UncleJohn

September 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

401 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Hired snapper guide. Went 4-4 on little kastmaster for my son.   Nothing like getting mugged for snappers.  Very odd world we live in. 

also they should ban go pros. Why do you have go pros catching 12” fluke and snappers.  

… wait… you got mugged while fishing with your son??!? 

some ppl have no class… cmon 

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Hired snapper guide. Went 4-4 on little kastmaster for my son.   Nothing like getting mugged for snappers.  Very odd world we live in. 

also they should ban go pros. Why do you have go pros catching 12” fluke and snappers.  

I hear ya on the go-pro thing. Don’t put me on your recorded **** and think it’s cool. 

3 mins ago, DSem215 said:

I hear ya on the go-pro thing. Don’t put me on your recorded **** and think it’s cool. 

I think most people here would jump at the chance to make a living creating fishing videos, most fail, the only ones we ever see on Youtube are the 1% that made it and cultivated a following

couple more on the fly last night. had a good bite going till the fireworks started going off over the water. shut things off like a light switch 

DCF497CD-6EEA-403A-8E13-BA058F027F65.jpeg

42 mins ago, adam42 said:

I think most people here would jump at the chance to make a living creating fishing videos, most fail, the only ones we ever see on Youtube are the 1% that made it and cultivated a following

It’s a real niche platform. The ones that have it established are the ones that can hit the water whenever they want and to be honest with you, most of us can’t. So for the ones that just wanna have a good night/day out and not be bothered. Don’t stand there filming me catching fish for your benefit of having video content. 

Posted (edited)

If it was your job you'd be surprised how suddenly you too would have the chance to hit the water every day.

You don't need to respect what they do. But none of them succeeded by accident. It's a massively crowded field that requires a ton of ambition to even consider pursuing since it'll take months before you even gain a large enough following for Youtube to start including you in monetization.

And people filming you catch a fish are tourists with a camera not Youtubers. That's not cool, but just tell them "hey I'd appreciate not being filmed"

Edited by adam42

16 mins ago, adam42 said:

If it was your job you'd be surprised how suddenly you too would have the chance to hit the water every day.

You don't need to respect what they do. But none of them succeeded by accident. It's a massively crowded field that requires a ton of ambition to even consider pursuing since it'll take months before you even gain a large enough following for Youtube to start including you in monetization.

And people filming you catch a fish are tourists with a camera not Youtubers. That's not cool, but just tell them "hey I'd appreciate not being filmed"

I respect any aspect of working. So I’m not opposed to what they’re doing for a living. And I’ve done exactly what you said. You’d be surprised by the crazy looks you get when you say something like that. Some people treat you with respect and apologize. Some just give a dirty look like you’re the one in the way.

2 hours ago, ICastAsJason said:

So wrong to diss the albie run last year. I did really well on Albies last year, but from my Sea Doo fish pro. I know, they don't count. But usually each morning they were 400m from shore from point to seaside. And not to mention the nonstop Spanish in between blitzes.

I seen you out there haha. I see you go by when I am on the kayak. I want one of those Seadoo fish pro. One day…

4 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

… wait… you got mugged while fishing with your son??!? 

some ppl have no class… cmon 

Yes it happens. People suck.   I chose a different area than I usually go and this is what happens.  

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

I find the best way to do it is

1. wait until they’re thicker. There will always be a first guy hero but I never want to be that guy.

2. fish the early morning hours/first light for bass and keep a rod rigged for albies if they happen to pop up. This will happen less than 1% of the time. The time it happens will make all the annoying times worth it. 

as you said, strictly targeting albies from land is a fools game and a good way to get exhausted and your family pissed off while going 0/12

I’m gona have to respectfully disagree with this.  There are ways to increase your catch chances and decrease your attempts towards success.  I used to be the guy who went 12 times and skunked but each time I learned something new.  Now I go and strike out maybe 2 or 3 times at most every year before I start catching. Sometimes I even catch on my first try! 

I always wait for the water to climb below 65, that’s when I’ve noticed the big flush of baitfish out of the bays.  And also that’s when I usually notice the albies actually show up consistently. Secondly I wait for clean water……obvious.  Thirdly I stay put….rarely I’ll leave the spot I start at if I’m targeting albies.  So many time I see people leave and come back and while they’re gone the fish showed up.  Lastly I don’t use epoxy jigs.  They’re severely overrated.  They are good jigs and have a time and place but their castability compared to straight metals sucks because of weight/size ratio.  I remember a day last year there were a dozen guys slinging epoxys at albies that were breaking just out of casting range for them.  I was the only one who was launching a 2oz slender metal and was outcasting everyone else and I cleaned up…maybe saw 1 other landed. They just could not reach.  Epoxys being lighter than metals also causes them to rise to the top of the water faster on the burn which brings me to the bonus tip of….don’t always try and skip your metals off the top and LET THE JIG SINK to the bottom on blind casts.  If they’re on the surface and blitzing on bait you need not worry but if you’re scouting you should always let the jig sink.  I prefer Williamson Gokomu and Gomame jigs.  Also the Hogy sand eels have been my favorite for bonito recently.  As far as wind I’m still not sure what I like best because I’ve gotten them in all different wind scenarios, I guess I’ll say west is best because it allows a farther cast if you’re out front but that could be debated.  You can hone in your albie success but in the end it’s still fishing.  

Edited by Chrisfish1

Hit a jetty in Atlantic County Monday morning 4:30-7. End of the falling tide, targeting stripes. Water was FLAT!  Clarity was good and very little weed. 
Had a 5 minute run with 3 decent sized blues within 5 minutes, busting on small bait. 

2 hours ago, Chrisfish1 said:

I’m gona have to respectfully disagree with this.  There are ways to increase your catch chances and decrease your attempts towards success.  I used to be the guy who went 12 times and skunked but each time I learned something new.  Now I go and strike out maybe 2 or 3 times at most every year before I start catching. Sometimes I even catch on my first try! 

I always wait for the water to climb below 65, that’s when I’ve noticed the big flush of baitfish out of the bays.  And also that’s when I usually notice the albies actually show up consistently. Secondly I wait for clean water……obvious.  Thirdly I stay put….rarely I’ll leave the spot I start at if I’m targeting albies.  So many time I see people leave and come back and while they’re gone the fish showed up.  Lastly I don’t use epoxy jigs.  They’re severely overrated.  They are good jigs and have a time and place but their castability compared to straight metals sucks because of weight/size ratio.  I remember a day last year there were a dozen guys slinging epoxys at albies that were breaking just out of casting range for them.  I was the only one who was launching a 2oz slender metal and was outcasting everyone else and I cleaned up…maybe saw 1 other landed. They just could not reach.  Epoxys being lighter than metals also causes them to rise to the top of the water faster on the burn which brings me to the bonus tip of….don’t always try and skip your metals off the top and LET THE JIG SINK to the bottom on blind casts.  If they’re ok the surface and blitzing on bait you need not worry but if you’re scouting you should always let the jig sink.  I prefer Williamson Gokomu and Gomame jigs.  Also the Hogy sand eels have been my favorite for bonito recently.  As far as wind I’m still not sure what I like best because I’ve gotten them in all different wind scenarios, I guess I’ll say west is best because it allows a farther cast if you’re out front but that could be debated.  You can hone in your albie success but in the end it’s still fishing.  

Best albie lure ava 007 size 1 hook

42 mins ago, Goldy said:

Best albie lure ava 007 size 1 hook

put a Cabela's twisty tail on that............