Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 5 - Sept 11

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Happy Labor Day... Go get 'um this week. The beaches again are ours.

More free state beach parking, more available road parking.

Went out this morning and it was quiet before first light. Once the sun peaked out the fish woke up with bass and a few blues churning up the water. They were very picky, had one on a popper but that was it. Two guys near me were in the same situation,  casting into feeding fish but mostly coming up empty. Good to see that much activity though. 

Was out this AM and caught some stripers feeding on top.  Lots of bait and birds around.   Chub mackerel still going strong. 

so far, My July and August was much better than September has started out.  this was a slow weekend for me despite high hopes. 

Still plenty of macks around, jig one up and drop it down on a 3 way rig. I usually throw plugs but it has been been kind of irresistible to keep a live lining rig at the ready when on the boat. 40+# fish doing that the past two weekends.

We made a run down yesterday morning, breaking my rule against holidays and weekends.

The goal was hardtails but we got there early enough for my son to grab a couple quick slot fish at an outflow. 

We intended to screw out of there before sunrise to get a parking spot at hardtail city. We got out just in time. The couple in the car behind mine had been fighting and it was escalating. Her stuff was thrown out into the parking lot and she was yelling "don't touch me!".

Time to leave.

The hardtails were limited to a short period in the morning when chubs and bonito came around for awhile. It didn't last very long.

The crowd was what it was. Neither worse nor better than usual for a holiday. 

We still haven't witnessed an albie caught this season. We've heard of a limited few but nothing first hand.

20220905_065508.jpg

20220905_071151.jpg

Posted (edited)

Just got lucky today with a healthy 26”- 27” (silver ring is 27”).

C0AF9D36-48C0-47BF-8E7E-5C1A413DDDCA.jpeg

Edited by levari

I'm local to the western sound, but traveled this past weekend to fish RI waters on the border of CT where wifes family has a house... I fished Friday, Sunday and Monday.  Friday and Sunday were windy, both days had multiple slot stripers at sunrise on rocky structure.  Chubbies were doing their thing off of far western RI reefs.  My wife swears she saw Bones mixed in there too.  Bass blitzing on the same reefs sporadically.  No bass takers on the 3 way porgies, but did get a 6 ft long brown shark.  3 wayed one chub which did get slammed, but not hooked.  Ran east to mid coast, not much happening, no birds aside from Weekapaug area and not much under them.  Sunday I found halfbeak schools getting eaten by bones, albies, possibly other (larger) mystery fish.  went 0 for 3 on albies and bones, had leader on all 3 fish.  Heartbreaker.  Porgies and mostly short C bass abound pretty much everywhere on small jigs.  Tried to find those halfbeaks for redemption on monday in the same spot, but no dice...  Big blues at the race area holding deep 100+ feet of water.  Not RI but close by.

18 hours ago, levari said:

Just got lucky today with a healthy 26”- 27” (silver ring is 27”).

C0AF9D36-48C0-47BF-8E7E-5C1A413DDDCA.jpeg

That sand looks familiar 

6 mins ago, Drew C. said:

That sand looks familiar 

Someone else told me the fish looks familiar…

Went out at sunset/high tide to some east facing area which is usually really solid in a NE blow and some surf.  But no one told the fish as it was pretty dead, except for one small bass that went airborne for a popper but missed.. :banghd:  Drove and looked at a few other East facing areas and could not see any schools of bait, no birds working, and no fish breaking. Seemed really odd for a Sept day with a NE wind.  Moved to a different area and once the sun got down ran into HUGE schools of 3-5" peanuts, with Mullet and Needlefish schools also working all around.  Fish were exploding on the bait everywhere but very picky fish.  Finally cracked the code of what they wanted and had all the 27 - 32" fish you could catch ( many people struggled with the picky fish).  Lost an above slot that broke me off on a rock right when getting close to landing it.  Fun night/evening overall.  Water was a little stained and weedy but fishable.

The lack of courtesy and rudeness amongst the fishing community is bad, especially many of the younger members.  Had someone literally park their boat 10' in front of folks fishing, when there were fish and bait all over, because we were catching and they could not get it figured out.  Words exchanged, close casts taken, it is just ridiculous to have that little care on how you impact others.  The future does not look bright when people just dont give a **** about how what they do affects others.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Went out at sunset/high tide to some east facing area which is usually really solid in a NE blow and some surf.  But no one told the fish as it was pretty dead, except for one small bass that went airborne for a popper but missed.. :banghd:  Drove and looked at a few other East facing areas and could not see any schools of bait, no birds working, and no fish breaking. Seemed really odd for a Sept day with a NE wind.  Moved to a different area and once the sun got down ran into HUGE schools of 3-5" peanuts, with Mullet and Needlefish schools also working all around.  Fish were exploding on the bait everywhere but very picky fish.  Finally cracked the code of what they wanted and had all the 27 - 32" fish you could catch ( many people struggled with the picky fish).  Lost an above slot that broke me off on a rock right when getting close to landing it.  Fun night/evening overall.  Water was a little stained and weedy but fishable.

The lack of courtesy and rudeness amongst the fishing community is bad, especially many of the younger members.  Had someone literally park their boat 10' in front of folks fishing, when there were fish and bait all over, because we were catching and they could not get it figured out.  Words exchanged, close casts taken, it is just ridiculous to have that little care on how you impact others.  The future does not look bright when people just dont give a **** about how what they do affects others.

Boats come in and park right on top of fish busting on the surface 40-50' off shore. Break up the action because they're too lazy to cast to the fish and they block out anyone fishing from the rocks. You've got a whole ocean to explore on your boat, if you want to catch fish this close to shore why have a boat? 

Edited by Finneus

Everyone knows by now the albie fishing has busted wide open.

Five hour trip produced 5 albies, 2 mac, 2 dropped fish, 3 caught with a fly rod, 2 on spinning gear.

20220908_071608.jpg

20220908_063844.jpg

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Big surf?

3 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Big surf?

It was decent, certainly not unfishable, but had to chose plugs wisely or would tumble in the surf.  But enough to not turn your back.