Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, reel gambler said:

I swear there’s more mung, eel grass etc this year than in awhile. Drought? Habitat destruction? Thoughts?

Not a drought obvious, saltwater levels haven't been affect, so that's not it.

Look around at all the trees? Some are losing leaves, changing color all do to lack of rain, wind, extreme heat.

Same holds true below the water line. Elevated sea temperatures, extreme tides, currents, and wave constantly moving and up-rooting the grass creating lots of stress grass.   

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Looking back at last year the weed was also a factor but nowhere as much as this year, at least from the beach. One very different thing that I noticed was we had many NE blows and several hurricane effected seas and associated weather systems. This year ZERO.  Big storms clean out some weed that hangs on the beach. Several of my go to spots have been so dirty I haven’t been able to fish them. Not wishing for a hurricane here but we need to churn things up a bit. 

^^Ditto on lack of NE blows this season. Its affected how much I fish certain spots that are better on easterly winds. 

Eel grass was a pain a couple of nights ago. There were clear areas but had to spend too much time finding them. 

Don't know about where you are but the amount of eel grass we have in artificially low because of boat moorings. The way they are there's a chain that wanders about with the tide and currents that prevents eel grass from taking root. To help eel grass return, in some towns in Maine they are offering free mooring replacements with a new type of mooring that doesn't have a chain sloshing around on the bottom.

Even without those government programs, we're going to be seeing more and more new moorings done in this this way. 

https://www.maine.gov/dmr/shellfish-sanitation-management/documents/eelgrassmoorings.pdf

I would suspect Massachusetts may have similar initiatives, but if not, then surely a lot of people installing new ones will go for the eel grass mooring anyway.

It'll mean more places will be difficult to fish but overall it'll be great for the ecosystem. A lot more cover and structure for bait fish to hide from birds and attach eggs to that don't get washed out to the see only to wind up in some filter feeder's mouth. It's a major annoyance but should be welcomed in my opinion.

There will probably be no more boats anyway soon. Once they require all electric motors on them too.

1 hour ago, turkaholic said:

There will probably be no more boats anyway soon. Once they require all electric motors on them too.

Solar powered, on sunny days only. :shaky:

I don't know if there is more grass and weed being produced but last week on Friday one area I fished was filled with weed and grass. The wind was blowing hard toward shore. It was also a great albie and big bluefish day. Of course I missed the best part of the bite since it was two hours before I got there. Only managed one big blue. A storm passed Friday night and the wind shifted to completely away from the shore taking the weed and fish with it. Water was perfectly clean. 

So I think it is more a function which way the wind is blowing and for how long. 

Obviously you need to know more to really find the root cause but I think wind has a lot to do with it. Location also make a difference.  Is it easy for the grass and weed to leave? If it's a cove or cut it's harder for the tide and wind to get the weed out.