bassmaster

Best braid for no wind knots

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I have had luck with maxcuattro when spooled correctly. The local tackle shop will spool it on and off a couple of times . 

I used max Quattro,  didnt have the problem, i used 20 lb , but that line would break to easy

When fire line came out way back i used that.

Im not runnin 1/4 down on my spool to get rid of this.

Its only with needles,  the way  i fish them, i kick ass on needles so

I think i will try the 40 lb super as i have it on my gosa and my stella.

Would like to go back to fire line but think its not the same.

I remember replacing original fireline when it was so down on spool , that line lasted for ever. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have had luck with maxcuattro when spooled correctly. The local tackle shop will spool it on and off a couple of times . 

spooled correctly

there is no help with spooled correctly.

after 1 cast the line is coming loose back to spool.

spooled correctly is only for first cast.

only one solution,spool 1/4" below lip and cast,when the lure hit water close bail sweep the rod to left or right till you feel the lure and reel in.you can do that even with 1/4 oz jig..

when you close bail and not sweep to feel the lure,1 or 2 turns braid wine around knob on the spool then jump in the spool.when you cast it can grab the loose line from top spool any time first 10' or 100' later..

the knob on every spining reel spool is not made properly.

the knob should be seated below top spool and flush,this way it has no chance to grab the line.

thanks god we have ingeneers to desighn the reels,they only desighn properly high profit not the reel.

Edited by snag777

This just boils down to need a stiff line.

Put tus post up to see what line people swapped out to.

Not changing how i fish needles fir nothin

I offer 50 bucks to buy your defective stella to end your wind knot issue. 

You had no issue with bailess reel because there is no bail wire to trap loose lines.  After casting,  give the line a tug to make sure the line is fully seated inside the spool, not wrapped halfway on the drag knob before reeling.

Can I have my free plug now?

I don’t have a lot of experience with different braids. Been fishing standard 15lb power pro for a long time. I agree with others.  Wind knots are caused when using light lures and chucking them typically against the wind. If the line has twist in it there is bettter chance. 
After I cast I manually flip the bail and put my fingers on the line before the reel to create tension for the first couple of cranks. If the spool is overfilled you will get more knots. 
I still occasionally get wind knots but typically in the dark when I can’t monitor the spool well. 

I use sufix, never had an issue with wind knots on a spinning reel with it (assuming you spooled it correctly without twisting it).

I use 15lb on a fluke setup, and 40lb on a striper setup. No issues with wind knots on either.

Put on some 40lb super slick on a vsx2 150

No wind knots werkin needles

Spare spools fir both vs 150 and 250 got the same line

Will see how it goes when i take them out 

I know all the tricks with braid, just cant be pinch line with needles as i need to feel the lure, there magic in my hands....

On 9/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, hobobob said:

I offer 50 bucks to buy your defective stella to end your wind knot issue. 

Why are you giving him so much money for a beat up Stella?

On 9/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, bassmaster said:

This just boils down to need a stiff line.

Put tus post up to see what line people swapped out to.

Not changing how i fish needles fir nothin

l feel your pain, l know what you're talking about been down that road, when you start finessing a plug that wasn't meant to be fished that way and using a lighter line you will have head acks it's even more fun at night.

l like you run a full spool at the most only 1/8 under spool lip, my VS reels are not X model put the hump when putting on new line and you should be fine, l have been lucky with PP line for many years.

20210106_184546.jpg.7de358f344c781690dd9390f1fc5eda4.jpg

And this old reel that won't quit it's almost 20 years old with some of my mods to it. Line to the brim or not at all.

6315ff77cfa44_20210304_163731(1).jpg.948ab38a9eafed4879f25b2e58addd50.jpg

You did right by jumping up from 30 to 40# lest l carry a spear spool for every reel l fish in the armrest of my SUV spear VS100 - 150 - even for the Prodigy ready to go if l start having problems.

Just now, LB said:

l feel your pain, l know what you're talking about been down that road, when you start finessing a plug that wasn't meant to be fished that way and using a lighter line you will have head acks it's even more fun at night.

l like you run a full spool at the most only 1/8 under spool lip, my VS reels are not X model put the hump when putting on new line and you should be fine, l have been lucky with PP line for many years.

20210106_184546.jpg.7de358f344c781690dd9390f1fc5eda4.jpg

And this old reel that won't quit it's almost 20 years old with some of my mods to it. Line to the brim or not at all.

6315ff77cfa44_20210304_163731(1).jpg.948ab38a9eafed4879f25b2e58addd50.jpg

You did right by jumping up from 30 to 40# lest l carry a spear spool for every reel l fish in the armrest of my SUV spear VS100 - 150 - even for the Prodigy ready to go if l start having problems.

Yerp, its mainly with needles, you guys know i fish these and how i am with them,   its all feel .

And with metal lips.

I almost put fire line on yesterday. 

Walked into lee,s and had my 2 spools with 40 v2 and seen that lefty and bought it , still having a paid for 201 coming also. 

Anyway,   i like pp 40 and guess it dont like me.

I meen do 3 casts then launch and reel fast to tighten.  The pinch also on casts and line pull, aint my 1st rodeo. 

My stella is mint and i use it once in a while and that reel likes v2,  i just run 40 on all now.

My gosa had it also, not a problem at all.    What a great reel, honestly thats all ya need .

Mine has been dunked, and tossed in a corner. 

But honestly vs is the way to go, was under water with my 250 on a bar last Saturday. 

So when i try my fresh spools on the vs 150 and 250 will see.

Im trying to stay with one line,   i have to many reels to keep track.