PAP

Hobie customer service

12 posts in this topic

Hi people hope all is well.  I know old Town has great customer service. What about Hobie?  Thanks again

1 hour ago, PAP said:

Hi people hope all is well.  I know old Town has great customer service. What about Hobie?  Thanks again

ive heard some experiences lately that dont sound very customer service oriented.

Hobie does not offer customer support. You 100% have to go through a dealer.

Depending on your dealer, they can make simple problems difficult, or difficult problems simple.

If you want to call the company and handle issues on your own, don't buy a hobie.

Only gripe I have is that I cannot order directly from Hobie.  Have to go through the dealer.

Almost as if they have no customer service to speak of.

I needed "Origin of Manufacture" to register my 2018 Outback in VA with a motor.  VA rep says "it is in your boat owners manual", I say, no, it is not and it is not a boat.

Called Hobie.  They said I have to go to dealer where purchased.  That dealer closed during COVID.

Ended up having to write a statement, submit receipt and photos of Yak to get my registration.

Hobie was not helpful

Hobie might have a dealer model to deal with warranty/issues, but if your dealer is not helpful and/or incompetent, the solution is to call Hobie HQ and tell them that, and don't get off the phone until you talk to someone who can help you. 

I've done that a few times with my inflatable Hobie - new product, my dealer was clueless - sure it took a few calls to Hobie's 1-800 and a willingness to express my dissatisfaction over the phone, but eventually they will either solve your issue directly or contact your dealer in a timely fashion so they can solve it. 

Hobie dealers are your first and primary stop. Some are better than others. I've dealt with some dealers that know part numbers and how to replace every single component. Other dealers know that the kayak is plastic and floats. 

Hobie does a great job trying to educate and train dealers, but it's up to the indivudual dealer to keep up and train their own employees. Find a quality dealer in your area and you're set

I had a problem with my revo. I called Hobie and they walked me through the problem. I call and sent to a voicemail but they did call me back. But that was 3 years ago. In my eyes there still the leader. I’m not saying the others aren’t good. 

On 9/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, KnewBee said:

Only gripe I have is that I cannot order directly from Hobie.  Have to go through the dealer.

Almost as if they have no customer service to speak of.

I needed "Origin of Manufacture" to register my 2018 Outback in VA with a motor.  VA rep says "it is in your boat owners manual", I say, no, it is not and it is not a boat.

Called Hobie.  They said I have to go to dealer where purchased.  That dealer closed during COVID.

Ended up having to write a statement, submit receipt and photos of Yak to get my registration.

Hobie was not helpful

That’s state law 

On 10/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, barrell said:

That’s state law 

That’s not the point … the point is a Hobie user tried to follow the process as set out by Hobie. The process clearly doesn’t work for his set of circumstances and seemingly Hobie didn’t support him or his issue … that’s just weak CS and a flawed company philosophy … IMHO