RH37

Switch rod for single hand casting in surf?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I’m looking for a 10’ - 10’6” single hand rod to replace a 10’6” Ken Abrames Salmo Saxatilis #1. I recently broke the tip section on the SS#1.

When the surf is small I use a 9’ 9wt fast action rod. The SS 10’6” was an ideal length for mending in the surf when the waves get to be bigger than about 2 feet. I have a 12’6” LOOP GASS 9/10wt double hand Medium-Fast rod for when the wind and surf are really gnarly, but it’s a beast and probably overkill until full Mike Oliver conditions.

Can’t find a 10’ - 10’6” single hand 9 or 10 wt rod. All the 10 footers are nymphing rods 8wt or lighter.

The only rods I can find in the 10’ – 11’ length are switch rods. This one looks promising – Beulah G2 Platinum Switch 10’8” 8/9wt Medium action. I would use it in the ocean surf primarily for single handed casting, and occasionally double handed overhead casting.

Any thoughts on the Beulah G2 Platinum Switch rod for single handed casting in the surf? Or on switch rods in general for single hand casting in the surf?

Thanks for any feedback.

The original term for a switch rod was coined for a rod that could be overhead cast or cast spey but in both cases using two hands. Somewhere along the way marketing got involved and indicated you could single hand a switch rod. My switch rods I would not use single handed. Now the Abrames rods were a different animal as the weighted fighting butt did allow you to single hand them or with the extended butt two hand cast. Did you consider trying to find another one?

Posted (edited)

Hi RH,

I've built and fished a lot of 10'6" - 12'3" Switch rods on CTS blanks.

Switch rods were not designed for S?H casting.

They were designed for either Overhead or Spey casting.

CTS has a lot of 10' blanks designed for S/H use.

Get in touch with slip-n-slide on SOL.

Of course, you'd have to build it or have it built

Herb

PS JEFFSOD beat me to the punch.

Edited by HL

28 mins ago, RH37 said:

Can’t find a 10’ - 10’6” single hand 9 or 10 wt rod. All the 10 footers are nymphing rods 8wt or lighter.

Have you reached out to Saltwater Edge?

Steve Culton 

Posted (edited)

Yes I checked with Saltwater Edge in Rhode Island where I bought my Abrames rod and who seemed to be the principal distributor, but they're out of stock and they didn't have any left over tip sections either.

Peter at SWE also agreed that no one was making a similar longer rod currently.

Edited by RH37
added more info

43 mins ago, JEFFSOD said:

Somewhere along the way marketing got involved and indicated you could single hand a switch rod. My switch rods I would not use single handed.

Yes the Beulah PR info for the G2 Platinum Switch rods says you can one hand it: "Able to cast a variety of lines, overhead or under handed with one or two hands, these fly rods excel in many fishing situations."

Anyone out there have any success casting a switch rod one-handed?

RH37

I own a Sage Switch rod and I have cast some of the Beulah’s. It is true you can cast in fact any fly rod at any length with one hand. The question is for how long. 
Any rod 10’ to 10 6” rated for a single hand line 9 or a 10 wt is going to place a lot of torque on both your wrist and forearm. A switch rod of same power is going to have a handle design that is not well suited to single hand casting.

I can’t think of a worse rod than a switch rod to do what you need. They are more geared to spey casting and are slower than a fast action single hand rod.

The best solution for your needs I believe Herb can provide by getting you a custom blank and rod made.

Even the best solution is going to leave you with a rod that will present physical problems. It depends on how long your fishing sessions are. As you near the end of your tolerance it is more than likely that your casting form will start to suffer.  More wrist movement, tracking and straight line rod path. These all add to poor loops.

If you are a very strong individual then this advise may not be applicable.

I have cast the KA rod and found it heavy and pretty lifeless. Sorry if this upsets his disciples. If you are happy with this rods performance then a modern light weight blank of the type Herb could provide you with your solution. It would be a game changer.

