Rabbit57

Reels size from Min-to-Max

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have a question on reel size min rod wt to max rod wt. 

I have 4 rods. 4wt, 5wt, 6wt coming and my Ross 8wt. with an Orvis Mach V English made. I’ve only used this set up twice since the fishing conditions required it. The reel list it’s rods from 8wt to 11 wt. not that I have a Mach IV it’s rod size is 7wt to 10wt. So, I’m wondering for best over all would be one of the 2 wt in the middle??? I haven’t used my 8wt with the Mach V enough to judge the feel and casting enough to determine if I should buy a reel where my Ross 8wt is in the middle of a IV or any other reel company. 

Primary large fish here is LM Bass from 1.5-4.5 average. Once in a while 5-9lb are caught. In Lake Kinkaid Muskie is the common fish and has tournaments to prove it. 

image.jpg

Your question isn't completely clear to me...But in general I find that a reel marked, say 5-7wt will be a match for (did someone say duh?) a 5wt through 7wt rod -- assuming of course that that rod is a single hand rod, i.e. intended for single hand casting with normal (not spey) fly lines.

As it seems that your reel above is marked 8-11wt and your rod is marked as an 8wt single hand rod, it is on the larger size of the spectrum.  By the look of it, it is at least a size 5.  I know that rod (Ross 8wt RX) and it is not a particularly heavy single hand rod.  Supposed to have been their top tier rod, so lighter than some of their other offerings.  I'd think even a size 3 reel (~6-8wt) would be a better match for it.  If all your other rods are less than 8wt, which it seems that they are, that reel is certainly too large for them.  A size 3.5 reel (9-10) would be the largest I'd go with the Ross 8wt and that would be only if I was intending to use it on other rods > 8wt as well...

Most likely that reel size (and weight) would be best suited for a 10+wt single hand rod, unless the rod is two hand (spey) rod, in which case it is suitable for roughly 7/8wt spey or 8/9wt spey or a two hand overhead surf rod.

Size 2 reel is what I would use for your 4wt and 5wt.  Size 3 for the 6wt (coming) and 8wt.  If you were not going to add a 6wt I would say get a size 3.5 reel for the Ross.  Take that Mach V and hold onto it for if you get a switch rod or spey rod, or a two hand overhead beach rod.  It's simply too large for your current arsenal, IMO.

Posted (edited)

You kinda got my question in order.  For reels I have an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor II for my 4wt Scott. Battenkill LA III for my 5wt St. Croix Imperial and that Mach V for my Ross RX 8wt. I have a 6wt Ross RX coming to me this week. I’m thinking I’ll get another Battenkill LA III or IV for it since now, from you, I can switch the Battenkill II LA back and forth on the 4wt & 5wt. The LA III on the 5&6 and a new Mach IV on the 8wt. If I can find one. I’ll be hoping I can get $275-300 for the Mach V. I’m stuck on the Mach beauty and feel for what little use I go out it. Still mint 

Not knowing any better in the beginning I bought the Mach V for the Ross 8wt which does have a small second hand butt to it. I used 2 hands first time with it casting across a Wisconsin river because I could see Not so small Small Mouths breaking on the other side just below a dam. My heavy fly flew about 35-38 yards. Sadly thinking I’d have to sell the English Mach V and trying to find a IV for it. That’ll be tough. 

so, you confirmed my thought on what I have to do next. 

Edited by Rabbit57

Your best bet I think in getting rid of that Mach V reel is to find someone who uses them as spey reels and needs a spare.  There are far better reels now in that size range for saltwater, including some that cost half as much as your estimate of $275.  The reason is that these reels use the one-way bearing, and are not sealed or even semi-sealed design.  Alternatively hold onto it for when you purchase a spey or switch rod.

Well. I won’t be buying or needed a spay or 2-handed. So I bought on eBay today an Orvis Mach IV with extra spool $300 shipped knowing I’ll have to sell my mint Mach V. 

Well. I won’t be buying or needed a spay or 2-handed. So I bought on eBay today an Orvis Mach IV with extra spool $300 shipped knowing I’ll have to sell my mint Mach V.