adam42

Maine Party Boats

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Only found two, both pretty pricey and both pretty non-commital at explaining what to expect on an outing with the. More expensive one in Bar Harbor and a slightly cheaper one in Ogunquit. The old one in Boothbay seems to no longer run :(

Anyone have any experience with them? Anything to recommend? 

Also they have rules against having more than two adult beverages or something like that. Not trying to get drunk or anything, but if I'm going to fish over a full day I think 2 is a pretty low number. Anyone know if that's actually enforced?

Posted (edited)

43 mins ago, adam42 said:

Also they have rules against having more than two adult beverages or something like that. Not trying to get drunk or anything, but if I'm going to fish over a full day I think 2 is a pretty low number. Anyone know if that's actually enforced?

My bachelor party (over a decade ago) started with a striper charter. We tried to be good and only bring the allowed amount of alcohol they listed in the rules. We knew we were going out after anyways. Once we got there, they busted our balls for not bringing enough beer. They actually ran down to the corner store to grab another case for us. So…definitely not always enforced. I think it’s to cover their butts.

edit: I guess that was a charter and not a party boat. Still, I think as long as you’re not being an idiot no one will notice or care if you have more than two. 

Edited by drmevo

Posted (edited)

Bunny Clark, the one in Ogunquit is top notch, and one of the Marathon Trips is for serious groundfishermen, although the evening trips are more family friendly.  If you want to fish, this is the only Maine option.  However both the Ogunquit and the Bar Harbor boats provide the family outing thing.  If you're heading all the way down to Ogunquit, then you should also consider the Eastman and Al Gauron fleets out of NH too. 

Yes, the Boothbay boats have folded.  The last one, which consistently schlepped all the way down to Jeffries, packed it in about 8 years ago.  I have fished some of their more local "numbers" for inshore cod with good results.

Can't comment specifically on Vagabond, but their website strongly suggests they cater to the family fishing thing, looking at the beautiful scenery and wildlife of Frenchman Bay area, as opposed to the serious fishing that the Bunny Clark provides.  They sure aren't going way offshore for some deep groundfishing: Our tour takes you 8-20 miles out of Southwest Harbor where you may catch cod, cusk, cunner, mackerel, school pollock, sculpin, redfish, and occasionally, a bluefish, wolf fish, or mako shark. "School Pollock" screams, we ain't fishing deep and verified since they don't list haddock or hake on what you may catch.  And that bluefish picture is obviously almost as old as the Rosetta Stone...

Their occasional "mako shark" is really sad, and smacks of the common misidentification of porbeagle sharks as "makos", throwing extreme doubt on how serious the Vagabond takes fishing vs. the family outing.  I'm sure that they have caught far many porbeagles than makos.  The running joke around the Midcoast was when Boothbay boats would catch "Boothbay Makos", porbeagles touted as makos.  Very confused as to how this happens, because of the distinctive white patch on the base of the trailing edge of the dorsal fin and dark grey color of porbeagles vs the often blue color of makos and no dorsal fin patch. 

Just these two items should make misidentification very hard on the water, but when you land one, the smaller and tricuspid teeth of the porbeagle make it almost impossible for anyone to say, "Yup it's a mako!"  However it is very common.  I've seen a MA charter captain claim mako on this site and show a picture of a very obvious porbeagle.  Once they were instructed to check the teeth it was, "Oh yeah, it was a porbeagle."  Go figure.  At least with the moratorium on makos now in place, I'm guessing there will be a lot more "Boothbay Makos" released in the Gulf of Maine, which is a good thing in the long run...

Edited by Roccus7

Thanks for the review, it seems the bunny clark isn't as expensive as I recall, something to think about

Just wish they'd update their website, it's murder on the eyes and pretty funny how the tell you how long a video will take to download on a 28.8 modem lolololol

Posted (edited)

Good thread.  I've also been very curious about Maine party boats. Need to restock on ground fish.  The Bunny Clark looks good.  A buddy in Massachusetts has had great trips going with Eastman's out of Seabrook NH.  

Edited by roux

7 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Our tour takes you 8-20 miles out of Southwest Harbor where you may catch cod, cusk, cunner, mackerel, school pollock, sculpin, redfish, and occasionally, a bluefish, wolf fish, or mako shark. "School Pollock" screams, we ain't fishing deep and verified since they don't list haddock or hake on what you may catch.  And that bluefish picture is obviously almost as old as the Rosetta Stone...

Their occasional "mako shark" is really sad, and smacks of the common misidentification of porbeagle sharks as "makos", throwing extreme doubt on how serious the Vagabond takes fishing vs. the family outing.  I'm sure that they have caught far many porbeagles than makos.  The running joke around the Midcoast was when Boothbay boats would catch "Boothbay Makos", porbeagles touted as makos.  Very confused as to how this happens, because of the distinctive white patch on the base of the trailing edge of the dorsal fin and dark grey color of porbeagles vs the often blue color of makos and no dorsal fin patch. 

Just these two items should make misidentification very hard on the water, but when you land one, the smaller and tricuspid teeth of the porbeagle make it almost impossible for anyone to say, "Yup it's a mako!"  However it is very common.  I've seen a MA charter captain claim mako on this site and show a picture of a very obvious porbeagle.  Once they were instructed to check the teeth it was, "Oh yeah, it was a porbeagle."  Go figure.  At least with the moratorium on makos now in place, I'm guessing there will be a lot more "Boothbay Makos" released in the Gulf of Maine, which is a good thing in the long run...

Used to do conservation work with a guy from downeast Maine who referred tio porbeagles as "fakos" because so many folksin his area  couldn't tell the difference.

I don't fish party boats, but my brother has fished them all over the East Coast and always had great things to say about the Yellowbird out of Hampton NH. 

Bunny Clark has excellent mates.  You can’t control the passengers but great captains, great crew.  First rate.  

Further north, in Wells, you have captain Satch.  Spectacular guy, great mates.  

Kennebunk has F/V nor’easter, very good mates and excellent captain.  Also excellent, great time great mates.  Passengers a little more relaxed.

there’s another one down in Seabrook NH can’t think of the name, Eastmans or something.  There’s this really irritating guy that constantly posts vids of them.  

On 9/20/2022 at 8:06 PM, Scott Charlton said:

there’s another one down in Seabrook NH can’t think of the name, Eastmans or something.  There’s this really irritating guy that constantly posts vids of them.  

LOL!!