PAKings

Daiwa Ballistic 35-405 build - needs help

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Is the slow rate at which the spool empties and the amount of spool lip it exposes really that dominant a factor that nothing else really matters by comparison?

It makes a hell of a difference.

OP's Saragosa 6000 is not a big reel at all, about the same size as a BG4000.

A Saragosa 10000 is about the same as a BG5000,

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

It makes a hell of a difference.

OP's Saragosa 6000 is not a big reel at all, about the same size as a BG4000.

A Saragosa 10000 is about the same as a BG5000,

OK, now it makes more sense.  Thanks for clarifying :th:

I tried the new layout that ZAfisher recommended and got an extra 5-10 yards with every other input being constant.  When I tried with 50lbs braid with daiwa BG5000, there is definitely no more line slapping onto the rod blank like it did before, but the line seems to come off too fast and seems to bunch up waiting to go through the stripper guide.   I guess that is normal? Or is the striper guide too close?

Posted (edited)

On 8/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, ZAFisher said:

Try this for a layout to tape up. It should work with a bigger reel too ie a 10k or perhaps a 14 Saragosa. Your 6k will empty quickly

But you will need to work on technique.

Start with John Holden's Easy cast or the other variations thereof ie Brighton cast.

Slow down. Really slow down

2022-08-29 (1).png

ZA - I am building the TBNA33-405 - rated 2 to 10oz as a travel rod for trip to Mexico over the winter - I am using same KR guides with stripper of 40mm size and an Ultegra XSC 10000.  Suggested layout?  Stripper will be low as possible on the middle section.

Iwill also will be using a Shimano sliding reel seat, since I am 6ft and my girlfriend is 5ft 5in.

Not sure about her, but for me, the back edge of the hood of the reel seat will be positioned 32 inches from the butt.

My Planned Guide Train is  40mm,30mm,25mm,16mm and 5x10mm.

My standard 30lb PP spliced to 60lb PP hollow ace as I never intend to throw more than a 5oz storm or sputnick on an OTG Clip Down rig, and will mostly use it for Rooster Plugging in Mexico (2-3oz Metal and Poppers).

Edited by FlatWing
Additional Information

19 hours ago, FlatWing said:

My Planned Guide Train is  40mm,30mm,25mm,16mm and 5x10mm

for KW's

40L 25 20 16 (or 12) then your 10's

The high KW40 is hateful when traveling, I will get broken and honestly I think its performance is worse than the 40L; its beeeeeg legs really do get in the way of the line.

or use a KW30 (the high one, not the KW30L) then 25 20 16 (or 12) then your 10's

If you want an awesome larger dia stripper, the RV40L is the one to go for (Titanium only, unfortunately)

On 2022/09/24 at 6:16 AM, PAKings said:

I tried the new layout that ZAfisher recommended and got an extra 5-10 yards with every other input being constant.  When I tried with 50lbs braid with daiwa BG5000, there is definitely no more line slapping onto the rod blank like it did before, but the line seems to come off too fast and seems to bunch up waiting to go through the stripper guide.   I guess that is normal? Or is the striper guide too close?

Push the stripper out (leave everything else as is for now) Try 50mm further and see if it helps.

On 2022/09/24 at 0:36 PM, FlatWing said:

ZA - I am building the TBNA33-405 - rated 2 to 10oz as a travel rod for trip to Mexico over the winter - I am using same KR guides with stripper of 40mm size and an Ultegra XSC 10000.  Suggested layout?  Stripper will be low as possible on the middle section.

I just read this again; when you say "same KR Guides" do you mean as in the layout I posted ie RV25H RV16, but you substituted a RV40 for the RV25H or did you mean K Series ie KW guides?

Hi

You could try the Fuji recommendations to start with although the reel to first guide distances are a bit short if you want to cast further (1.5m+) works well). Note the numbers of guides they recommend too! 

Tim

17_casting-rod.pdf

Posted (edited)

On 2022/10/21 at 9:31 AM, Tim Allard said:

You could try the Fuji recommendations to start with although the reel to first guide distances are a bit short if you want to cast further (1.5m+) works well). Note the numbers of guides they recommend too! 

1.5m is way, way too far out from the spool, esp with a high reel set up, even more so if you are retrieving lures, it will be hateful.

Just don't

Or tape it up like this and try, and prove it to yourself it is too far.

Edited by ZAFisher

Hi ZA

Hateful? If you mean line slap then just shorten the distance until it stops. 

Cheers

Tim

Did I read correctly. 30 lb with 6 turns around the spool. This would indicate that the 30 is a shock leader. If I read correctly then if you want to be safe think around with mono shock leaders at least 10 lbs of Braking strain per ounze of lead you are casting. 5.6 Oz  is 60 lbs shock minimum. You can buy ready made tapered ones. Google up Varivas  tapered shock leaders. They make connection way easier to your running line to.

If you want to go braided shock leader then go much stronger due to low stretch. 

A measured cast of 135 yards is an excellent cast even if only the lead is being cast. Especially as you say you used a std overhead cast. With the Allbrighton or SA cast with a decent finger stall to protect your casting finger and good practice you may get up to 150 yards from a sandy beach with a small worm bait clipped down. Google up bait clips for beach casting in the U.K. if you are unfamiliar with these things. 
A conventional reel is easier to use to get  long casts and kinder to your fingers.

Have to inform that it is generally accepted in the UK that to be able to cast 150  

yards on a beach with a clipped down small worm bait that over grass you need to be a 200 yard guy. 

The very best guide layout may add around 3 to 5% to a cast. So don’t get too hung up on the that side of the equation. As ZA is saying right size spool diameter is very important too small and line friction over the lip will destroy your cast.

mikey.

Retired Beach Caster.