Roccus7

Old Orchard Beach - WTH would anyone want to go there???

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I've been in Maine for over 12 summers now and cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to go to Old Orchard Beach on a summer day.  Is there something I'm missing??

This does NOT look like a good time to me at all.  Then again, I've never been a fan of crowded beaches in daylight or moonlight.  I thought Waikiki Beach was nuts when I visited...

OOB.jpg.b2099494eef7c852e4069f93d1dbc964.jpg

Me neither.  Boggles the mind.  I have memories of going there with my family as a kid.  We enjoyed it, but it was all about the rides, swimming, and eating out.  I know it was crowded, but I don't have any memory of that bothering us kids - we thought it must be something really special.  I'm sure it was a nightmare for my father, as it would be for me today.

It pleases me greatly that so many people flock to OOB as it keeps our neighborhood a bit quieter.  If that's your Maine coast experience, then go for it.  I understand lots of Canadians love it there.  I've never been.

I was on a beach this AM (not OOB) and based on the lot which the hotels use for overflow parking, it looked like someone pulled the plug and all the visitors went down the drain.   Gotta love weekdays in September!    

Teens love Old Orchard, 9 high school players were at the house, Comments were Wells girl were flabby , no athletic anything. Canadian girls are great to talk to. Words from 16-18 yr olds

We always drive past it and I went to an apple talk at the botanical gardens and he was talking about how old orchard beach was as the name suggests one of the first places of massive apple cultivation in america and it breaks his heart that today it's just Maine's version of the Jersey shore

3 mins ago, adam42 said:

Maine's version of the Jersey shore

Exactly!

I spent a lot of time as a kid during the summer in OOB. My family has property right on the beach a mile down from the pier. Definitely a nice spot and NOTHING like downtown OOB. 

I live here and don't go downtown or on the beach during the day. If I fish off the beach it's the middle of the night. Pisses me off seeing the sidewalk being washed in the early morning. My taxes hard at work, yet 1/2 the streets in this town are in major need of repair.

4 hours ago, adam42 said:

it's just Maine's version of the Jersey shore

I've always told folks it's Jersey Shore North!!

Posted (edited)

This is just like Cindy Adams column. New Yorker comes to Maine and complains about Orchard Beach. Slow news day??

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

4 mins ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

This your wife? 

9F28EF7C-AC3A-4A9F-B9B2-C2DFABAC42BE.jpeg

LOL, took me about 3 minutes to figure it out.  Although I'd love to be her Boy Toy for a chunk of her $$$$$, it would never work.  Most of my wardrobe is flannel, jeans and T-shirts...

Every damn beach is too busy in summer. All in all Old Orchard is a great place for fishing. I’d like to see some pictures of the 60 pounders caught back there during the day. Ron McKee told me of a 62lber he saw taken on a worm back in the day. Nothing like coming over the rise and seeing gannets diving. When Old Orchard beach is on it’s got a classic surfcast vibe.