Question for you older guys

ccb

11 mins ago, adam42 said:

So these are periwinkles? I have a bunch of them and had no idea what to make of it.

These are them. Made in Stratford CT. We'd run about a 6ft length of 80lb, or 100lb mono leader, and tie it to an 8/0 hook, add a red pork rind and dropped it down. Snap jigging the entire time. 

26 mins ago, adam42 said:

This explains so much, so many of the old saltwater lure lots on ebay include mister twisters and mann's jelly worms and I always found that inclusion puzzling as everything else was pretty standard gear you'd expect to see in a saltwater tacklebox

also tons of jeros tackle, i have two unused surf bags of theres, still with the tags on them, think they are worth anything?

12 mins ago, CWitek said:

I'm completely out of touch with the collectors' market.  I still fish green Penn spinning reels, black sideplate Senators, and at least one fiberglass rod that was made prior to the moon landing.  Most of my "modern" offshore stuff are Penn Internationals purchased when George H.W. Bush was president, on rods built at the same time.

I have probably fed many collectable plugs to bluefish over the years

So I'm a bad one to ask about prices, but here's my best guess.

Jeros was a "popular priced" producer, so their stuff wouldn't be collectible on a "quality" basis, like an old hickory Tycoon rod or a Fin-Nor trolling reel.  But if the bags are in good shape, it's possible that they still have some value as an example of what people used in the past.  Worst case, you could see if anyone is selling one on ebay, and look at what they're asking, although the ask is pretty meaningless unless someone puts up a bid.

I'm not 100% sure they're still in business. I have come up with a couple of listings for the company, and an old Facebook page. The last address I see listed is Rahway NJ

Their value may only be sentimental value to us older guys, as this is what we fished with growing up. The items were sold in B+T shops, sporting good stores, and even the five and ten cent stores of the 60's and 70's so I doubt if monetarily if they have any added value other than to open the package and use the stuff. Prices on that big online auction site seem to be even less than the original price. And still a good deal over today's retail prices.

I had bought a boatload of Perwinkles a couple of years ago for either $1.50, or $2.50 each. Sold a few here for a few dollar more but that included shipping.

I have trolled using the Periwinkles since I bought them, and haven't caught a damn fish on them. Back in the 80's we couldn't keep the blues off them. Go figure.

Just now, CWitek said:

I'm completely out of touch with the collectors' market.  I still fish green Penn spinning reels, black sideplate Senators, and at least one fiberglass rod that was made prior to the moon landing.  Most of my "modern" offshore stuff are Penn Internationals purchased when George H.W. Bush was president, on rods built at the same time.

Jeros was a "popular priced" producer, so their stuff wouldn't be collectible on a "quality" basis, like an old hickory Tycoon rod or a Fin-Nor trolling reel.  But if the bags are in good shape, it's possible that they still have some value as an example of what people used in the past.  Worst case, you could see if anyone is selling one on ebay, and look at what they're asking, although the ask is pretty meaningless unless someone puts up a bid.

Oh to be clear, I'm buying these because I'm cheap and it's for fishing and fishing only - work and geography made it so I hadn't fished for about 20 years so and as a result when I resumed fishing this year after moving back to Maine again, my tackle box is a time capsule of the gear a teen would have picked up on clearance at Kittery Trading Post and LL Bean in the 90s. I found that gear still caught fish and really balked at seeing plugs approach $20 a piece in hardware stores up here so looked online and then started searching for replacing the old rebels I was losing with more old rebels and it kinda snowballed from there where I now have spent way too much time and money acquiring old gear - will probably need to start selling some of it next year just because I love acquiring them so much I don't want to stop.

from my understanding, it's only worth anything if it were both unfished and in it's original container and considered valuable in it's heyday - this eliminates 99% of all "vintage" lures on ebay from having any value beyond "will it still catch fish"

there are many sellers that try in vain to sell an old rusty "rare vintage" 7" rebel for $40 plus shipping but if you track them, you'll see these things literally never sell, it's because the seller looked up "vintage lure" for a price comparison and saw an unused beachmaster seller for $60 so figured this would be an easy sell at $40 not realizing that people are buying large lots of old rebels for $2-3 per lure including shipping

however, I've gotten a few pieces just for fun, I got some Finnish Uistin lures for about $4 each because I'm part Finnish and the packaging is all Finnish and these appear to be a short lived attempt at copying Rapala not because they hold value but because it's a neat novelty for me

also looking at getting some "ripolas" which appear to be where another Finn decided to knockoff his countryman but moved the production to Japan (most are sold as "pre Rapola" like they changed their name instead of Folex vs Rolex) - sadly, this seller thinks these are actually worth something so we've reached an impasse and it seems I will not be acquiring any Ripolas anytime soon

