Redhawk7

Bell rd

Rate this topic

279 posts in this topic

Asians like them. On partyboat trips, if I land a decent sized bergall, someone is sure to ask if I'm keeping it.

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

In Middle Atlantic speak, it's a bergall. And nice enough eating, if you find any that are worth using a fillet knife.

Is that some fancy highfalutin lawyers word fer White Perch ?

4 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Is that some fancy highfalutin lawyers word fer White Perch ?

Here we go - another happy trip down White Perch Avenue!:) Also, I just read in the local rag that a 2.5 lb white perch was weighed in at Jerry's in Milford. It didn't mention the length. I'm guessing at least a fat 17"?

1 min ago, finbar said:

Here we go - another happy trip down White Perch Avenue!:) Also, I just read in the local rag that a 2.5 lb white perch was weighed in at Jerry's in Milford. It didn't mention the length. I'm guessing at least a fat 17"?

Pin fish

Years ago at Eastern Point at Gloucester I used to see elderly European folks (Italian I think, not positive), men and women, using small cane poles to noodle little 5 inch cunner from the caves in the jetty rocks.

I can't even imagine how you clean and prepare a bucket full of 5 inch cunner.

I just caught this on Bell Rd on a 4oz loaded Cordell.  Can you say state pin baby!  Top that Bassmaster.:naughty:

8695332977444175379.jpg

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Years ago at Eastern Point at Gloucester I used to see elderly European folks (Italian I think, not positive), men and women, using small cane poles to noodle little 5 inch cunner from the caves in the jetty rocks.

I can't even imagine how you clean and prepare a bucket full of 5 inch cunner.

When I was a kid we would fish pips on the canal for flatfish.

Next to us was sometimes a family who would catch and clean dozens of tiny choggies.   The kids would catch them on tiny hooks and drop them in a bucket.  The mom would clean and scale each one.   

If we happen to catch one on our flounder hooks they would happily take it from us.

22 hours ago, BrianBM said:

In Middle Atlantic speak, it's a bergall. And nice enough eating, if you find any that are worth using a fillet knife.

No surprise, they're closely related to tautog. Back when I was a kid, the old Portuguese guys would catch the small ones by the buckets off the Sandwich bulkhead, gut them, and use them whole to make a fish soup. They'd strain the bones and heads.

Posted (edited)

Headed to the canal this morning for the first time in a long time. Could have fished pretty much anywhere I wanted along the entire stretch of the canal on both sides….. except Bell Rd. People stacked elbow to elbow, mostly all hucking pencil poppers. There was one quick school of schoolie sized bass or small blues that came through right at the shore and watched 12 people cast at them to no avail. 

What exactly is the draw? Camaraderie? 

Edited by JTR

6 hours ago, adam42 said:

where did the whole white perch meme originate?

I bet @HugeDinghy would know he had it in use before I joined here in 2012. I lurked here awhile and joined when the photo forum came to being .

12 hours ago, adam42 said:

where did the whole white perch meme originate?

I don't really know exactly when it all started. It just makes me laugh every time somebody asks for a fish identification - whether a Mako shark or an Albie, it's only a matter of time before someone says "white perch!" It is especially funny when a couple posters are 'seriously' going back and forth about a species that are obviously not a white perch....:) 

9 hours ago, JTR said:

Headed to the canal this morning for the first time in a long time. Could have fished pretty much anywhere I wanted along the entire stretch of the canal on both sides….. except Bell Rd. People stacked elbow to elbow, mostly all hucking pencil poppers. There was one quick school of schoolie sized bass or small blues that came through right at the shore and watched 12 people cast at them to no avail. 

I fished canal Friday sunrise but I was on east side of sagamore bridge. Very few people fishing. No fish either. Someone walking said there were some schoolies down the road but I didn’t have my bike and didn’t want to walk that distance. 
hit bell rd around 10am and there wasn’t too many people there. No fish either. The other side by rr bridge also looks like a congregation place.  I stay away from these areas at peak times.  

12 hours ago, JTR said:

each one thinks the guy next to him must know something................

15 mins ago, unskunk said:

each one thinks the guy next to him must know something................

You're partially right.:laugh:

I know this much, all the guys with OOSP (out of state plates) have a long, depressing ride home.