luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2022

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

58 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

To reply and admit that shows good character.   Good on you.  See me on the sand stop and wet a line and have a cold one.  The dogs are friendly.

What do you drive? I have a grey '21 Taco

In the rain Sunday. Outgoing.   Was only 4 other truck on the beach.  Everyone sitting inside watching the crabs eat the bait.  Was hoping for albies but managed a few snappers and one weakfish.  All on a Tinman squid and shad dart teaser.

I drove to AI this morning to check it out. Rough surf, pushing water up to the stakes by the entrance to OSV. No way to safely get past the drive on.

I parked at the South Beach parking, and walked over a couple of hours before high tide. Then walked up to the OSV entrance.  

I fear we may lose access, depending on how this settles out.

20220912_084811.jpg

20220912_084754.jpg

20220912_084151.jpg

20220912_083141.jpg

20220912_083955.mp4

The ranger had to stop at the foot of the dune, at the entrance. Soft, saturated sand is like quicksand. 

Pretty good guy, we talked for a while.

20220912_083336.jpg

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

That doesn't look much better than it did on Wednesday/Thursday. Hope it sorts itself out before October. 

The ranger said it was the longest he could remember it being this high.

Who knows what it looks like down the beach towards the state line where the beach was thin already.

Jeez, might need the beach cart if it stays closed.  Sure hope not.  Been wondering what the deal was with the beach and overwash.  Hope it gets better as we move away from last full moon and assuming no offshore hurricans.  

14 hours ago, spinr0k said:

Time to break out the Sherp!

Get that stuck, and you are on your own. Nobody can come to pull you out.

20 hours ago, dena said:

The ranger had to stop at the foot of the dune, at the entrance. Soft, saturated sand is like quicksand. 

Pretty good guy, we talked for a while.

20220912_083336.jpg

When the ranger pulled out, he was spinning tires, and sinking in. The sand is saturated from underneath, and is like quicksand once you break through the packed top layer of sand.

20 hours ago, d-man said:

Jeez, might need the beach cart if it stays closed.  Sure hope not.  Been wondering what the deal was with the beach and overwash.  Hope it gets better as we move away from last full moon and assuming no offshore hurricans.  

And I just sold my cart!! 2nd time this week my wife told me selling it was a bad idea

The NPS is loving all that additional revenue coming from all those OSV permits sold these past few years.

Maybe that will sway them to move the winter boundary markers to keep the OSV open?

That backroad is history... literally. 

Any idea how the beach on the VA side fared with the storm/tides?

Also is the OSV even open? They are terrible about keeping the Twitter page updated on the status of the OSV. 

23 mins ago, BLilly said:

Any idea how the beach on the VA side fared with the storm/tides?

Also is the OSV even open? They are terrible about keeping the Twitter page updated on the status of the OSV. 

OSV Count (https://osvcount.com) says still closed