linesiderdemdnj

Removing 5 minute epoxy

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey all, I had a guide break on a rod and in order to use it tomorrow I replaced the guide and put 5 minute epoxy on it so it’ll be dried quick enough to use in the am. Is the procedure to remove it the same as regular epoxy? Hoping it is as this is a temporary fix. Thanks. 

Yep! for the most part.If the blank is painted be very careful with heat if you've used it before.

Posted (edited)

I think you "Screwed the Pooch".  AKA screwed-up.

The way I'm reading this is that you used structural epoxy over a thread wrap.

Thread epoxy is not the same as structural epoxy.

Lots of luck removing it without damaging the paint.

I would scrape it off with a single edged razor blade held vertically to the surface.

Either get proper thread epoxy to redo the wrap or give to a rod builder.

Either way you are going to have to cover up the area where the paint was removed with a longer wrap - if you care how the rod looks.

However, perhaps the 5 min. epoxy didn't penetrate the wrap. In which case you are golden.

Herb

Edited by HL

You could of just taped it on and used it to get bye for the day.

Awesome John used a rod with taped on guides for one of his Montauk trips years ago if I remember correct.

If your lucky the 5 minute will come off without being a Pita since it is freshly done.

What would have been wrong with something fast and simple like nail polish? epoxy adhesive wouldn't have been my choice. My dad has a old salmon rod I fixed back in the early 90's with nail polish, he never saw the need to wrap and epoxy it.

Well that sucks. I’m not too concerned about the paint. It didn’t even occur to me that this was an adhesive tbh. I’ve used it on a couple top top guides. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks 

Posted (edited)

Where the epoxy hasn't been on that long.Just cut along the top of the guide foot towards the guide ring.Peel off the thread and pick out the thread at the tip of the guide foot.Once you find the thread that wraps around the blank pull it parallel to the blank towards where the guide foot was and the thread should separate the epoxy from the thread and blank.There may be a point where the thread won't pull anymore.Pick off the separated epoxy and start pulling again.You should be able to remove most if not all the finish.The little bit of residue left on the blank can be smoothed using a single edge razor blade by "gently" scraping 90 degrees to the blank.Take your time and "gently"!:howdy:

Edited by theshadow

You'll have to do something if you are worried about looks, rod finish is casting resin, terrible adhesive, and it has UV inhibitors in it to help keep it clear, virtually the same thing they put on those tabletops in restaurants that has a depth to it. The adhesives have no such UV protection and will go amber and opaque pretty quickly if it the sun a lot.

shouldnt be a problem if you only epoxied where thread was. take your time getting it off and you should be able to get most of it off then you will for the most part be wrapping over so you'll be fine

5 hours ago, theshadow said:

Where the epoxy hasn't been on that long.Just cut along the top of the guide foot towards the guide ring.Peel off the thread and pick out the thread at the tip of the guide foot.Once you find the thread that wraps around the blank pull it parallel to the blank towards where the guide foot was and the thread should separate the epoxy from the thread and blank.There may be a point where the thread won't pull anymore.Pick off the separated epoxy and start pulling again.You should be able to remove most if not all the finish.The little bit of residue left on the blank can be smoothed using a single edge razor blade by "gently" scraping 90 degrees to the blank.Take your time and "gently"!:howdy:

Oh I’ll be gentle alright. Thanks man

2 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

shouldnt be a problem if you only epoxied where thread was. take your time getting it off and you should be able to get most of it off then you will for the most part be wrapping over so you'll be fine

I went over the thread a little bit on both sides of it. I’ll wrap over the problem area once I take it off, I just need the rod to function. No more tidemaster line and this is by far the most useful rod I own so just need it to function. Thanks Mike 

3 hours ago, HarrytheKid said:

Come on Linesider, you can’t leave us hangin!!

How did you make out with the removal/repair??

Tbh man I haven’t even removed it yet, I’m almost thinking about leaving it   It doesn’t look great and the guide I put on is a size too big, got it off a broken rod, but I am building a heaver now for drum season. I’ll probably tinker with it next week. The epoxy isn’t very hard it seems like it won’t be too terribly difficult to get off but I’m not 100% sure. I will update this thread when I do because I will probably have questions. 

Good God Man!!  Based on the above advice, you should be at DEFCON 5, getting that epoxy off before it fully hardens! In my shop, there would probably be a siren going Whoop, Whoop, Whoop! Like when a submarine was going to dive in the old movies!

But then again, I have been known to be a but strident and overly dramatic…