A bunch of times the seller is just too lazy to even bother account for the contents and just want to get rid of it. Often a son or daughter clearing out their parents stuff.  These are mostly busts but sometimes hold some neat nuggets. One lot of bucktails that seemed to have a surf bag included caught my eye because I needed a surf bag and bucktails and when it came I found there were two of the bags and they still had their tags on and that was a nice surprise - was planning on using them anyway but given how expensive some surf bags go for I did hold out hope these may actually be worth something. Other times you can get burned though, in one I saw a Shimano Stradic 8000 was laying in the box so I bid on it fairly aggressively (as did others for same reason) and was disappointed to find out it was the FI when it arrived - still not terrible given everything else included but it was just another lot instead of a great deal as I was hoping

I'm also rehabbing all my grandpas fishing reels and rods and next year will be fishing with gear that's nearly all older than I am.

19 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

These are them. Made in Stratford CT. We'd run about a 6ft length of 80lb, or 100lb mono leader, and tie it to an 8/0 hook, add a red pork rind and dropped it down. Snap jigging the entire time. 

thank you for this, i have a whole tray of these things that I just looked with a wtf is this I have no idea how to rig or fish them

On 9/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, ccb said:

Dave Davis rings a bell ?

This is what I called them... I fished some Sierra lakes in the 70s, in an inflatable with them... Row into the wind and drift back with the Dave Davis and a nightcrawler hanging off the back, both ways.. Really worked well for the trout...

Butch

Early 80's, We used periwinkles after the bluefish slammed the bunker.  Catch a bunch on chunks and then it would stop.  Then we would throw out the Periwinkles and drag and pump them on mono in shallow water and wire in deeper water to grind out a few more fish.  Same time frame,  Drifted the mouth of the Nissequogue after dark, with broken back Fire tiger rebels for weakfish.  4-10 pounds. Dead sticked.  Cast them out and drift with the tide.  Daytime hit the drop off the Nissequogue were it dropped from 12 to 50.  Diamond jigs lifted only about 18" and dropped back down.  Weakfish and shad all day. no more though.  they don't seem to stack up there anymore.  lasted like 5 years..

Edited by flyman28

On 9/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, CWitek said:

"still fish green Penn spinning reels" I loved those reels! I had them all, from the 716 to the 704's. The only reason we switched over to something newer was when we started using braided line. I assume you are still using mono with them. I sometimes wish I'd kept a few just for 'nostalgia fishing'...:howdy:

9 hours ago, finbar said:

"still fish green Penn spinning reels" I loved those reels! I had them all, from the 716 to the 704's. The only reason we switched over to something newer was when we started using braided line. I assume you are still using mono with them. I sometimes wish I'd kept a few just for 'nostalgia fishing'...:howdy:

Mono on the 712 and 710, Fireline on the 704,

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, adam42 said:

Oh to be clear, I'm buying these because I'm cheap and it's for fishing and fishing only - work and geography made it so I hadn't fished for about 20 years so and as a result when I resumed fishing this year after moving back to Maine again, my tackle box is a time capsule of the gear a teen would have picked up on clearance at Kittery Trading Post and LL Bean in the 90s. I found that gear still caught fish and really balked at seeing plugs approach $20 a piece in hardware stores up here so looked online and then started searching for replacing the old rebels I was losing with more old rebels and it kinda snowballed from there where I now have spent way too much time and money acquiring old gear - will probably need to start selling some of it next year just because I love acquiring them so much I don't want to stop.

