Blazer1185

Beginner surf fly fishing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, Running Ape said:

Second try some freshwater bass on pond that is sheltered from the wind,

This is exactly how I started. Blowing winds would ruin my confidence starting out, so I practiced my casting in sheltered ponds out of the winds. LMB are fun too!

The outfit you picked (used) is a better one than the Redington Coldwater 9wt package.  Especially because of the reel and the line that are included.  Don't over-tighten the drag on that reel though.  Use a moderate drag setting appropriate to whatever tippet (leader material) you are using.  The reason I say this is that the Redington Grande reel has a ridiculous amt. of drag pressure at the top end, and can lock up on you when fighting a fish...

Is the LRS rod the 2 piece or the 4 piece?   The 2 piece rod came with a separate rear handle attachment.  I have an extra one if your 2 piece rod doesn't have it.  Can send to you for the price of postage.

2 hours ago, Killiefish said:

The outfit you picked (used) is a better one than the Redington Coldwater 9wt package.  Especially because of the reel and the line that are included.  Don't over-tighten the drag on that reel though.  Use a moderate drag setting appropriate to whatever tippet (leader material) you are using.  The reason I say this is that the Redington Grande reel has a ridiculous amt. of drag pressure at the top end, and can lock up on you when fighting a fish...

Is the LRS rod the 2 piece or the 4 piece?   The 2 piece rod came with a separate rear handle attachment.  I have an extra one if your 2 piece rod doesn't have it.  Can send to you for the price of postage.

Thank you for the offer the lrs is the 4 piece

On 8/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, Blazer1185 said:

Looking to get started in surf fly fishing looking for tips. Is this a good kit for a total beginner 
Redington Coastal Coldwater 990-4 Field Kit Combo 

Before commenting on the specifics of your post, I would politely ask what is your surf fishing experience to date? Your kit sounds good enough to me because they specifically mention cold water. Having a fly line that performs well in cold weather/water conditions is important. Equally important is having a stripping basket. Don’t ask me why, ask Lou Tabory.

Whatever equipment you buy to get into saltwater fly fishing, my advice to you is to practice with it first, casting fly line in your backyard or open spaces as much as you can before you hit the water.