Wizumz

WTB: 8wt+ Two Hander

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking for a used, low cost, two hand spey rod. Preferably a fast action one like an Echo Beach Salt in 8wt+.

Edited by Wizumz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a TFO Deer Creek 13.6 8/9 with cork still on handle; never used it. $250 plus shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wiz - the kind of rod I'd use for this (dual purpose salt, fresh) would be something like the TFO Pandion 8wt.  It's slightly shorter than the Deer Creek 8/9 (13'3" vs. 13'6") but can still do both things reasonably well.  

 

In reality there is no such thing as a rod designed to do both spey and overhead.  All rods are compromises one way or another.  The Pandion is a compromised rod that can sort of handle both applications.  YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Killiefish said:

Wiz - the kind of rod I'd use for this (dual purpose salt, fresh) would be something like the TFO Pandion 8wt.  It's slightly shorter than the Deer Creek 8/9 (13'3" vs. 13'6") but can still do both things reasonably well.  

 

In reality there is no such thing as a rod designed to do both spey and overhead.  All rods are compromises one way or another.  The Pandion is a compromised rod that can sort of handle both applications.  YMMV.

There certainly is no do-it-all rod, I just need a very fast action two handed rod. I rarely fish rivers and have a specific need for a 2Hander in the salt, finding the “perfect” rod for both is inconsequential. I’ll take a look at the TFO pandion, thanks!

Edited by Wizumz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dpt said:

I have a TFO Deer Creek 13.6 8/9 with cork still on handle; never used it. $250 plus shipping.

I’ll respectfully pass for the moment… see what else is out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the Douglas lrs 10 ft 8wt I have it . I cast Skagit, two hand and single hand overhead with it  comes with two interchangable butts l8102

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Wizumz said:

There certainly is no do-it-all rod, I just need a very fast action two handed rod. I rarely fish rivers and have a specific need for a 2Hander in the salt, finding the “perfect” rod for both is inconsequential. I’ll take a look at the TFO pandion, thanks!

what fish you target ?

what shooting head are you going to use 300 grain,900 grain. ?

what fly,how long cast you need ?

what fishing condition ?

check out tred  build 2handed rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Wizumz said:

There certainly is no do-it-all rod, I just need a very fast action two handed rod. I rarely fish rivers and have a specific need for a 2Hander in the salt, finding the “perfect” rod for both is inconsequential. I’ll take a look at the TFO pandion, thanks!

But is that a 10' or a 14' rod, or something in  between?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wiz, I have a Pandion 8wt that I cut from the tip to 12ft, installed ceramic tip and guides. At 13ft 3in it was way too soft for OH, now it casts 500-525gr very well. I just don't use it at all. The cork could pass for new, rod is very clean. $175 shipped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.