from my understanding, it's only worth anything if it were both unfished and in it's original container and considered valuable in it's heyday - this eliminates 99% of all "vintage" lures on ebay from having any value beyond "will it still catch fish"

there are many sellers that try in vain to sell an old rusty "rare vintage" 7" rebel for $40 plus shipping but if you track them, you'll see these things literally never sell, it's because the seller looked up "vintage lure" for a price comparison and saw an unused beachmaster seller for $60 so figured this would be an easy sell at $40 not realizing that people are buying large lots of old rebels for $2-3 per lure including shipping

however, I've gotten a few pieces just for fun, I got some Finnish Uistin lures for about $4 each because I'm part Finnish and the packaging is all Finnish and these appear to be a short lived attempt at copying Rapala not because they hold value but because it's a neat novelty for me

also looking at getting some "ripolas" which appear to be where another Finn decided to knockoff his countryman but moved the production to Japan (most are sold as "pre Rapola" like they changed their name instead of Folex vs Rolex) - sadly, this seller thinks these are actually worth something so we've reached an impasse and it seems I will not be acquiring any Ripolas anytime soon

A bunch of times the seller is just too lazy to even bother account for the contents and just want to get rid of it. Often a son or daughter clearing out their parents stuff.  These are mostly busts but sometimes hold some neat nuggets. One lot of bucktails that seemed to have a surf bag included caught my eye because I needed a surf bag and bucktails and when it came I found there were two of the bags and they still had their tags on and that was a nice surprise - was planning on using them anyway but given how expensive some surf bags go for I did hold out hope these may actually be worth something. Other times you can get burned though, in one I saw a Shimano Stradic 8000 was laying in the box so I bid on it fairly aggressively (as did others for same reason) and was disappointed to find out it was the FI when it arrived - still not terrible given everything else included but it was just another lot instead of a great deal as I was hoping

I'm also rehabbing all my grandpas fishing reels and rods and next year will be fishing with gear that's nearly all older than I am.

I'm pretty much convinced that most people selling fishing gear on the auction site really have no idea about what they are selling. I think they procure most of their merchandise from estate/garage sales or abandoned storage lockers. They base their prices on whatever other people doing the same thing are selling at. I've bought several reels off the bay. I'll admit that I've been burned in some way, shape, or form on the higher end reels I've bought, and through deduction, came to the conclusion that the seller really had no idea about them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, jkrock said:

Not my style of fishing but I always heard them referred to as Davis rigs or Davis spinners, plus some of the other names mentioned like ford fenders, etc.

i bet for salmon and lake trout you could run them off a downrigger and fish a lure or bait behind them off a release

Ive got a bin full of them from old tackle boxes I’ve picked up at yard sales over the years

821977B1-6706-4635-B275-48399D3E4B29.jpeg

Great stuff. Having grown up in Tacoma, we used a ton of Les Davis gear.

A lot of salmon died as a result of using his gear. There is a fishing pier out here named after him.

We called the rig the original poster asked about pop gear.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

7 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Great stuff. Having grown up in Tacoma, we used a ton of Les Davis gear.

A lot of salmon died as a result of using his gear. There is a fishing pier out here named after him.

We called the rig the original poster asked about pop gear.

SF

I lived out in that area from 93-97.  Lastly in Redondo.  Used to go to Shoff’s tackle in Kent(I think).  I remember it being called pop gear now that you said it!

I’m sure that stuff in the picture was from old tackle boxes I picked up out there

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

On 9/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, adam42 said:

Back in the 80s we used to use Nils Master lures.  They were Finnish rapala type lures.  

And I think my tackle sounds like yours.  I’m a cheap bastard and can’t bring myself to throw $20 bills into the ocean

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

2 hours ago, jkrock said:

I lived out in that area from 93-97.  Lastly in Redondo.  Used to go to Shoff’s tackle in Kent(I think).  I remember it being called pop gear now that you said it!

I’m sure that stuff in the picture was from old tackle boxes I picked up out there

Yes, Sniff’s was in Kent. Unfortunately it closed in about 2002. I really liked that place and it was a good resource for a lot of things.

Do you have any pearl wobblers in your collection? These accounted for a lot of salmon being caught as well.

SF

81B479A2-4C17-429F-B815-8E12925692FC.jpeg

3F3BF9F9-F169-43C0-A590-6E6317CE888E.jpeg