ccb

Question for you older guys

39 posts in this topic

What  is the name of the lure that had 5 or 6 hammered gold Colorado spinner blades that they trolled with on the lakes for lake trout.   Started with a very large spoon  ( about 4” wide ) and they got smaller as they got to the end of the chain?   I think they had red beads also in between the Spoons ? 

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, ccb said:

What  is the name of the lure that had 5 or 6 hammered gold Colorado spinner blades that they trolled with on the lakes for lake trout.   Started with a very large spoon  ( about 4” wide ) and they got smaller as they got to the end of the chain?   I think they had red beads also in between the Spoons ? 

troling harnes for eyes ,steelie or salmon.

the 4" wide blade in front harnes is flasher,there is few names and few defrent models..

they make spoon harnes,the regular harnes is tied to spoon.

they make that from stinger spoon and there is few defrent makers off same spoones with defrent names.

you can order kit from jan netcraft from tolido and make yourself,they use them on lake erie and lake ontario.

Edited by snag777

Davis Spinners by les Davis. 
had the little keel. We used to troll them with a rigged shiner behind it on lead core or wire. S S L O W was the key 

Yup, cowbell or Davis spinners.  They create a sh*t load of drag and require a heavier rod to fish.  

I preferred a smaller string of spinners or simply a small flashy dodger.

Posted (edited)

They went by many names depending on their blade shapes and size, usually the smaller or slimmer the blades the more there was of them. you can't have to much drag or the rods get to stiff. Names: Ford Fenders, Sep's, Giant, general names for all, lake trolls. Luhr Jensen made many styles.

Edited by spoonplugger1

12 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

Cowbell spinners. 

403C0985-8EA1-403F-828D-2EE821B74A63.jpeg

I agree with Fishjerk, they are just another style or type of cowbells.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Kones1 said:

Christmas tree rig

I'll second the name "Christmas Tree Rig".  I used one of those rigs when my new wife and I did a 7 day trip into the Boundary Waters canoe area in Minnesota back in the early 1970s.  Like a ton of resistance when slow trolling these rigs... and I knew nothing about fishing them.  Every now and then the rig would bounce off the bottom and I'd think it was a hit.  I'd set the hook fairly hard and I'd fight the big fish to the surface, hoot'n & hollering all the way in, only to find out I was fighting just the increased resistance of the rig thinking it was a big fish.  I mean, when I'd set the hook hard all the big Christmas Tree spinners would be spinning like airplane propellers.  How embarrassing was that to the new wife... and it happened a couple of times.