanut bunker and you're only able to fool one fish (albeit a nice slot)? Yeah, me too. 

11 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Scrubbed the mission this morning at 05:30.

Looked at the radar, hour by hour, just to much rain during peak fishing times for my older clients.

Tell me about it.

Drizzle soaker.

Didn't show up on the weatherman's radar. Claimed the clouds were too low to pick it up.

Fish didn't seem to mind, as they were already wet.

Fish didn't mind.  Caught first albies of the year,  5.

Soaked to the bone.  Thought the rain was going to stop early.

I was in kayak. Guys st the end of the jetty killed them.  Nice rip setup right in front of them. That water was to sporty for me.

Albies moved up into the bay yesterday. Found them way inside today before the rain chased me off.  On peanuts and very picky.......

22 hours ago, striper pat said:

Fish didn't mind.  Caught first albies of the year,  5.

Soaked to the bone.  Thought the rain was going to stop early.

I was in kayak. Guys st the end of the jetty killed them.  Nice rip setup right in front of them. That water was to sporty for me.

Worth getting wet for 5 albies.  Nice job.  How is the size?

Excellent day today for false albacore. We released 8, broke off one around a boulder.

Water temperature were 70 degrees with a west wind at 20 kts. made it difficult to fly fish along the south shore walls.

Conditions were ideal once you rounded Pt. Jude Light and fished north along the Narragansett Shoreline.

Not much small anchovies around this morning, so sighting were quickly up and down.

The trick was to stay silent and blind cast and randomly we would hook-up at a depth of ten feet.

I did not see not one spin fisherman hook up. Flies were dialed in.

All our hookups were spaced out nicely. Had one double, all on two inch flies. What great runs today.

Eric caught his first albie ever, had four for the day. Other totals, 4 seabass, one chub.

20220914_110855.jpg

20220914_082018 (1).jpg

12 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

... we would hook-up at a depth of ten feet.

I did not see not one spin fisherman hook up.

I wonder if that's because so many spin fishermen burn their lures in top speed on top.

I've hooked up quite a few times letting my jigs sink. To the point where I often get sea robins and fluke.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Excellent day today for false albacore. We released 8, broke off one around a boulder.

Water temperature were 70 degrees with a west wind at 20 kts. made it difficult to fly fish along the south shore walls.

Conditions were ideal once you rounded Pt. Jude Light and fished north along the Narragansett Shoreline.

Not much small anchovies around this morning, so sighting were quickly up and down.

The trick was to stay silent and blind cast and randomly we would hook-up at a depth of ten feet.

I did not see not one spin fisherman hook up. Flies were dialed in.

All our hookups were spaced out nicely. Had one double, all on two inch flies. What great runs today.

Eric caught his first albie ever, had four for the day. Other totals, 4 seabass, one chub.

20220914_110855.jpg

20220914_082018 (1).jpg

I was fishing the same day/time/area from shore and trust me the spin fisherman were hooking up plenty. I caught 5. There were about 8 guys in the area around me (including me) and collectively we probably caught ~40. There were so many more people fishing along the shore and I am sure they caught too but I was only paying attention to the guys closest to me. I was really impressed by how well we all worked together to avoid tangles while these fish were buzzing from side to side.

I caught all of mine right at the surface, blind casting but knowing they were there. Others were letting their lure sink and it’s true they were catching more. I tried the sink approach but the usual burn across the surface seemed to work best for me. Plus you get the bonus of seeing the fish explode on your lure at the surface. Adrenaline!

Last thing I’ll say is that the whole process was EXHAUSTING. Amazing, but damn if they don’t wipe you out with all that casting, fast reeling, and of course the fight. One of my best fishing experiences to date.

883958A8-FDA0-4437-9D4D-3CC1A66B3EE4.jpeg

Edited by GoldenAnchor

1 hour ago, GoldenAnchor said:

I was fishing the same day/time/area from shore and trust me the spin fisherman were hooking up plenty. I caught 5. There were about 8 guys in the area around me (including me) and collectively we probably caught ~40. There were so many more people fishing along the shore and I am sure they caught too but I was only paying attention to the guys closest to me. I was really impressed by how well we all worked together to avoid tangles while these fish were buzzing from side to side.

I caught all of mine right at the surface, blind casting but knowing they were there. Others were letting their lure sink and it’s true they were catching more. I tried the sink approach but the usually burn across the surface seemed to work best for me. Plus you get the bonus of seeing the fish explode on your lure at the surface. Adrenaline!

Last thing I’ll say is that the whole process was EXHAUSTING. Amazing, but damn if they don’t wipe you out with all that casting, fast reeling, and of course the fight. One of my best fishing experiences to date.

I’ll add one more point:

You’ll probably notice that I was using a TA clip and a bigger one at that. My other set up had a  TA micro clip that was working great. That eventually got broke off at a rock so I direct tied my next jig. That worked well until more leader broke off (damn rocks, smart fish). I ultimately had to switch to my rod that I use for stripers, with a barrel swivel and TA clip at opposite ends of a 30-pound fluoro leader. Happy to say that caught well too. I totally believe that the barrel and clip would interfere with hook-ups on a day when they are more picky, but yesterday it didn’t seem to matter.

20 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I wonder if that's because so many spin fishermen burn their lures in top speed on top.

I've hooked up quite a few times letting my jigs sink. To the point where I often get sea robins and fluke.

I can tell you that when fly fishing,  I often do well with sinking lines. This past sunday, I only got one on the fly (+ one on a spinning rod), but it was down deep and I had 4 other hits that I couldn't drive the hook home.

4 hours ago, GoldenAnchor said:

I caught all of mine right at the surface, blind casting but knowing they were there. Others were letting their lure sink and it’s true they were catching more. I tried the sink approach but the usual burn across the surface seemed to work best for me. Plus you get the bonus of seeing the fish explode on your lure at the surface. Adrenaline!

Funny you mentioned the part I bolded...I pretty much always get a bigger kick out of taking them on the fly. But my spin fishing weak spot is throwing unweighted albie snax for the very reason you mentioned