Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DSem215

I love working at a dock

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My grandpop was a longshoreman until he was 75 on the Delaware river he fished with a hand line wrapped around a Folgers can he used bolts and nuts for sinkers never fished with a rod but would fish all the time when it was slow caught all kinds of fish along the docks. I gave him a rod and reel but never used it. 

14 mins ago, onthefly said:

My grandpop was a longshoreman until he was 75 on the Delaware river he fished with a hand line wrapped around a Folgers can he used bolts and nuts for sinkers never fished with a rod but would fish all the time when it was slow caught all kinds of fish along the docks. I gave him a rod and reel but never used it. 

Sounds like a good man that knows what he wants. 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, onthefly said:

That’s great! What was he tossing out? Fly like offerings? Spoons? Baited hook?

And do you have any pics or lists of the different species he caught? 

So many interesting things with this story. 

Posted (edited)

On 9/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, DSem215 said:

FF366B00-FED3-4730-BBCF-D102DC5389AE.jpeg

You’re really not that far from the 250 parts per million chlorine count that is used to define “freshwater” versus brackish or “saltwater” (not ocean obviously)

I bet all kinds of species are up that far - especially in summer & spring. 

Edited by EricDice
Kinds not kids

19 mins ago, EricDice said:

You’re really not that far from the 250 parts per million chlorine count that is used to define “freshwater” versus brackish or “saltwater” (not ocean obviously)

I bet all kids of species are up that far - especially in summer & spring. 

Those Tinicum kids and Esssington kids are special

10 mins ago, DSem215 said:

Those Tinicum kids and Esssington kids are special

Lol. 

I put a ton of conveyors in at a company called foamex down there in the late 90’s…. It was always a toss up for lunch, sneak out back and fish or Lou Turks….. we had a better chance of finishing lunch smelling like fish if we picked Turks lol.

1 hour ago, bigfish4me said:

I put a ton of conveyors in at a company called foamex down there in the late 90’s…. It was always a toss up for lunch, sneak out back and fish or Lou Turks….. we had a better chance of finishing lunch smelling like fish if we picked Turks lol.

Lou Turks. I took the one guy from work there on a lunch break at 1am. Needless to say, he’s ruined lol

7 mins ago, riggler said:

so how is the fishing ?

I mean, it’s okay. The current is STRONG here. I like using the water to test out plugs. But when I just wanna catch fish. I throw a 3/0 circle hook with some fish bite and catch catfish all night.

I was college roommates with Lou's younger son. He would invite the ladies to parties. The family also owned the Spotsman's Club in Springfield. Is that place still in existence?