Niffty

Dungeon Fishing Reports, Fall 2022

62 posts in this topic

Out front for fluke at sunrise. Managed two decent cocktail blues.1/2 OZ ball jig bucktail w/ teaser. Both tipped with gulp. Bith fish took the jig. Lots of cabbage on the rocks.

Lots of bait. Lots of talk of triggerfish. I know nothing about triggers.

10 hours ago, Niffty said:

Out front for fluke at sunrise. Managed two decent cocktail blues.1/2 OZ ball jig bucktail w/ teaser. Both tipped with gulp. Bith fish took the jig. Lots of cabbage on the rocks.

Lots of bait. Lots of talk of triggerfish. I know nothing about triggers.

Their delicious. Thats all you need to know. 

I was trying for blues or bass but kept getting shad or mullet. Not sure which they were.

12 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Their delicious. Thats all you need to know. 

I was trying for blues or bass but kept getting shad or mullet. Not sure which they were.

Probably hickory shad. You get them on the teaser hook s lot this time of year. 

Out front this AM. Great conditions on paper but no bait around. Surfers galore enjoying the hurricane conditions. Riptide seems to have moved the bait off the beach. Spot was super crowded (for post Labor day at 6AM) with anglers, shutterbugs, and regular old early birds. Moved to another spot. Handful of surfers but nobody else. Still no bait. Moved to way in the back. Very small spearing all over. One or two rogue snappers about but nothing. 

The clam run has been spectacular. Easy pickings. The beer and hot sauce were actually harder to get.

20220911_162145.jpg

Also hit the beach with the wild surf yesterday. Managed a few schoolies. I know, flag for improper fish handling. I thought i was gonna keep it. That rod, i dont have 28 marked on. Ran it up, used my sandals and realized it was about 26. Back it went. Using an old daiwa rod. Pretty sure its s glass with a mitchell 302 made for some fish fighting.Resized_20220910_103302.jpeg.1ab6d0c358e71aad9df0d86da44a1685.jpeg

Hit the dock with the kids for some snappers today. No snappers but did catch some needlefish. Anyone ever use live ones for bass?

I don't really fish bait but I'm sure you can live lines needlefish. Not sure how you wood hook them. 

Out front yesterday. False dawn to 8 am. Tiny fluke chasing my bucktail up to the lip but no takers. Plenty of showing or rain fish in the water. One guy nearby got some including a few keepers. 

Moved to the river and find peanuts busting out everywhere. Snappers on them. Amazed how small they were for this time of year. 

The ablbie show in Monmouth County was outstanding yesterday.  Too bad I was chilling on a bench with the Mrs enjoying the final day of vaca without a rod.