UncleJohn

September 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

402 posts in this topic

Chasing albies is the most frustrating thing to do from land. 

best advice i can give is treat then as by catch. If they are in the area be ready. If not it can be a long day

Out front for fluke at sunrise. Managed two decent cocktail blues.1/2 OZ ball jig bucktail w/ teaser. Both tipped with gulp. Bith fish took the jig. Lots of cabbage on the rocks.

Lots of bait. Lots of talk of triggerfish. I know nothing about triggers.

19 mins ago, Goldy said:

best advice i can give is treat then as by catch. If they are in the area be ready. If not it can be a long day

Accurate.......

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Very true ,

I have taken both Albies and Bonito , never targeted one just species only maybe knowing one was in my area and the other was not from reports 

Is there a difference catching one or the other ? Presentation , tide , water temperature 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

I find the best way to do it is

1. wait until they’re thicker. There will always be a first guy hero but I never want to be that guy.

2. fish the early morning hours/first light for bass and keep a rod rigged for albies if they happen to pop up. This will happen less than 1% of the time. The time it happens will make all the annoying times worth it. 

as you said, strictly targeting albies from land is a fools game and a good way to get exhausted and your family pissed off while going 0/12

Edited by CLFish5

4 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

I find the best way to do it is

1. wait until they’re thicker. There will always be a first guy hero but I never want to be that guy.

2. fish the early morning hours/first light for bass and keep a rod rigged for albies if they happen to pop up. This will happen less than 1% of the time. The time it happens will make all the annoying times worth it. 

as you said, strictly targeting albies from land is a fools game and a good way to get exhausted and your family pissed off while going 0/12

100%.  The runs the last three years have been terrible.  Also, I will not take 500 blind casts for the hope of one albie if they are in the area.. I've seen it work, but i refuse to do it.  They haven't been thick since 2018, so the hope of catching them from land isn't easy..

Also, the last line in the most important.. You will piss your family off by chasing them.  I can tell you for a fact that is true. 

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

My approach exactly.

Fished this am outfront till the wind shift shut me down. Picked away with the jerk shads in white and sardine. Took 2 fluke home for the table. Heard of a 9lber off the sand in moco.

In my experience if the albies come within range of where you are they will come back a few times before quitting for the day. That said, they can be hard to catch.

Posted (edited)

Making a report! been a loooong time... Hit the jetty. midmorning til midday was busy but not too crazy. incoming as soon as tide swung the wind did its thing abundance of fishies around toned down the gear and hook sizes and started landing 6" sea bass, couple of short flatties. surprisingly. no yellow eyed demons cruising by. rolled a lil after noon, left them nibbling, good to get out and actually fish, battling thru one health issue after another. looking forward to hitting it hard this fall! ANYone else? well be safe and ,"sea ya's around!

Edited by DaveC
Too specific. Keep it general please. Thanks.

Hired snapper guide. Went 4-4 on little kastmaster for my son.   Nothing like getting mugged for snappers.  Very odd world we live in. 

also they should ban go pros. Why do you have go pros catching 12” fluke and snappers.  

Last several days no Skunk, just small fluke and junk fish…nothing to write home about.  Hoping this week’s weather will jump start the fall run.

Ocean County had not been to this beachfront in month. No water this morning beach flattened out. Couple small flat fish. 

saw flock of dozen pelicans that hung around as well as several adults loons diving. Kinda weird to have loons and pelicans around at same time. Loons usually don’t show till December but who knows. Osprey and dolphin to round it out. Made it an enjoyable morning 

So wrong to diss the albie run last year. I did really well on Albies last year, but from my Sea Doo fish pro. I know, they don't count. But usually each morning they were 400m from shore from point to seaside. And not to mention the nonstop Spanish in between blitzes.