surfcaster1

Which Van Staal With a Lami GSB1081M

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

For years a well known NE fishing magazine column writer recommended that a Lamiglas GSB1081M blank be paired with a VS200 reel. I always wanted to build a rod on this blank, but, feel that a VS 200 would not match with this blank- that the reel would be too big and heavy and out of balance with the blank. I see a VS150 as a much better match. I would appreciate the thoughts of builders who are experienced with building on this blank. My opinion is that the 150 would be the better way to go.

I would be fishing it mainly on South Shore Long Island open ocean beach front and inlets. 

What’s your opinion? A 150 or a 200 with this blank?

In my opinion, the rod doesn't determine the reel, or vice-versa.  Choose each based on what you need them to do.  In your case, if the smaller reel holds enough of the line you're going to use, has enough drag, etc. then its the correct reel.  If you need more line capacity, go with the bigger one.

You could use the 200 on that blank if you want but I would recommend the 150.

I use a 150 on my GSB 1081L’s and SSU 1081L and balances out these rods great   and the 150  is 11 ounces lighter then the 200.
For where you want to fish the GSB 1081M and a VS 150 is a good all around choice and should cover most situations.

9’ blank, I like a VS150L

Your opinion matters most as you will be fishing it. 

Posted (edited)

My personal opinion has always been that a VS200 on a Lamiglas GSB1081M, 1L or any damn 9 ft rod does not work well. The VS 200 is too heavy, too big and just takes the balance out of any 9 ft. rod set-up. It's like fishing that set-up with a Penn 704Z. The VS150 is a much better reel for a GSB1081M. (if you could even find that blank today). If I was targeting something large from the open beach it would not be with a 9 foot rod.

A VS200 is a much better reel for a Lami GSB1201L, GSB1201M or even a GSB1321M but, not with a 9 foot rod. 

Edited by surfcaster1
Added more information