plinker

KR concept on a #186 11'-2" Talon blank

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I built a 3-guide reduction to 3 belly and 5 runners on an 11'-2" Talon carbon blank. I used KR concept GPS software to lay out the reduction starting with size 20 stripper, the rest was tape and test. The bellies, runners and tip are 5mm. The rod specs are MF / 10-20 / 1/2 to 1-1/2 / 5.50oz. The guides are Fuji SiC/CC Gunmetal.

The final weight is 7.75oz. The rod casts really well with a 3500 Spinfisher or VR50 and 22" butt. I was pretty worried about this build as KR & micro is not something I have personally seen up close on a light surf rod, but it seems ok.

My photography skills are poor, sorry.

1.jpg

2.jpg

They KR setup definitely works and certainly can be used more than just freshwater spinning rods. I have done it on the 9' evolution which is rate for heavier lure than your Talon and it is very cool. Certainly worth considering if the application warrants it 

I'll build another KR for an 11ish 3/8 - 3/4oz rod just for tossing 5/8oz Calissa/LC minnows. I'm very pleased with the ease with which my first KR rod throws very light lures. The next one's for a 2500 spinfisher, so maybe a size 16 stripper and 4.5 belly/running/tip.

Maybe I'll try a 4 guide reduction this time since the rod is whippier, but I tried setting up a 4 reduction on the last rod starting with #20 and was not happy with the layout, so I stuck with 3.

On 2022/09/09 at 3:49 PM, plinker said:

I tried setting up a 4 reduction on the last rod starting with #20 and was not happy with the layout, so I stuck with 3

Whatt set up did you try?

20H 10H 7M 6Lworks nicely.

The maddest single-foot KR layout I have done was on a  13'6" that will throw 5oz + bait easily.

Go double foot and KR will do anything you can think of; 14'6 for 7-8oz and bait is a non-issue.

I was dicking around with 20H 10H 7M 5.5L and 20H 10H 6L 5.5L which I had seen referenced at anglers resource. Your reduction is also there, I simply did not try it. My mistake, but I will try it on next build.

Thank you!