UncleJohn

September 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

403 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

Spent past two evenings on a N/MC beach after dinner- beautiful evenings- west winds, 6 wgt fly rod, gentle ocean waves- water warm- bait, spearing, small peanuts abundant- nothing crazy- bunch of short fluke and sea robins.  Not many others out surprisingly. 

2 hours ago, Domer said:

First time out this morning In over a month—had a bout of COVID and some other issues. I’d never before missed the entire month of August since I’d started fishing as a kid.

Anyway, I was hoping to see some funny fish, but found some blues chasing bunker to the sand. Got a couple before they moved on.

D0E4DA3A-85E7-4B7B-8EF4-582895C1C4AA.jpeg

Nice, I was getting them on the fly too....bayside.

When I got to the sand this morning and felt the NNE wind I had high hopes.  Water looked very fishy with all that white froth.  Did find a few fish, 3 in the low 20 inch range, but there should have been a lot more activity with those conditions.  Forecast calls for it to swing more SE by morning but should still be looking good.

Kingfish have finally returned, millions of sand crabs in the wash, been using Fishbites sand crab flavor 

Caught a nice sized Spot in northern NJ (practically NY) on a flounder rig (not even gulp just soft plastic). Not as cool a September fish as a cobia, albie, or sheepshead but I will take what I can get.  :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, sinfish said:

Nice, I was getting them on the fly too....bayside.

Ok that must be a blast

Edited by Goldy

I always fish central OC beaches but went up to lower central MC Thursday morning to fish with a friend looking to learn how to fluke fish.  Fished at a jetty for the first time ever.

As we were fluking I saw fish busting out kind of far but maybe reachable.  Thought they may be albies, which I haven't caught before.  Put on a Williamson jig and let it rip.  Connect and am reeling in from a mile out.  Turns out to be the smallest fluke I've ever seen!  Guess I let the jig sink too much before burning it in.

Put back on my fluke rig and aimed at the edge of the rocks.  Think I cast it into its mouth.  Turned out to be a 20" fat fluke, biggest ever for me.  Had to go to work after that.  Good morning.

13 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Anyone awake , how the water today?

Water in Atlantic County was clean and calm. Still a little too warm, and not much white water. Lots of small bait with snappers on it. No stripes this morning 4-6:30. 

Conditions not as good as yesterday with the wind calming.  Couldn't find any life out there chalking up a skunk for today's effort.  Next shot for me will be Monday.

was out this morning in N/CO beach at predawn- beautiful day- ran into a unicorn striper while fluke fishing with 6 wgt- some short fluke also, no mullet seen, no blues encountered.  

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

Conditions not as good as yesterday with the wind calming.  Couldn't find any life out there chalking up a skunk for today's effort.  Next shot for me will be Monday.

In keeping with today's trends we will no longer refer to it as a skunk, as that is offensive to our furry friends. From now on it must be referred to as a non productive piscatorial excursion. Also, the term fish is not in keeping with PETAs Sea Kitten designation. Just a heads up.