gadabout

What kind of chest pack do you use for saltwater fly fishing?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

For years I’ve been using a Filson chest pack which has compartments front and back.  I like having the back compartment for keeping an extra reel or spool.  There are two compartments in front - a blessing and a curse.  When fully loaded, it blocks my view and gets in the way at times.  So I’m looking for alternatives.  What do you guys like to use?

I can't imagine using a chest type pack in the salt. I like a small should type bag. 

I've been using a sling pack. The main content is behind me til I swing it around. The shoulder strap crosses the chest and has space to pin on zingers for nippers, hook file, hemostats (I use only in freshwater) etc. I wear pliers on my belt. Stripping basket can remain in place and pack is easy to swing around to the front for access.

I just bought the Fishpond Thunderhead fully submersible chest pack, but mainly for trout fishing, although I might use it in the salt. It has a 5 liter capacity. Haven’t used it yet though.

It just came out this year, and I was attracted to it being waterproof.

I often fish “light” with just a fly box in the front pocket of my waders and a wading belt with a Boga grip (bluefish teeth), small pouch and pliers, and tippet reel in my shirt pocket. Usually a stripping basket as well.

(I have the Thunderhead sling pack, but fall into the temptation of cramming too much in it, then deciding to leave it in the car in case I really need something else.)

I’ve never used a sling pack but am considering it. Any specific brands you recommend?  Another concern is how well do zippers hold up in the salt?

I mainly fish the salt and use a Fishpond Cross Current chest pack. 
I like having everything I need in front of me while fishing. The front magnetic compartment is perfect for holding my camera.

I can hold two spare spools and a box of flies in the back compartment.

There is also a net holder in the back.

Once or twice a year, I rinse off all the salt caked on it. Doesn’t get in my way while doing a two handed strip and has held up extremely well over the past four years.

I’d buy it again. 
What works for me may not work for you or others. I tried a sling and just didn’t like it.

SF

I've been using the Orvis guide sling pack for salt for a few years and their mini sling for fresh.  Everything has held up well so far 

Sims waypoint , it’s a sling with the workstation in front . About 6 years now = I have two , it comes in large and small I have the small = blue it’s excellent 

3A367660-DC61-4CC1-A816-95F36FE43393.jpeg.17c83ded9a80e3468f363e4dac92a452.jpeg

Never used in salt --- I just slip a small light fly box & another small pouch w leaders, extra nippers, tippets (20/30/40) in the front of my waders. Too much trouble using a pack with a stripping basket.

In fresh if I do not use a basket I use an older Orvis fanny pack that slides around to the front.

5 hours ago, harley48 said:

I've been using the Orvis guide sling pack for salt for a few years and their mini sling for fresh.  Everything has held up well so far 

Basically this.  I use the regular (not guide) for saltwater when I'm not in the boat and use the mini for trout fishing. Been doing this for a few years and they've held up nicely. 

They do make a waterproof version but I don't wade very deep and felt the waterproof one was too bulky. 

I have the orvis guide sling as well and It suits my needs for all of my salty stuff. I have a smaller simms one that I bought on this site in the BST and it has been working well for me for my trout fishing. 

I hang a Simms Dry Creek Gear Pouch off the belt of my stripping basket. It’s waterproof and, while small, holds all I need.