luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2022

Rate this topic

202 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

According to the Ranger I just spoke with at Tom's cove, I asked how close could I take my boat to the shore line around the hook area and if this also applies to commercial fisherman and she said "All motorized boats have to be outside the NPS boundaries which are 1/2 mile"

So they have to be 1/2 mile from shore at Assateague, regardless off it’s MD or VA?

I had no idea the NPS had that restriction. 

They can try and say all they want. In the formation documents the boundaries are defined as the low tide line on the md side and high tide line on va. side. The boundaries the park is claiming was disputed by both md and va in the last proposed GMP. 

40 mins ago, Eduardo Kang said:

So they have to be 1/2 mile from shore at Assateague, regardless off it’s MD or VA?

I had no idea the NPS had that restriction. 

According to the Fish and wildlife, the Assateague NPS headquarters is in Berlin and that is who manages it, getting them to enforce it is a whole nother issue. The VA side is a lot of locals that ignore the issue but if the headquarters keeps getting complaints they will have no choice but to get involved. When they block the fish highway there is a noticeable decrease in what comes down the beach. Notice they don't try this in front of Wallops 

20 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Golleee those spot are gigantic

Whenever I see them netting close to the beach I'm told they are after the large spot. Funny thing is that I almost never catch them! 

15 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

According to the Fish and wildlife, the Assateague NPS headquarters is in Berlin and that is who manages it, getting them to enforce it is a whole nother issue. The VA side is a lot of locals that ignore the issue but if the headquarters keeps getting complaints they will have no choice but to get involved. When they block the fish highway there is a noticeable decrease in what comes down the beach. Notice they don't try this in front of Wallops 

It's a real crime because it really handcuffs the surf fishermen big time. Some years I have gone to the tip to avoid the netter, but that only worked out well one year when the pups were thick in the inlet and they came out looking for a quick bite to eat in the slew close to the beach. 

Posted (edited)

Are they killing drum / redfish illegally? 

If so, **** them....  not much more to say other than Virginia resources officers or those that are choosing to ignore this are part of the problem as well.

Derrick, if you talk to them, relay my message, if they have an issue, id be happy to explain... Just the fact you know them pisses me off.

Edited by luckyOC

17 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

Notice they don't try this in front of Wallops 

That's a hell of a point. 

8 hours ago, luckyOC said:

Are they killing drum / redfish illegally? 

If so, **** them....  not much more to say other than Virginia resources officers or those that are choosing to ignore this are part of the problem as well.

Derrick, if you talk to them, relay my message, if they have an issue, id be happy to explain... Just the fact you know them pisses me off.

It's not the guy in the picture. 

I know 1 commercial guy because my sister works in his restaurant.

I know where he goes or atleast i thought i did, I don't think he sets up out front there and I've never seen him with illegal fish or big red fish.  

With that said, there is a reason most of us fish where we do down there.  2 years ago my dad mapped the bottom out there when he got into bulls one day on the boat. The way they set their nets up its basically funneling the fish right into their nets because of the way the sea floor is.  There is actually a ton of structure in that area.

So that means everything that is gonna come up the beach is going to hit nets first and not make it up the beach.

It's the exact reason in the spring it's a full on race when the park opens at 5 to get to the closure line.

Everyone knows everybody on that island, i have family there from my dads side, lives across from Chris’s relatives.  :wee:

in the pics i don't see any bulls, but we all know this time of year they are eating what he is catching, if they are not illegally killing bycatch, they seem to be pushing the laws every way they can, its just hard to comprehend. 

1 min ago, luckyOC said:

Everyone knows everybody on that island, i have family there from my dads side, lives across from Chris’s relatives.  :wee:

in the pics i don't see any bulls, but we all know this time of year they are eating what he is catching, if they are not illegally killing bycatch, they seem to be pushing the laws every way they can, its just hard to comprehend. 

Yeah you won't convince me they don't snag up gamefish in those nets....

If omega nets up reds/cobia/bass in the bay chasing bunker - how can any other netters avoid those fish? 

Posted (edited)

I have seen some of the by-catch pictures from the hook netters! Reds, black drum, rock, sturgeon, thresher, great whites,and all other sharks

Edited by MDsurffishing

7 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

I have seen some of the by-catch pictures from the hook netters! Reds, black drum, rock, sturgeon, thresher, great whites, and all other sharks

You'd think that "the man" would have also witnessed this?  Maybe six or so years ago I was fishing half way to the hook and spotted what appeared to be an enforcement craft perhaps a mile or so offshore monitoring the shoreline with binoculars, presumably to notify colleagues of suspicious activity.

Anyone else ever pull out their binoculars while waiting for a bite and check out the boats?

8 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

I have seen some of the by-catch pictures from the hook netters! Reds, black drum, rock, sturgeon, thresher, great whites,and all other sharks

100% fact.

Everything goes into those nets.

47 mins ago, Fishhead7 said:

You'd think that "the man" would have also witnessed this?  Maybe six or so years ago I was fishing half way to the hook and spotted what appeared to be an enforcement craft perhaps a mile or so offshore monitoring the shoreline with binoculars, presumably to notify colleagues of suspicious activity.

Anyone else ever pull out their binoculars while waiting for a bite and check out the boats?

Yes.  I've seen the CG and VA Marine Patrol

9 hours ago, luckyOC said:

It comes down to they are trying to make a living and will do what it takes.

Yeah i get the making a living thing… killing bycatch or destroying resources to make a living can be compared to other groups saying the same, doesn’t mean its the right thing to do.

back to fishing, swells are up, high tide was at 630am and 630pm is the next… praying for 20-30kt NW to blow it down today… not closed yet, any live reports of the osv conditions?  Knock on wood