Niffty

Dungeon Fishing Reports, Fall 2022

62 posts in this topic

Hit the beach sunday. Wind was whipping. Water was chocolate milk with a strong rip but small waves. Not even a tap. Could only throw tins.

Posted (edited)

On the boat today. Hit a few spots. Nada. Found blitzing blues but they refused to come out of the jfk airport exclusion zone. Thought i was gonna get stopped for getting too close. Police boat was flying towards me.

Edited by Bergallmaster

Out front this morning at  sunrise. Nothing hapening. Moved to another spot. Lots of activity. Small blues popping up here and there. Molesting spearing. One guy snagged a large bunker. Gonna hit that spot in the early AM if the west wind holds. 

Hit the back of Cape May County this weekend.  Tons o bait, a lot of fish feeding and they wldnt go after anything artificial.  Stupid fish!

Throwing swim shads in the river last night hoping for schoolies. I have a spot and pattern that's pretty reliable in the fall. Last night it took a weird turn. Hooked a nice fluke. I would say about 26". Never caught a fluke at night. Heard talk of it, but never from very reliable sources. 
Hook a second smaller one. It gets off because the hook was impaled in the tail. 
Then I hook a freakin' doormat. The thing inhaled the shad body. Had a mouth the size of my hand. Bit through the leader as I was unhooking it. (I got the plug out before releasing it.) Biggest fluke I have ever seen in person. 

This of course happens the day after fluke closed. 

I looked at a pic of a guy holding a cast of the world record and mine was easily that big. Weight, who knows? No witnesses, no pics, no weigh in. :shrug: Whatever. I caught a big fish. It was awesome. 

22 hours ago, Niffty said:

Throwing swim shads in the river last night hoping for schoolies. I have a spot and pattern that's pretty reliable in the fall. Last night it took a weird turn. Hooked a nice fluke. I would say about 26". Never caught a fluke at night. Heard talk of it, but never from very reliable sources. 
Hook a second smaller one. It gets off because the hook was impaled in the tail. 
Then I hook a freakin' doormat. The thing inhaled the shad body. Had a mouth the size of my hand. Bit through the leader as I was unhooking it. (I got the plug out before releasing it.) Biggest fluke I have ever seen in person. 

This of course happens the day after fluke closed. 

Similar thing happened to me years ago. Throwing bunker chunk in the bay. Line starts slowly clicking out. Figured it was seaweed on the line. Felt like dead weight. Nope 25" fluke the day after the season closed.  

I caught another one last night. Same spot. Nothing special though. Just a short. 

I'm done for at least a week. To windy and I'm out of town starting Wednesday.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, fishless said:

Hit the back of Cape May County this weekend.  Tons o bait, a lot of fish feeding and they wldnt go after anything artificial.  Stupid fish!

maybe teaser combo next time.

Just now, Nite_Bite_00 said:

maybe teaser combo next time.

It's a learning thing for me for sure.  I was a guest down there.  I used all my offerings I use in similar situations on the home turf to great success.  Yet down there it would not work.  Sometimes we get into a pattern and can consistently catch that we, or I, can forget what it's like to be challenged again.  It's a good thing.  Keeps you on your toes.  

1 min ago, fishless said:

It's a learning thing for me for sure.  I was a guest down there.  I used all my offerings I use in similar situations on the home turf to great success.  Yet down there it would not work.  Sometimes we get into a pattern and can consistently catch that we, or I, can forget what it's like to be challenged again.  It's a good thing.  Keeps you on your toes.  

understandable.

i have been in a rut fishing the same few spots for years and using the same offerings. easier fishing at night as i get a little longer in the tooth. 

1 hour ago, fishless said:

I just started getting a hang of spots around here. I love bear a lot of obvious spots and need to explore more. I figured NJ wood be much like LI and is not. Never used sqim shads in LI. Have great success with them here. I find blues are fussier here. I know a spot where I see guys pull in big ones on chunk in the spring. They never take artificials when I go there. 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:23 AM, fishless said:

If you figure it out, let me know. I have been in that struggle for the last 10-15 years. 

The only strategy that has ever worked for me is topwater in the early morning and in the evening. 

And sometimes live lining bait from the cast net.