Redhawk7

Bell rd

Rate this topic

279 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Turkeybacn said:

That's Heartbreaking. Suicide isn't the answer, if anyone reading this needs an ear PLEASE reach out, It gets better.

Hey that's a great message bud.

Good on you

49 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

That's Heartbreaking. Suicide isn't the answer, if anyone reading this needs an ear PLEASE reach out, It gets better.

Worst part of it is that is just transfers the pain to your loved ones. Good friend of mine's brother committed suicide and another one's son and neither were ever the same again, just shells devoid of happiness. It was heartbreaking to see what it did to them and the guilt they felt for not having done enough to prevent it.

15 mins ago, adam42 said:

Worst part of it is that is just transfers the pain to your loved ones. Good friend of mine's brother committed suicide and another one's son and neither were ever the same again, just shells devoid of happiness. It was heartbreaking to see what it did to them and the guilt they felt for not having done enough to prevent it.

I lost a close friend to suicide, the pain his loved ones have and still go through is unimaginable. I've struggled with suicidal thoughts throughout my life. You know it will hurt the ones you love but At a point you convince yourself they'd be better off without you around. 

I gotta admit, being so close to it has me a little shook.

If we had gotten a later start, we might have been going by when he got out of his car and walked onto the bridge. Would I have noticed? Would I have thought to ask if they needed help?

It's also unsettling to know we were just down current from the bridge. I really hate to think about him going by past us out there.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, mikez2 said:

I gotta admit, being so close to it has me a little shook.

If we had gotten a later start, we might have been going by when he got out of his car and walked onto the bridge. Would I have noticed? Would I have thought to ask if they needed help?

It's also unsettling to know we were just down current from the bridge. I really hate to think about him going by past us out there.

A similar thing had me rattled for a while.  Me and the old lady were just getting done fishing and were hauling my trailered boat home.   I was driving on cut through road behind a shopping center when I noticed a pickup truck tucked in a weird location.   I went so far as to stop and ask my wife if we should check it out.   The week before we had seen some dope fiends stealing metal and called the cops which ended up in a high speed chase with the thieves v the cops.  Since I had the boat on the trailer and was just ready to go home, I left the location without doing anything.

Long story short, I drove by the where that truck was the next day and the place was loaded with flowers.   The news hadn’t broken by that time, but I soon found out that a young man had committed suicide there inside his truck.  Turns out it was a pretty infamous case which gathered a lot of attention.

I often wonder what may have happened had I stopped.  Could I have prevented something?  Or could I have stumbled upon the completed deed and had to deal with that?  I know the man’s family which makes it even worse.  I think about it a lot.

8 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

A similar thing had me rattled for a while.  Me and the old lady were just getting done fishing and were hauling my trailered boat home.   I was driving on cut through road behind a shopping center when I noticed a pickup truck tucked in a weird location.   I went so far as to stop and ask my wife if we should check it out.   The week before we had seen some dope fiends stealing metal and called the cops which ended up in a high speed chase with the thieves v the cops.  Since I had the boat on the trailer and was just ready to go home, I left the location without doing anything.

Long story short, I drove by the where that truck was the next day and the place was loaded with flowers.   The news hadn’t broken by that time, but I soon found out that a young man had committed suicide there inside his truck.  Turns out it was a pretty infamous case which gathered a lot of attention.

I often wonder what may have happened had I stopped.  Could I have prevented something?  Or could I have stumbled upon the completed deed and had to deal with that?  I know the man’s family which makes it even worse.  I think about it a lot.

I have been thinking of that poor bastard all weekend long.

What could have possibly been so horrible in his life that it motivated such drastic actions?

Was his life really so hopeless? Or did mental illness or addiction distort his perception?

WTF was going through his head when he made that walk from his car...?

One thing is for sure, as a complete stranger, totally uninvolved, it left a mark.

I can't fathom how the family feels.

Another thing for sure, if I ever see someone walking on a big bridge in the dark, I'm gonna stop.

I think it was 1975. I'm towing my boat over the Bourne bridge, 430am on my way to Woods Hole.

Parked right on top, was a running car, in park, driver's door open.  I swung into the SP barracks, reported it and went on my way.

I remember when the Samaritan sign used to say "Don't Jump". I guess They changed it. Maybe too suggestive?

I actually walked across the Sagamore bridge on a number of occasions as a teenager in the 70s. I used to hitchhike to the Cape and invariably the bridge would be a parking lot. I would ditch my ride, walk across and get another ride after the rotary. Back then hitchhiking was easy and the Cape the best place to do it.

Anyway, I wasn't suicidal but walking across and looking down, you can't help wondering....

The creepy thing about the Samaritan sign, his car was parked very near it. I didn't make note of the exact spot but was very near the sign.

Sometimes people cannot escape their demons no matter the help that is offered. 

And it would appear that recent events have only compounded the pressures some people face.

A buddy and i were on our way out to Montauk years ago early in the AM, pitch black, down that stretch of nothing before town. Friend driving suddenly swerves his truck violently, and as i look back i see a figure jogging on the center lines going west. Missed him by a hair. Forgot about it while fishing all day. After i got home my buddy gives me a call, some poor 19 yo girl hit the guy on her way to work. Dead. Guy was drinking all night and left his friends and jogged out of town. Pretty jarring, and i think about that poor girl to this day.

I read something about suicide when I worked in the prison. Not all but some show signs of real happiness and peaceful demeanor the day of. It seems the deamons they struggle with daily are suddenly put to rest shortly before they end it. Happiness even as they come to the final decision    Weird.