Fishing Needle Fish..NJ

Rate this topic

JimK

1 hour ago, D1fishr said:

Ever try a dressed or bare siwash?  Thoughts?

Only if you want bluefish too

I prefer the bare flag as I want nothing to do with bluefish

(unless I'm targeting them in which case it's poppers and metal all with single crushed barb hooks)

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

“Fish it just fast enough to be bored….” Is definitely the way to go. Its one of my go to change of light lures, especially out front, when there isnt any qualities of a specific bait around. Ive also had success casting almost parallel to the shore line too. Bluefish do love them. Good in the back when adult needlefish are stacked in the back certain times of the year.
ultimately like any other lure, it needs dedicated time being fished to really unlock its potential in your area.

One thing Ive read but never tried is letting sink to the bottom and popping like a sand eel fleeing the bottom. Will certainly be trying it if the sand eels are in this winter.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, adams54 said:

I'm no expert but I've had some success with the superstrike needlefish. There's a heavy version I use out front that's great for punching it out there in high wind rough surf conditions. Has no action other then what you impart on it. I use a straight retrieve with the occasional rod twitch thrown in there to help me feel better about myself. Not very productive for me but tends to catch the larger fish.  I should try it out back and see what happens and report back.

Jigging the heavy needle off the bottom  is effective 

Boston Strong

I used to fish needles but mostly up north in places like Block Island, Montauk and Cuttyhunk.  While it has a place here in NJ, I find the magnum bomber to be more effective on both surf and kayak.   In fact, my very last trip to Block Island, the needles weren't doing much of anything so I switched to the parrot mag bomber and it was game on - with a fish on nearly every cast for the next three hours!