luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2022

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

guess its still closed, i don't follow twatter..... fb hasnt updated from what Ive seen today....

forecast shows the swells are gone, not sure about NPS and their polices...

Capture.JPG.d43de06e6329f2a769c4843a3ff64cfd.JPG

Edited by luckyOC

1 hour ago, BLilly said:

Any idea how the beach on the VA side fared with the storm/tides?

Also is the OSV even open? They are terrible about keeping the Twitter page updated on the status of the OSV. 

My sister was out yesterday and walked north from lot 1.  Water was still up to the dunes.  

The Twitter page is hardly ever updated anymore.  I asked in at Tom's Cove and they told me the FB page and Twitter page are handled by Maryland.  I dont think that is true.

But if that's the case I'm not sure why they don't just have 1 page on 1 platform for both sides

FB_IMG_1663192698040.jpg

FB_IMG_1663192712475.jpg

Posted (edited)

10 mins ago, DerrickT said:

My sister was out yesterday and walked north from lot 1.  Water was still up to the dunes.  

The Twitter page is hardly ever updated anymore.  I asked in at Tom's Cove and they told me the FB page and Twitter page are handled by Maryland.  I dont think that is true.

But if that's the case I'm not sure why they don't just have 1 page on 1 platform for both sides

Thanks for the update...Those pics don't look great. Hopefully we get a decent amount of beach buildup between now and when I'm down in 3 weeks, unlikely but one can hope.

So that's our problem with the Twitter page....no one knows who's in charge of it. A number of years ago I was told that it was one of the people who does the OSV permitting at Tom's Cove.....

Edited by BLilly

26 mins ago, BLilly said:

Thanks for the update...Those pics don't look great. Hopefully we get a decent amount of beach buildup between now and when I'm down in 3 weeks, unlikely but one can hope.

So that's our problem with the Twitter page....no one knows who's in charge of it. A number of years ago I was told that it was one of the people who does the OSV permitting at Tom's Cove.....

I think its been updated once this year.

Someone posted on FB yesterday that there wasn't any signs up at the entrance but you could clearly see the ocean was hitting the bay so common sense would tell you not to go out.  Also been told that the new director is trying to leave the beach open as much as possible so I don't know if that's part of it.  To me that's a big risk not putting a sign up and closing it.  I mean it's not like idiots stay clear of the osv.

I had hopes of getting down there a few times the next few weeks but once again we are way to busy at work and it's not gonna happen.

I'm surprised that they aren't putting signs up given the ocean is going to the bay.

we had been thinking of trying to head down next weekend for a long weekend and wet a line, but given the state of things I'll think I'll head out of WV and go climbing instead....

I contacted them July 6th this year when the last post was from January, the Ranger said she didn't know who updated the twitter account. I explained it was what a lot of people relied on to make sure we didn't drive hours to see a closed OSV since there is no other source besides calling the ranger station every time someone want to plan a trip, after that there was a post July 8th showing the status. The VA side has always been lackadaisical about most issues. One of the main issues being the entire hook having netters 20 feet off the beach making it unfishable, try that in the OBX. I'm heading down tomorrow night and hopefully there will be some beach left to park on. Tomorrow they will be doing aerial spraying to try and control the Phragmites and the park will be completely closed in the morning but depending on the weather, it is possible that the aerial spraying could push into one of the subsequent days September 16,17, or 18.

2 mins ago, MDsurffishing said:

I contacted them July 6th this year when the last post was from January, the Ranger said she didn't know who updated the twitter account. I explained it was what a lot of people relied on to make sure we didn't drive hours to see a closed OSV since there is no other source besides calling the ranger station every time someone want to plan a trip, after that there was a post July 8th showing the status. The VA side has always been lackadaisical about most issues. One of the main issues being the entire hook having netters 20 feet off the beach making it unfishable, try that in the OBX. I'm heading down tomorrow night and hopefully there will be some beach left to park on. Tomorrow they will be doing aerial spraying to try and control the Phragmites and the park will be completely closed in the morning but depending on the weather, it is possible that the aerial spraying could push into one of the subsequent days September 16,17, or 18.

If the weather conditions aren't right tomorrow for doing the spraying they could postpone it to Friday (I seriously doubt that they would do it on the weekend). I would definitely call them tomorrow before heading down to make sure that the spraying happened.

Also MDSurfFishing- let us know how the beach looks when you get out there. Hopefully you can find a dry spot to park`

1 min ago, BLilly said:

If the weather conditions aren't right tomorrow for doing the spraying they could postpone it to Friday (I seriously doubt that they would do it on the weekend). I would definitely call them tomorrow before heading down to make sure that the spraying happened.

I will, I'm also going to ask about the overwash, tide levels are going down but if too much of the beach has been washed into the back bay it might be more like next week to be drivable around high tide. 2 years ago we were in that spot and as the tide came in we were completely surrounded by water and had @ 200yds of dry land for 2 hours completely cut off. When the tide comes in on that spot it overwashes quickly. We watched everyone run for the parking lot driving through a foot of water and we stayed put

11 mins ago, BLilly said:

Also MDSurfFishing- let us know how the beach looks when you get out there. Hopefully you can find a dry spot to park`

will do, I'll get some pictures if I go. Hopefully some large fish will show up!

1 min ago, MDsurffishing said:

I will, I'm also going to ask about the overwash, tide levels are going down but if too much of the beach has been washed into the back bay it might be more like next week to be drivable around high tide. 2 years ago we were in that spot and as the tide came in we were completely surrounded by water and had @ 200yds of dry land for 2 hours completely cut off. When the tide comes in on that spot it overwashes quickly. We watched everyone run for the parking lot driving through a foot of water and we stayed put

Yeah we've had similar experiences with that spot....we just find a dry spot to park the truck and get the rods back out and fish until things are passible again. 

1 hour ago, MDsurffishing said:

I think it was 2 years ago, or maybe 3.  Beach got real skinny from the cg station up to the entrance at high tide.  Ended up getting stuck down on the hook till the tide went back out.  That whole fall was bad for fishing the top section at high tide.  Most days you couldn't even get out the entrance for about 4 hours.

I have thought about this idea for years if we lost the OSV,  looking like I might have to find some pontoons here soon for the truck camper.

tcboat.jpg