MrPoleBenda

Daiwa Tournament Ballistic surf rods

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new here. But have been stalking the site for a long time lol. As this site is a treasure trove of information, regarding anything fishing

I'm just curious to know, if anyone has had experience with Daiwas ballistic surf rods? Old and current models? And if so, what are the differences? Aside from color? And is the current model capable of doing what the old one can? Seeing as the older model can be used for either spinning or conventional. 

Thank you for any feedback and input.

be the first to buy try and review it. :)

they probably updated the blank to the newer lines from japan.

since theyve always been under a coat or red, blue, green, white, silver paint.

we wont know until someone tries.

6 hours ago, MrPoleBenda said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. But have been stalking the site for a long time lol. As this site is a treasure trove of information, regarding anything fishing

I'm just curious to know, if anyone has had experience with Daiwas ballistic surf rods? Old and current models? And if so, what are the differences? Aside from color? And is the current model capable of doing what the old one can? Seeing as the older model can be used for either spinning or conventional. 

Thank you for any feedback and input.

I own 3 of them.  I do not own any of the factory built versions.  I purchased the blanks and had them built by Nicks Custom Rods in Kill Devil Hills, NC.  

I have a silver "hatteras" 40-425, maroon "hatteras special" 40-405, and a Tournament Ballistic (bright red) 33.-405.  I have not had the 33-405 built, I am dropping it off next week though.  

My silver 40-425 and maroon 40-405 can throw 8oz and bait with no problem at all.  The silver blank is thicker and does not accept 22mm trigger reel seat.  I'm not sure of the true difference with regards to the composition of the blanks.  The odds of you finding a silver one are slim to none.  You could find a maroon or bright red version though.  They very similar when with regards to position or reel seat and guide lay out.  There is a new blue version now, but I have yet to see one in person.  

If you are considering one of these rods, buy the blank and have it built.  The reel seat position are very low from the factory and if you are throwing conventional that will impact your cast.  I am 6'3" with long arms and I felt like I was casting like a T-Rex when I tried one of the factory built versions.

People fish the hell out of these rods, I've seen hundreds of them in action on the Hatteras beaches and never hear a complaint.  

Posted (edited)

I've owned multiple 40-405s and a 33-405, all custom built (all ballistics). They have a stiff tip, stiff butt, but much softer mid section, which, I believe caused an occasional collapse when attempting heavy weight and a power cast...meaning the mid section seemed to limit the distance capability by being the weak link between butt and tip.  When I moved on to CTS heavers, along with Century and Zziplex, I saw an amazing difference.

Edited by dcast

I own a factory built 35-405.  solid 6-7+ bait rod.  will through 8+ but the 40 is a better choice for heavier pay loads.  Very light, cast well.  Not my first rod of the truck, however My father who is 76 uses it primarily when we fish buxton.  Throws 7+ bait well and very forgiving on the shoulders/back.

Thanks for the responses and feedback everyone. I greatly appreciate it

Has anyone used them as a spinning outfit? I'm just curious because I live in Hawaii, and the main big game down here aside from Mahi, Ahi (yellow fin tuna), Marlin, etc...(need a boat for those) is GTs. Wait and bait is good and all. But there has been a lot of occasions, where I've been fishing from the cliffs (8nbait) and seen GTs crushing bait. And using a big ole popper, would've been so much better. Plus knowing I can switch from a conventional to a spinner would be a plus, even though it is niche. 

8 hours ago, MrPoleBenda said:

Has anyone used them as a spinning outfit? I'm just curious because I live in Hawaii, and the main big game down here aside from Mahi, Ahi (yellow fin tuna), Marlin, etc...(need a boat for those) is GTs. Wait and bait is good and all. But there has been a lot of occasions, where I've been fishing from the cliffs (8nbait) and seen GTs crushing bait. And using a big ole popper, would've been so much better. Plus knowing I can switch from a conventional to a spinner would be a plus, even though it is niche. 

You will not have a problem throwing spinning or conventional with the factory guides.  I’ve seen it done countless times.  

13 hours ago, dcast said:

I've owned multiple 40-405s and a 33-405, all custom built (all ballistics). They have a stiff tip, stiff butt, but much softer mid section, which, I believe caused an occasional collapse when attempting heavy weight and a power cast...meaning the mid section seemed to limit the distance capability by being the weak link between butt and tip.  When I moved on to CTS heavers, along with Century and Zziplex, I saw an amazing difference.

Agreed.  My 1305 and 1306 feel better than the  40-405.  But I still have not found a rod that feels better than the silver 40-425.  

A2E1875B-9A8A-4FC8-A6F9-E7E32D8B1EC8.jpeg

11 hours ago, MrPoleBenda said:

I wouldnt use it for GT. Little ones under 24"  ok. But big ones. Nope. Especially around rock and cliffs. Run a high chance to snap the rod. Stick with GT rods or heavier roda for that.

I have a 35-405 . Its my shark rod . Absolute beast . I use it with a vs300. I’ve thrown 10 and bait with it .

I also have the 9ft 1-4 . Super light with a VR 75.   Throws 1/2 to 3 very well . I’m sold on the durability of these rods . They are alo very light weight . Couldn’t be happier .

I can’t imagine snapping one of these rods . I had an extended fight with a 9ft Lemon shark  one night . I basically stuck the rod in the sand , sat down , and fished it with 20 plus pounds of drag . It was bent like I didn’t think possible , but it didn’t break . 

13 hours ago, EricL said:

I wouldnt use it for GT. Little ones under 24"  ok. But big ones. Nope. Especially around rock and cliffs. Run a high chance to snap the rod. Stick with GT rods or heavier roda for that.

When I was in middle school, one of the tackle shops, had a picture of a lady. Who caught a 30lb GT with an ultra light set up, and 6lb mono. They told me, she was fishing an area, loaded with rocks and reef

I've got the maroon 40-405 and my son has the green Red Drum Tackle version of the same rod.  They are both off the shelf, and are definitely light and easy to cast in my opinion.  I'm no expert caster, but you see tons of them being used around Cape Hatteras, so that says something.

Edited by johnbull

A friend of mine got the Tournament Surf Rod (newly released blue rod that replaces the Tournament ballistic).  I am building the 33-405 and 35-405 Tournament Ballistic red model.  I casted them both.  The new blue rod that is H power is exactly the same blank as the 33.  The XH variety is the same blank as the 35, and while I am not certain since I don't have it in hand, the XXH is the same blank as the 40.

The old red and new blue sections are all interchangeable on the H and the 33, etc.  The new version has the reel seat that screws up, so it's okay to install a casting cannon, while the old stock version screws down.  They also moved the reel seat position up, with a comfortable 28-29 inches from butt reel foot..  The guides on new rods are exactly the same as the old version.

524B6CCE-4892-4E2F-B18B-3A95F49FF1FC.jpeg.ae12a09df7304d007f7b96bba12e29a9.jpegDF0105C4-2005-48AE-ABA1-DF64B6225834.jpeg.d56f368c55d74447f0e756de0aac02fd.jpegMy 35 is one of the few pieces of gear that I’m completely satisfied with . And I buy and sell a lot of gear . I love the 3 piece design. It locks up tight . Perfect for the type of fishing I do .