If you stay with the switch rod route it is important to know if the line rating given to the rod is single hand or Spey.

Personally I am very wary of claiming made by staff of rod companies especially when it comes to switch rods, The guys above have already explained the true reason for their design and single handed casting is not one of them. I wonder what people would say if I recommenced that my 6 foot 2 wt was perfect for single and double hand. BS has a place of prominence that is way higher than it deserves in the world of fishing tackle.

There are other solutions to effective line mending over surf but that means going to a light TH and yes a good spey rod or one of the Beulahs In 11 feet would work well and allow for longer sessions. But you don’t want to go that way.

I really hope you can sort this first time of asking.

Mike

On days when I feel like casting my Beulah one handed I enjoy the distance and the load of the rod.

The next day I do not enjoy how my shoulder feels.

One thing I have noted about the later Ken Abrames Salmo Sax rods (versus the earlier 'stick') is the blank color is very distinctive. It appears to be the same blank that is used in the TFO Deer Creek Spey rods. I suspect if you contacted TFO you might be able to source a tip if you could figure out what their equivalent is on the taper. I have one of these that doesn't get much use these days since getting my Meisers. But I am pretty sure it is the #3 not the #1.

Wow, Mike! If you think the Salmo Sax is "pretty lifeless," I shudder to think how you'd describe most modern fast-action blanks.

We'll chalk this one up to yet another Steve-and-Mike don't agree. :-)

Steve Culton

For the OP:  There is one series of rod I know of that is currently available in 10ft length (8, 9, 10wt).  It's the Douglas LRS two piece rod.  Not expensive.  These come with a detachable rear grip, so can be used single hand (without the added grip) or two hand (with it).  Not the most sophisticated blank technology or materials used in this rod.  I'd say it's a medium action rod.  If you are mostly casting larger patterns and using the extra length of the rod more for mending than for absolute distance this rod series is worth a look.  The added rear grip is not as long as some two hand rod grips, however.

OTOH if the Salmo Sax rod is really built on a TFO Deer Creek blank (which I kind of doubt) there is no way any single hand blank will compare with it.   Suggest you look into that option first.  

I have the Deer Creek 7/8 spey rod (original 13ft 4 piece) and it's a supremely good two hand casting distance machine in the right conditions (not out front in heavy surf or wind).  The blank is unusually strong and the tip recovery is perfect.

Photo of LRS handle arrangement.  Two versions - older one had cork rear grip.  These are all two piece rods (plus grip = 3 piece).

There's even a 10ft 10wt model -- I suspect it would be too heavy to use single handed for an entire session...

LRS-Fly-Handle-D2-older.jpeg

Doug-LRS-newer.jpeg

Steve,

The well designed ones I would describe as vibrant with a nice clean feel. They should also be pretty light. I can’t help feeling that a customised CTS would offer very nice performance. It will be light can be fast without a sloppy tip and will deliver the 10 wt line. Being light  will help with constant line mending to.

It is old tech verses new and for this application I go for new tech over old.

If the KA is still available and RH really likes why not wait out the delivery time. Or go hunting on the used market. Either way a 10’ plus rod casting a 10 wt line  is not going to be a heap of fun if long sessions are the norm or you have fore arms like Popeye after the spinach has been eaten.

Mike

I'm certainly no hulk and I've been casting it for years...sometimes 7+ hours when steelheading.

I find it to be a highly responsive rod. You calling it pretty lifeless is like saying Man U football fans are well behaved!

It's all in good fun, mate. :-)

Literally different strokes for different folks. At least we can agree that your 2H Out Front is brilliant.

Steve

That’s really spooky and funny Steve as I was thinking  the  same.

Mind there is a bit of a difference casting in a frigid river for Chrome than in the ocean.

We do agree on McVities Rich Tea Biscuits  dunked at 2 am into scolding tea courtesy of the Kelly Kettle. Hell we have three points of contact.

ok for fun at the tea mark in Cape Cod bring your KA ,rig me with your two fly rig and lets have at it.

Mike